Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Unusual tire wear
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Unusual tire wear

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
spotrot

Indian Rocks Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The outer treads on my steer tires have apparently worn to enough to expose a different rubber compound. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this. The rest of the tread is excellent.

The tires are 245/70R19.5 Bridgestone R250 and according to the charts have been over inflated if anything at 90 psi on a light front end (in spite of the relative heavy wear on the outer treads).

Bridgestone CS had no useful info, just said to take it to Larry, Curly and Mo at my local tire dealer for inspection.

Thanks
John
I'd post a photo if I knew how

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

might be an alignment issue. hit any particularly bad potholes lately?

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds more like a front end alignment problems. Have it checked, realigned at a truck shop that specializes in alignment, frame and spring issues.
If you have the same tires all around the RV, it would be time to have them rotated.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

spotrot

Indian Rocks Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies

Camber and toe are good

When the tires were new, we had to drive westward for 2 days with unrelenting 30 mph cross winds - that took a fair amount off the outer treads. Other than that trial, no suspension issues.

I just wanted to make sure that what I'm seeing is not a different rubber layer just above the cord. And wanted to know if there was a particular issue with those tires.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO the tires should be inspected by a reliable tire shop. If they are 22.5 tires, I'd use a shop specializing in truck tires....we can't offer you advice on the safety of those tires without a visual inspection. They may be safe, but they just as well may be dangerous. Don't compromise the safety of yourself, your family and those who share the road with you....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/20 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience over the years is that the F53 chassis RVs drive much better if the toe-in is set at the maximum positive value in the manual. Affected much less by wind/passing trucks. Much less steering corrections needed. The downside is I have always experienced outer edge tire wear when I have the shop make sure that is what the setting is. Have had a couple RVs in the past that when I got them required a lot of correction going down the road. When checked, one had zero toe-in, the other had been slightly negative. When the tech set them to the high end of the manual value, they drove far better. We always get around 50-55K miles out of rear tires, the fronts I'll change out at 40K due to outer edge wear. I'll swap some tire wear for more relaxed driving any day. I'm guessing your RV tracks like a railroad locomotive going down the road. This is, of course, assuming that the front end is tight and you keep everything properly greased. I'm a firm believer in chassis lubricating at every oil change. I don't think you could possibly wear out the front end on an F53 if you do that. The coach body would turn to dust first.

Belting 1313

Gresham Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/20 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with all that has been said it most likely is an alignment issue. However you did say something interesting about the front end being light. It is possible that if you are running to light on the front it will cause odd tire wear.

spotrot

Indian Rocks Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

My experience over the years is that the F53 chassis RVs drive much better if the toe-in is set at the maximum positive value in the manual. Affected much less by wind/passing trucks. Much less steering corrections needed. The downside is I have always experienced outer edge tire wear when I have the shop make sure that is what the setting is. Have had a couple RVs in the past that when I got them required a lot of correction going down the road. When checked, one had zero toe-in, the other had been slightly negative. When the tech set them to the high end of the manual value, they drove far better. We always get around 50-55K miles out of rear tires, the fronts I'll change out at 40K due to outer edge wear. I'll swap some tire wear for more relaxed driving any day. I'm guessing your RV tracks like a railroad locomotive going down the road. This is, of course, assuming that the front end is tight and you keep everything properly greased. I'm a firm believer in chassis lubricating at every oil change. I don't think you could possibly wear out the front end on an F53 if you do that. The coach body would turn to dust first.

Thank you to all who commented and I especially appreciate the info re toe on F53 RVs - that kind of info is only available from experienced RVers.

The actual stock weight on the front tires of this 30' RV is less than the any value on the weight/tire pressure chart for these 19.5 tires. I think the chart was wrong because the tread wear indicates wear would have been more even if the pressure was always 100 psi or more,

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally speaking, over-inflation causes the center of the tire to wear and under-inflation the outside edges. The way to get the proper inflation is to weigh the axles, preferably the individual corners. This should get you in the ballpark of the proper tire pressures.

If both the inside and outside edges of the tire are worn, under-inflation is the problem. If just one edge is wearing, it is most likely an alignment problem.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

spotrot

Indian Rocks Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zigzagrv wrote:

Generally speaking, over-inflation causes the center of the tire to wear and under-inflation the outside edges. The way to get the proper inflation is to weigh the axles, preferably the individual corners. This should get you in the ballpark of the proper tire pressures.

If both the inside and outside edges of the tire are worn, under-inflation is the problem. If just one edge is wearing, it is most likely an alignment problem.

All accurate info. What perplexes me (and may be of use to others) is that I weighed each wheel, and then used the charts for air pressure for that size tire. In fact I actually increased the air pressure over what the charts recommended but the tires still wore much faster on the outer treads. My guess: the chart was wrong or this particular tire construction makes the outer tread wear down prematurely

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Unusual tire wear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.