Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Unusual tire wear
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Unusual tire wear

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are correct that typically when a tire displays a different color rubber it is about to hit the belts. I would have them looked at. But be prepared to purchase two new tires.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goodyear Tire Pressure Chart

I find this chart to be good for any brand tire.

There should be a chart somewhere in the motorhome with the recommended tire pressures. 85 psi is a good starting point. The most accurate way is to weigh the axles or all corners.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spotrot wrote:

zigzagrv wrote:

Generally speaking, over-inflation causes the center of the tire to wear and under-inflation the outside edges. The way to get the proper inflation is to weigh the axles, preferably the individual corners. This should get you in the ballpark of the proper tire pressures.

If both the inside and outside edges of the tire are worn, under-inflation is the problem. If just one edge is wearing, it is most likely an alignment problem.

All accurate info. What perplexes me (and may be of use to others) is that I weighed each wheel, and then used the charts for air pressure for that size tire. In fact I actually increased the air pressure over what the charts recommended but the tires still wore much faster on the outer treads. My guess: the chart was wrong or this particular tire construction makes the outer tread wear down prematurely

First, with regard to evenness of tire wear vs inflation pressure, there are forces at work that are stronger.

For example, steer tires tend to wear in the shoulders and drive tires tend to wear in the center. This effect is on the order of 3 times stronger than the effect inflation pressure has.

And lastly, the charts aren't wrong. Those charts are generic in nature. That is, they are published by a tire standardizing organization and are used by EVERY tire manufacturer when designing tires!

Plus, they are MINIMUMS, not recommendations. You should be inflating the tire MORE than what the actual weight/chart says. In fact most vehicle manufacturers add about 15% to the max load to get the specified inflation pressure - and the tire manufacturers know that, so they take that into account when designing tires. In theory, then, if you used the actual weights and the chart to set the tire pressures, the tires are going to wear like they are underinflated - and still, the effect wheel position has will be overwhelming.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

spotrot

Indian Rocks Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

spotrot wrote:

zigzagrv wrote:

Generally speaking, over-inflation causes the center of the tire to wear and under-inflation the outside edges. The way to get the proper inflation is to weigh the axles, preferably the individual corners. This should get you in the ballpark of the proper tire pressures.

If both the inside and outside edges of the tire are worn, under-inflation is the problem. If just one edge is wearing, it is most likely an alignment problem.

All accurate info. What perplexes me (and may be of use to others) is that I weighed each wheel, and then used the charts for air pressure for that size tire. In fact I actually increased the air pressure over what the charts recommended but the tires still wore much faster on the outer treads. My guess: the chart was wrong or this particular tire construction makes the outer tread wear down prematurely

First, with regard to evenness of tire wear vs inflation pressure, there are forces at work that are stronger.

For example, steer tires tend to wear in the shoulders and drive tires tend to wear in the center. This effect is on the order of 3 times stronger than the effect inflation pressure has.

And lastly, the charts aren't wrong. Those charts are generic in nature. That is, they are published by a tire standardizing organization and are used by EVERY tire manufacturer when designing tires!

Plus, they are MINIMUMS, not recommendations. You should be inflating the tire MORE than what the actual weight/chart says. In fact most vehicle manufacturers add about 15% to the max load to get the specified inflation pressure - and the tire manufacturers know that, so they take that into account when designing tires. In theory, then, if you used the actual weights and the chart to set the tire pressures, the tires are going to wear like they are underinflated - and still, the effect wheel position has will be overwhelming.

Thank you for the comment - very interesting. My take-away from that is to inflate the tires substantially more than the chart and then rotate the tires from front to back.

It is still surprising to me that while all of six tires measure 13/32s on all four tread grooves, the steer tires have just the edges of the outer tread significantly scrubbed off, particularly the left outer on one and the right inner on the other. Perhaps those 2 long drive days fighting a very strong cross wind did that damage.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unusual tire wear is always an indication of one of two or three things (one is obvious)

1 If the wires are wearing either only in the center or everywhere but the center of hte tread... Like the upper and lower cases in the word trEad or tREAd

The problem is inflation under inflation wears the T and D over the E if

If it's one side or the other.. (Inner or outer edge) Alignment..
There are some other alignment wear patterns as well.

Sidewall wear.. Brushing up against the curb.

EXCEPTION oversize tires can rub on body parts.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/20 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please post a few pictures of the actual tires.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spotrot wrote:

Thank you for the comment - very interesting. My take-away from that is to inflate the tires substantially more than the chart and then rotate the tires from front to back.

It is still surprising to me that while all of six tires measure 13/32s on all four tread grooves, the steer tires have just the edges of the outer tread significantly scrubbed off, particularly the left outer on one and the right inner on the other. Perhaps those 2 long drive days fighting a very strong cross wind did that damage.

Possible.

But your first post talked about the wear revealing a different rubber compound. Someone mentioned posting a photo - and that is a good idea.

But I can tell you that some tire manufacturers use what is called a "Sidewall over Tread". This is where the sidewall is applied last in the building process.

When the tire wears, the sidewall will appear as a small sliver on the outermost rib. Perhaps that is what you are seeing?

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All 4 inside with 25,000 on LT E's

[image]
[image]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Odd looking steer axle. Did the OP send those to you?

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they are wearing on the outside edges then it's an alignment issue. Too much toe in. My MH when I bought it sucked to drive. It was all over the road. The previous owner did a lot of suspension work including an alignment. I belive they traded it in because they couldn't get it to drive straight. Turns out the professional alignment that was done had the toe set at 5/8" toe out. The tires were new enough that they only showed very little inside feathering. I took a tape measure and checked and the toe was definitely out of spec. I found the specs on line and it should have been set at 3/16 or so toe in IIRC. So I did a tape measure alignment and it drives straight with no wander and no more tire wear.
So I would double check the alignment even if you had it checked some techs just don't care to do it properly.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Unusual tire wear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.