Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Inverter location
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Inverter location

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
jpstorms

Carthage, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our last tt, I mounted our 500 watt inverter inside the main cabin,away from the batteries. In our new fiver I have a couple of options, inside the front compartment, or inside the pass thru compartment. Decided on a 1000 watt psw and will be installing either a Kisae or Xantrax single circuit 15 amp transfer switch. I know they recommend not installing the inverter in the same compartment with the batteries, but how sealed is that compartment? The batteries are already in a vented box, can I mount the inverter in the front compartment with the batteries. I could keep the run to the batteries a whole lot shorter mounting in this compartment. Thanks for any input!

2016 HD2500 6.4l Ram Hemi QC
303RLS Grand Design Reflection
Yamaha EF3000iS

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t mount anything electronic (inverter, controller etc.) in a compartment with batteries....corrosion. For instance WindyNation specifically addresses this regarding their controllers.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WindyNation installation booklet: “The controller may be mounted in an enclosure with sealed batteries, but never with vented/flooded batteries. Battery fumes from vented batteries will corrode and destroy the TrakMax MPPT circuits.”

IMO an inverter would come under the same rules.

Kountryguy

Emery,SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Closer to the batteries, the better !!

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As close to the batteries as possible to avoid DC voltage drops. It's always better to run the AC output longer , much less voltage drop on AC.

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the 2000w model and put it over the duallies about 4 feet from the batteries than ran 120 over the converter and used two of the Zantax relays to power the coach 120 plugs

Winnebago Access 24V

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would put it in the front compartment, and higher than the batteries. That compartment is not well sealed at all. And if you're not seeing corrosion on things in the compartment now, you won't. It would also be a good reason to upgrade your batteries to AGM if budget permits.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

jpstorms

Carthage, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input everyone. The slide controller is in that compartment, so I'm not too worried about corrosion. Front compartment it is, should be able to keep the cables to less than 3'.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My inverter is mounted on the Front Bulkhead of the Front storage area, right on the opposite the batteries. So just a short jumper through the bulkhead to the batteries.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jpstorms wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone. The slide controller is in that compartment, so I'm not too worried about corrosion. Front compartment it is, should be able to keep the cables to less than 3'.

I bought a pair of 1 gauge 25' booster cables for $35. If you did the same you could shorten the cables by a few feet and have 20' foot set of booster cables and 5 feet of inverter cable for $35.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Inverter location
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.