Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 1977 Sunline Truck Camper FULL BUILD
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > 1977 Sunline Truck Camper FULL BUILD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 11/20/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/18/21 02:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:



I would recomend against anyone venting a battery like this. what you have done by venting into your propane compartment is allowed a potential propane leake into the camper any time your fan is not running. since you have it hooked up to only run when you are pluged in and the batteries are charging any other time propane can travel into your camper, especialy if you are using an interior fan which would put your camper into a negitive perssure.

Steve


Hell, I was thinking even more simply, you just created a direct route for ignition since both batteries and propane tanks both off gas, nevermind leaking into the living space.

The fact that the batteries are not separate from the charger also gives an ignition route, which is traditionally why the batteries are fully cut off from the rest of the camper in the same fashion the propane tank is.


My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL


notsobigjoe

southeast

Full Member

Joined: 09/15/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/18/21 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:



I would recomend against anyone venting a battery like this. what you have done by venting into your propane compartment is allowed a potential propane leake into the camper any time your fan is not running. since you have it hooked up to only run when you are pluged in and the batteries are charging any other time propane can travel into your camper, especialy if you are using an interior fan which would put your camper into a negitive perssure.




Steve


Hell, I was thinking even more simply, you just created a direct route for ignition since both batteries and propane tanks both off gas, nevermind leaking into the living space.

The fact that the batteries are not separate from the charger also gives an ignition route, which is traditionally why the batteries are fully cut off from the rest of the camper in the same fashion the propane tank is.



OP, I agree with the statements above. They have plastic battery boxes that come with vents you can vent to the outside for this exact purpose. I put one of these in my back seat to my dually and it worked perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vented+battery+box&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

It looks like you have the room. I would go this route instead of what you have. Unless of course you go AGM non vented even then I would vent them properly. Really nice build!

Kxracer704

NE Pennsylvania

New Member

Joined: 03/26/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/19/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate all of the replies and advice on the battery vent system. This camper and battery ventilation system is a work in progress and can be improved.
I did not think about the negative pressure that probably will occur when running the ceiling vent fan. I’m currently thinking/designing modifications to the battery vent system shown in the video for improvements.
Any other advice is welcome.
Thanks,
Jay

towpro

Compass PA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/08/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/19/21 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used plastic storage bin for batteries, add a vent tube on bottom and top, both going outside.
[image]

* This post was edited 01/19/21 02:44pm by towpro *


Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/19/21 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Led acid batteries vents light gas, so vent only on the top is needed.





JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 11/20/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/19/21 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my setup, I framed and boxed in where the batteries are, then used a section of abs pipe with a louverd vent cover on the outside that goes straight through the tub wall (As my battery boxes are inside the two dinette seats) at the highest point in the compartment.

I sealed all the seams, including the vent, (Aside from the access hatch) with automotive seam sealer, then coated the inside of it in herculiner.

For the opening where the wires and the battery filling hose are exiting the compartments, I filled in the gaps with fire barrier expanding foam.

For the hatch, I also coated it with herculiner, and then installed threaded fittings into the top of the frame to accept screws and then lined the edge of the hatch with foam gasket tape. Once the screws are tightened down through the lid, the compartment is air tight to the camper's interior and has a vent directly outside to allow for the off gassing.

My charger/converter is part of the main distribution panel from Progressive Dynamics, so its on the other side of the camper.

A set of #4 wires will be run from the main battery use selector (I have charging and use on two different switches) and charging unit so that I can separate which bank is getting charge and which is in use (That way I can make efficient use of generator run times for charging when off grid, so the used battery bank is solely the recipient of the energy coming from the charger and amperage isn't being lost to regular loads).

1/0 it used going from the batteries to usage selector (And to the ground plug that the inverter connects to) and from the use selector to the 150 amp breaker for the inverter (Its #4 past that point because the main load panel doesn't need more than #4). Charging is entirely #4 because the converter only puts out 45 amps and that's more than sufficient for the distance run.

* This post was edited 01/19/21 12:22pm by JoeChiOhki *

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 01/20/21 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Led acid batteries vents light gas, so vent only on the top is needed.


I think the idea of using a vented battery box is that you dont need to power vent it then, reducing electrical loads.

Steve


2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Kxracer704

NE Pennsylvania

New Member

Joined: 03/26/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

In my setup, I framed and boxed in where the batteries are, then used a section of abs pipe with a louverd vent cover on the outside that goes straight through the tub wall (As my battery boxes are inside the two dinette seats) at the highest point in the compartment.


Any recommendations on the style of louver for going to the exterior of the camper?

towpro

Compass PA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/08/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is all they use on a 5th wheel. This hose goes to the top of the box, and it has an equivalent size hole on the bottom, both vented outside so there is not negativity pressure on either opening.
hydrogen is lighter than air so it rises up out the top vent.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 01/21/21 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

Here is all they use on a 5th wheel. This hose goes to the top of the box, and it has an equivalent size hole on the bottom, both vented outside so there is not negativity pressure on either opening.
hydrogen is lighter than air so it rises up out the top vent.


just keep in mind on a 5th wheel this is in a space where it doesnt matter if weather gets in or not as it is usaly the front genny capable compartment there put in or the other end of that attaches to a box that the battery is in. here is the rest of the set up that your link should go with
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Vented-Battery-Boxes-p/55-1722.htm

Steve

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > 1977 Sunline Truck Camper FULL BUILD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.