cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip Planning by mile

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a site or app that will let you plan by miles? For example....what city is 250 miles from where I am, etc. TIA

MOD's EDIT: Changed topic title from "Trip Planning by mike" to "Trip Planning by mile" because Mike is busy and can't help with trip planning right now.
9 REPLIES 9

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I use Google maps as well. It seems like the best all around package. Gives traffic, satellite views, street views, easy to drag a point to the amount of miles you want, etc. And just generally very easy to use. The only useful thing it doesn't have is height or length option. I do wish though I could create a map where I choose my route on my desktop and send it to my phone it would work without having to add way points to force it to work on the phone version. Hope that on made sense.

One little surprise I found using Google maps is we have reservations next winter for Fort Wilderness for a couple weeks and sure enough they have Street View of all the loops! How cool is that:C

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Easy way.... Google maps.
1. Right click on your location on the map and choose "Directions from here".
2. Right click on the map on whatever main route you intend to travel and select "Directions to here".
3. Look at the miles it says it is between the two locations.
4. Click the second location and drag it closer or further to get the miles or hours you want to travel.

This is what I do.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:

Now I thought I invented that method. LOL! It works great.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
1. Right click on your location on the map and choose "Directions from here".
2. Right click on the map on whatever main route you intend to travel and select "Directions to here".
3. Look at the miles it says it is between the two locations.
4. Click the second location and drag it closer or further to get the miles or hours you want to travel.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
I like Google Earth. The measure tool allows you to draw a circle of a defined radius...say 150 miles. Then it's easy to see what destinations are along the circle.

Google Maps doesn't have the same tool. If you know where you want to head, they do have a measure tool. Right click where you are and drag in the direction you plan to head until you get the preferred distance.

It is a good idea with either to run the directions function...particularly around mountains or bodies of water where straight line distances may be misleading...ie: if you have to divert 50 miles to the nearest mountain pass along a twisty road, it could be a lot longer drive than it appears.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

sblackb7
Explorer
Explorer
You can use RV Trip Wizard to plan by miles and then download the file to Google Maps which is better than Apple's Safari Maps. You have to have a google or gmail account to sign into before downloading.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I use Google maps but it is not as neat as the one just mentioned. I put in two addresses to see how far it is from one to the other.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dedmiston
Another vote here for RVTripWizard.

Those concentric mileage rings were great for trip planning. You can configure the size/distance of the rings for your own driving preferences.

I used the tool on my tablet too. It worked great on the road (not while driving).

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
RVtripwizard has radii rings(3) that you can set for various distances as the crow flies. They also have hours of drive time.