cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter location

Community Alumni
Not applicable
In our last tt, I mounted our 500 watt inverter inside the main cabin,away from the batteries. In our new fiver I have a couple of options, inside the front compartment, or inside the pass thru compartment. Decided on a 1000 watt psw and will be installing either a Kisae or Xantrax single circuit 15 amp transfer switch. I know they recommend not installing the inverter in the same compartment with the batteries, but how sealed is that compartment? The batteries are already in a vented box, can I mount the inverter in the front compartment with the batteries. I could keep the run to the batteries a whole lot shorter mounting in this compartment. Thanks for any input!
9 REPLIES 9

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
jpstorms wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone. The slide controller is in that compartment, so I'm not too worried about corrosion. Front compartment it is, should be able to keep the cables to less than 3'.

I bought a pair of 1 gauge 25' booster cables for $35. If you did the same you could shorten the cables by a few feet and have 20' foot set of booster cables and 5 feet of inverter cable for $35.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
My inverter is mounted on the Front Bulkhead of the Front storage area, right on the opposite the batteries. So just a short jumper through the bulkhead to the batteries.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thanks for the input everyone. The slide controller is in that compartment, so I'm not too worried about corrosion. Front compartment it is, should be able to keep the cables to less than 3'.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I would put it in the front compartment, and higher than the batteries. That compartment is not well sealed at all. And if you're not seeing corrosion on things in the compartment now, you won't. It would also be a good reason to upgrade your batteries to AGM if budget permits.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
I used the 2000w model and put it over the duallies about 4 feet from the batteries than ran 120 over the converter and used two of the Zantax relays to power the coach 120 plugs
Winnebago Access 24V

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
As close to the batteries as possible to avoid DC voltage drops. It's always better to run the AC output longer , much less voltage drop on AC.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Closer to the batteries, the better !!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
WindyNation installation booklet: โ€œThe controller may be mounted in an enclosure with sealed batteries, but never with vented/flooded batteries. Battery fumes from vented batteries will corrode and destroy the TrakMax MPPT circuits.โ€

IMO an inverter would come under the same rules.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnโ€™t mount anything electronic (inverter, controller etc.) in a compartment with batteries....corrosion. For instance WindyNation specifically addresses this regarding their controllers.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad