Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Unusual tire wear
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Unusual tire wear

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Bikeboy57

Inverness, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hang on. If that is a photo of your concern, then whatever you are looking at is not tire wear. The grooves in the sipe aren’t even disturbed. Those grooves will wear away long before you have an issue.

Also most either didn't read or missed your comment that the “wear” is on the outside of one steer tire and the inside of the other. That is not a typical alignment issue.. Stop by a tire shop and have them looked at instead of trusting the experts, especially me, on this forum.

* This post was edited 04/02/20 12:34pm by Bikeboy57 *

Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

Bikeboy57

Inverness, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know how to view the other pictures, the links dead end for me.

Can you quantify, the tread wore quite a bit? 1/16, 1/2 or something else.

Would also mind posting what your corner weights were? Wouldn't hurt to have someone else confirm your tire pressures.

And I am totally confused, are you reacting to measured tire wear or the change in color in the photo?

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/20 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spotrot wrote:

wolfe10 wrote:

Contact Roger Marble-- this is what he did for a living (retired tire forensic engineer):

Roger monitors the FMCA Forum and is on the FMCA Technical Advisory Committee.

You can make a post in this area: https://community.fmca.com/forum/17-tires/ There is no cost to participate in the FMCA Forum and is even open to non-FMCA members.

Just click on "Start new topic".

Thank, very informative site. I tried posting with "start new topic" but it now requires that you pay an annual fee to join and post

Incorrect. You do not need to join FMCA to participate in the FMCA Forum.

Right on the forums home page is a option to create a forums only account if you do not want to be a member.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

johnalex

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's somewhat difficult to tell how much wear there is, yet this appears as though the base compound being uncovered. Nothing to stress over, then again, actually you are exceptionally close to expecting to supplant that tire. ***Link Removed***
Foundation: When a tire is made, the track elastic is expelled in a section, slice to length, at that point folded over the uncured tire and the parts of the bargains piece are grafted together to frame a smooth, consistent looking track. (Note: The track join is cut at about a 45° point)

spotrot

Indian Rocks Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

spotrot wrote:

wolfe10 wrote:

Contact Roger Marble-- this is what he did for a living (retired tire forensic engineer):

Roger monitors the FMCA Forum and is on the FMCA Technical Advisory Committee.

You can make a post in this area: https://community.fmca.com/forum/17-tires/ There is no cost to participate in the FMCA Forum and is even open to non-FMCA members.

Just click on "Start new topic".

Thank, very informative site. I tried posting with "start new topic" but it now requires that you pay an annual fee to join and post

Incorrect. You do not need to join FMCA to participate in the FMCA Forum.

Right on the forums home page is a option to create a forums only account if you do not want to be a member.

Thank you again - your direction helped me find the place to create a forums only account

spotrot

Indian Rocks Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bikeboy57 wrote:

I do not know how to view the other pictures, the links dead end for me.

Can you quantify, the tread wore quite a bit? 1/16, 1/2 or something else.

Would also mind posting what your corner weights were? Wouldn't hurt to have someone else confirm your tire pressures.

And I am totally confused, are you reacting to measured tire wear or the change in color in the photo?

Thank you for your reply. The different color appears to be a softer substrate and that was what concerned me.

The front weighed in at 2,700 lbs per each tire. The load information chart for 245/70R19.5 lists no values for less than 80 psi / 3640 lbs. My RV's weight is well below (25% below) that, I ran 90-95 psi and the tires still wore significantly more on the outer treads. (And it checked the gauges I used with another gauge.)

Just a FYI in case it helps others.

Thanks to all for your comments and tire information. It was a good learning experience.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perspective is difficult with that one picture. Need one straight on to the tread. Both fronts would help. And maybe a rear tire to compare.

Does not look especially bad depending on miles and age.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had similar wear on my Freightliner with 22.5" wheels. I started looking around and found a lot of heavy trucks with front tires worn like that. A trucker friend told me that he runs 10 to 15psi more than the Goodyear chart recommends in his steering tires to control edge wear. I have started doing that but don't have enough miles on them yet to see the effect. I suspect that it has to do with side loads and a relatively crude suspension when compared with a car.

spotrot

Indian Rocks Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't need to ponder this anymore: last week at the end of a trip across Florida, a big front vibration quickly emerged. Upon inspection, the tires were significantly cupped on the outer tread. When removed, a pronounced bulge on the inside with distortion in the tread at that location seemed to indicate a separation in a belt. So it appears that the problems were due to a structural issue in the tires.

Like Groover advised, I'll run 10-15 psi more than what the chart lists.

FYI: McGee tire in Daytona installed Firestone ST230 tires for $667 out the door. Good tech and good service.

Thank you all for your interest and good comments

grldst

Dallas, GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had this happen with two different motorhomes, 2 different chassis same tire manufacturer...Sumitomo.

On present motorhome, a freightliner chassis with 275x70x22.5, both front tires have wear on outside edges. This is after 4 yrs, approx. 40,000 miles. Just yesterday I rotated the front tires to the back. I plan on running these tires another 2-4 yrs.

Not sure what causes this, but have not seen it with Michlen or Toyo's that I have run. On a previous motorhome, I even had "rivering" in the tread on one tire, and "cupping" on another. Otherwise I've had good luck with Sumitomoes.

Just doing the one time rotation, I've been able to age the tires out.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Unusual tire wear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.