Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Buyers market?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Buyers market?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
robmharper

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

First post here so I hope I didn't already make a mistake by misplacing the category.

We have owned a double slide truck camper for about 7 years now. We are heading down the path of a 40' DP MH. Our price range is $90K. My question for the group is do you feel the timing is good or bad for buying a DP?

I live in California and we are probably days away from interstate travel shutdowns. Already in the Bay Area, people are getting cited with misdemeanors for traveling the highways. We are ordered to shelter-in-place. My thought is that this may just ruin the RV market. We don't know how long this Covid-19 situation will last.

Since a good majority of the current sellers of DP's are older retired folks, I hate to think that we may be soon taking advantage of some really good deals out there, while also taking advantage of unfortunate people.

On the other end, maybe this is the worst time ever to be buying a MH given the park closures and travel restrictions. But living through the 2008 crisis, I remember losing 50% of the value of my home. This isn't going to be easy either way.

Good or bad time to buy a DP MH? Should I wait for what may be better deals down the road or hold off anwait to see if we can even use the darned thing?

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not feel bad about buying an RV that is priced well due to a down market. The person selling the unit needs money and you are helping them out by buying it or they would not have it for sale.

2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess if you think you're taking advantage of a seller, you can always offer more than their asking price.

Have no idea if it's a buyers market now or not. Could be in the future, but Im guessing the majority haven't felt the pinch enough yet to sell their RV.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone with a DP has to be smart enough to hold onto it until this virus blows by. I would think your options are throttled because those sellers aren't dumb enough to put their motorhome on the market right now. DP owners are not the same as 30 year old toyhauler owner with a tax check burning a hole in their pocket.

KWinzer

San Jose, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it’s worth, we are planning to sell our 40 foot diesel RV this year. However, we store it in an indoor facility, and with the restrictions on us, I don’t feel comfortable going there to empty it out and clean it to get it ready to sell. (We are also in California, in the Bay area.)

I don’t know if other people have the same issues.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/20 04:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last MH I bought the seller had to write a $10,000+ check to the bank to pay off his loan because my offer was less than he owed on his loan. He did not have to take my offer but my offer was the best that he had gotten in 4 months of trying to sell the coach. Business is business.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

The last MH I bought the seller had to write a $10,000+ check to the bank to pay off his loan because my offer was less than he owed on his loan. He did not have to take my offer but my offer was the best that he had gotten in 4 months of trying to sell the coach. Business is business.

I had a friend who did the same thing but, it was only $5000. He wanted to sell and felt it was the best deal for him.
Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
I wouldn't feel bad about buying something at a lower price than it's worth.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

buy at what ever price you and the seller agree to your both happy thats all that counts good times or bad.

jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/20 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, is it a good time? I’d say not yet, but soon. The full effect of the economy shutdown is a few months away. Lost jobs and the need for cash will cause a glut of new / almost new rigs being on a fire sale manufacturers/ dealers are sitting on way too much inventory ( they will soon file bankruptcy) which will lower values for the used market. People haven’t realized they are in big trouble yet , they will. But just not today. JMO
This too will pass it always has .. smart people wait and buy the down times , if they have the cash or ability , most are not in a position to buy which is why you can Get a deal. I don’t feel bad buying something Cheaply as it gets them out from under a big problem even if it greats a smaller problem for them.

* This post was edited 03/26/20 06:37am by jorbill2or *

Bill

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jorbill2or wrote:

Actually, is it a good time? I’d say not yet, but soon. The full effect of the economy shutdown is a few months away. Lost jobs and the need for cash will cause a glut of new / almost new rigs being on a fire sale manufacturers/ dealers are sitting on way too much inventory ( they will soon file bankruptcy) which will lower values for the used market. People haven’t realized they are in big trouble yet , they will. But just not today. JMO
This too will pass it always has .. smart people wait and buy the down times , if they have the cash or ability , most are not in a position to buy which is why you can Get a deal. I don’t feel bad buying something Cheaply as it gets them out from under a big problem even if it greats a smaller problem for them.

This. It will most certainly be a buyer's market in the near future. You will see ads for RV's explode in volume within the year.

2020 F350 STX
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Buyers market?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.