cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OTR Indoor Antenna

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking to get local live stations. I know the rooftop antennas work well but is anyone using one of those OTR Indoor Antennas? Don't really want to put an antenna on the roof but was wondering if any of the indoor antennas are worth using.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
27 REPLIES 27

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
I use old rabbit ears and get many channels. I am within 10-20 miles of the stations.

As I remember, the rabbit ears were best for VHF signals. Most stations, at least in my area, are broadcasting UHF, which works better with one of the antennas made for UHF. They come in a variety of configurations. The multiple bow ties are pretty good but any you try should be amplified. If there's any way I would try an outdoor variety or, at least, an attic mounted.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
$39 for antennae & rotor. $25 for 2 10ft chain link line rail. Bag of cement. 22 channels but don't watch any of them.

Went with Hulu live for less than half of DTV. Try it for 7 days free.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
The square antennas will pick up the UHF stations but not the VHF stations. Channel 10 and 7 where I live transmit on VHF so I need the rabbit ears. I also point the antenna at the transmit towers and use an amp on my antenna. Place the indoor antenna by a window for best results.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

csh_2088
Explorer
Explorer
I have the small rabbit ears on the outside of mu Capri Camper and was in Loveland, Colorado last week and picked up about 20 channels. No matter what antenna you have the closer to civilization you are the more channels you get.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I use this one from Clearsteam. It's available at Walmart or Bestbuy as well. I live about 40 miles from the nearest towers and it picks up everything perfect. I like the small 20" size. Never found any indoor antenna that would work very well.
https://www.amazon.com/ClearStream-Indoor-Outdoor-Antenna-Mount/dp/B007RH5GZI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2DVV7Y...
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
Sorry I should have been more clear, I meant for the sticks and bricks.

I'm dumping cable TV and their constant price increases.

Been there, done that. After a many research on OTV websites I bought Channel Master, I think it was This one, 40 miles range.

Put it on the 2nd floor South balcony, with 4-floors building right across, and local TV tower on the North (i.e. no any kind of line of sight to the tower). 10 out of 12 channels worked well, 2 worked intermittently. It is "sort of" omnidirectional, very wide angle of reception, so no frequent adjustment was necessary. Picture quality was perfect. In a digital era these antennas either work well, or don't work at all, not like 10 years ago with analog channels when you could sometimes get a stable but poor picture.

If you have a direct line of sight to the tower, pretty much any antenna will work. Even a 3 ft piece of wire will get you some channels.

Free TV broadcasting sucks. Too many commercials, and all shows and movies are old and/or not the most popular. Worse than very basic cable plan, though not much worse. Sold it a few years later.

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know of any indoor antenna that will work well. It all depends on the height of the antenna and obstructions. Any trees or buildings in your way will degrade your signal. We started with a fairly expensive flat one you hung on the inside wall. This worked no better than a $12 set of rabbit ears. Then put a standard antenna in the attic. This worked better but even the framing members and the shingles degraded the signal. We then moved it outside to the roof and now we are told this is as good as we will get without putting it up higher on a pole. No rotor was needed as all our station transmitters are fairly close together. In the end we were quite satisfied and donโ€™t pay anything to watch tv.

MrWizard
OTR ?
What does that mean ? Over the Range?

Broadcast TV is usually referred to as Over The Air
OTA
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link that will show you all the over the air stations and their direction from you. They also sell antennae's.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
austinjenna wrote:
I know a lot of folks who would argue with you on that.
I'm not one of them however so I'll drop it here.

I do know some folks who put it in the attic.

They can argue if they want, but they would be wrong. Link

Yes they can. and they may well be.. but as I said. I'm not one of them. So we can drop this sub thread.. Looks like a useful link however if I ever move back to a sticks and bricks in an HUA area (no that's not a typo)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer

They can argue if they want, but they would be wrong. Link

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
austinjenna wrote:
IF you have an HOA rule against outside antennas. Try putting it in the attic (Provided you do not have a metal roof)

You HOA cannot stop you from putting a TV antenna on your house, the FCC calls is Over-The-Air Reception Devices and by law you can put one on your house.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rabbit Ears - old style but worked better than anything Inside my sticks and bricks.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
IF you have an HOA rule against outside antennas. Try putting it in the attic (Provided you do not have a metal roof)

You HOA cannot stop you from putting a TV antenna on your house, the FCC calls is Over-The-Air Reception Devices and by law you can put one on your house.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K