cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maintnence Free Deep Cyelse 6 Volt Batteries

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
You can find maintenance free 1w volt batteries everywhere.
My T105s have plenty of capacity and long life as long as they are serviced properly.
But adding water every few weeks, especially when sore a distance away is a problem plus the corrosion on everything including he frame.
CW in Oklahoma City said they had Hawk Brand Maintenance Free deep cycles to replace the T105s for around 700.00 for four. I don't know the brand but it seems the only ones around.
And...there is little wiggle room for any differences in size.
AGMS are great but I can't justify the price.
Anyone know of a deep cycle replacement for the T105s?
Seems the market would be large for them.
15 REPLIES 15

psneeld
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
First need to review the age, maintenance and charging of the T105s that is causing the corrosion.
Then you just need a watering system for $150.
And once you go AGM there is no particular reason to use GC2 size if something else fits.

For AGM I recommend Lifeline brand.

Why by going AGM does the battery size not matter any more?
2019 Winnebago Outlook 23C

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
First need to review the age, maintenance and charging of the T105s that is causing the corrosion.
Then you just need a watering system for $150.
And once you go AGM there is no particular reason to use GC2 size if something else fits.

For AGM I recommend Lifeline brand.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
OP not answering.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Maintenance Free Deep Cycle Battery

An oxymoron with regard to a standard wet battery

Like asking for a 12 ply 200 mph rated tire

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
CW in Oklahoma City said they had Hawk Brand Maintenance Free deep cycles to replace the T105s for around 700.00 for four. I don't know the brand but it seems the only ones around.
Hawk brand?
down home wrote:
But adding water every few weeks, especially when some distance away is a problem
Perhaps bring them home... assuming that's what you mean.

Maybe all this trouble means you should 'justify' the price of AGMs.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
What brand battery charger convertor do you have?

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
i see a lot of people adding water every couple weeks to every month and I have to wonder why you are adding water that often. I have a PD charger on my four 6V batteries and I add water twice a year(early spring and fall)

I also just bought a battery watering system for the Camper, the 5th wheel has lots of room but the camper only has about 4 inches of room above the batteries so I will try that out this summer and see how it is.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:

Remember these are golf cart batteries. Most go into carts a golf course where they have several people who make sure that the carts are cleaned and charged every day. Likely the liquid level is checked every day also.

Golf course are not going to pay the premium price for AGM either !

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
THe major cause of corrosion when you use Flooded Wet Cells is mis-information
The 2nd major cause is quick charging.

Per Trojan. and me and I was trained back when this was the most common type of battery. You fill to 1/4 to 1/8 inch BELOW the bottom of the filler tube.. NOT to the bottom but BELOW it.. Over filling means it will spit out not water but dilute sulfuric acid, a corrosive.

I've heard of folks filling to the TOP of the tube.

Over charging can cause it to spit as well. or hyper fast charging.

I run around 500 amp hours plus so I can safely charge at 150 amps.. but I can only make 160 between two converters and they will NEVER hit that level. Thus I never fast charge.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just left Costco. Their 6V's are $90

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Normal battery charging shouldnโ€™t cause any corrosion. Only water vapor, hydrogen and oxygen will be emitted. Only when.a battery continues to draw high current from the charging source long-term will you have corrosion problems.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1

I do believe he is looking for maintenance free 6v batteries.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
You can find maintenance free 1w volt batteries everywhere.
My T105s have plenty of capacity and long life as long as they are serviced properly.
But adding water every few weeks, especially when sore a distance away is a problem plus the corrosion on everything including he frame.
CW in Oklahoma City said they had Hawk Brand Maintenance Free deep cycles to replace the T105s for around 700.00. I don't know the brand but it seems the only ones around.
And...there is little wiggle room for any differences in size.
Seems the market would be large for them.

If maintenance is the issue, i.e. adding water to them when required, and the space for them is suited to GC2 sized batteries, there aren't too many other options that work as well as an AGM version of the GC2 6V T105.
Like these maybe? Only $299.99 (plus tax?). If your $700 CW quote was for 2, then this price is about the same.
https://www.amstron.com/amstron-gc2-6v-agm-deep-cycle-battery/
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I searched CWโ€™s online store. Response was โ€œNo results for "Hawk battery"
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad