cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Switch: Was Red, Now Green

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I have 2 propane tanks on my motorhome and there is a switch in the middle that directs which tank you want to use. I read the manual (really) and it said when one is empty the switch will change from green to red and start using propane from the other tank. I've been running the furnace a bit at night and so this morning I checked. Both tanks started out full on this new RV I bought. The switch had been on the right tank (for no particular reason). This morning the switch was red for the first time. I think this means the right tank is now empty and it is now using the left tank. I switched it to the left to see if it was green. It was green. Then I switched back to the right tank where it was red and now it shows green. I went back and forth several times (and again a few hours later) and now they are both showing green. So what does this mean? A bad switch? An almost empty tank? I now have the Coronavirus? I actually got an email from the Texas Parks Department today telling me that someone at Cedar Hill State Park tested positive for COVID-19 so they are closing the park. They wanted to tell me because I was there Sunday. I've got no signs yet. I think my broccoli will kill any virus.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
10 REPLIES 10

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put the lever back to the left and fill the right cylinder. Enjoy the furnace.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
The Red/Green is a pressure gauge. When you switched over the pressure rose. there may be a check valve to keep the pressure from "Bleeding" down into the empty tank.. So unless you draw propane off by some means it will continue to show GREEN till something turns on.

Recommendation: Refill the empty tank.

That's right. If you closed both valves and reduced pressure in the line (open stove, re-close) then opened both valves with the selector on the right empty one you could probably duplicate the entire experience.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Red/Green is a pressure gauge. When you switched over the pressure rose. there may be a check valve to keep the pressure from "Bleeding" down into the empty tank.. So unless you draw propane off by some means it will continue to show GREEN till something turns on.

Recommendation: Refill the empty tank.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure that the lever is in the left position before you unhook the right tank to go get it refilled. Or turn off the left tank if you don't need it for anything until you get back with the newly refilled right tank. I can't say all regulators act the same way but just to be sure.
Puma 30RKSS

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I'm with salem on this one since I've observed this many times. As said close the left tank and run a stove burner. once the pressure bleeds out of the line the gauge will go red.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
rdhetrick wrote:
My guess is that the temperature rise during the day caused enough of a pressure increase in the tank to push the indicator up to green. I'm sure it's empty though, so time to get it refilled.

Ding, ding, ding....winner!

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly the reason it stayed green when you switched it back to the empty tank is due to it having pressure in the lines. Close your left tank. With handle pointing toward right tank, turn a stove burner on. This will relieve the pressure. Your gauge should turn red.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Well, 82 yesterday on Lake Tawakoni. 52 this morning.

I've seen temp variations like that make the cutover switch go from empty to full and back several times in the past six years of full-timing.

I always take the 'empty tank' off the trailer and get it refilled. Some times it only will take 6.5 or 6.6 gallons in that situation, rather than 6.8 as is normal.

I've never replaced the switch.

When it shows empty, plan to fill it at the first opportunity. And 84 degrees today might make it flip flop again.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Howie3
Explorer
Explorer
You could always unhook the right tank and lift it to see if it was indeed empty. I never knew for sure about how the indicators read for both tanks.

I'll keep my fingers crossed on your not getting coronavirus from the park. I'm sure the broccoli will kill it though. I read it on the internet.

Howie

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that the temperature rise during the day caused enough of a pressure increase in the tank to push the indicator up to green. I'm sure it's empty though, so time to get it refilled.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E