Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 1977 Sunline Truck Camper FULL BUILD
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 1977 Sunline Truck Camper FULL BUILD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that front compartment on a 5er is still not where you want to vent a battery.

that box you show still seals shut pretty well around that edge. In fact you will probably find the top and bottom 1/2's are bolted together when in use.
This box also has a vent sticking out the bottom that goes through a hole in RV floor so it vents to outside air. than that hose on top also goes to outside air so air can pass through box as battery causes heat and chimney affect.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

that front compartment on a 5er is still not where you want to vent a battery.

that box you show still seals shut pretty well around that edge. In fact you will probably find the top and bottom 1/2's are bolted together when in use.
This box also has a vent sticking out the bottom that goes through a hole in RV floor so it vents to outside air. than that hose on top also goes to outside air so air can pass through box as battery causes heat and chimney affect.

My front compartment is the genny space, my storage is behind that, and it is also where the battery boxes were mounted from the factory. there are open holes in the metal floor and vents on the top, plus it is free venting to the propane doors which also have open bottoms. so in my case yes the front compartment is where I want to put my batteries. if I go to LFP then I will move them in to the actual heated storage.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You really designed yourself into a pickle on this one…that venting system is in no way adequate…even with the fan on, the equipment you have in there with the batteries all has spark potential. As it is, changing those batteries will be a nightmare, plus the fact that there is no way to check the water level with how they are installed. Even if you used a mirror to check the water, filling them will be a mess. Plus, ANY opening from the propane compartment to the inside of the camper is a big safety hazard.

I’m thinking you have two options to save this:

Option 1, use heavy duty drawer slides to create a platform where those batteries can pull out. Then you can mount the batteries in a plastic tub, sealed with a lid and vented to the outside. You've got them sitting on a plastic storage bin lid, just put them in that bin and put the lid on top. Run a vent hose to the exterior wall with a louvered grill. Leave enough slack in the hose and wires to pull out the tray so you can remove the lid and check water level. A variant on this is to install a vented hatch and have the tray slide out to the exterior.

The batteries have to be in a sealed container or compartment, and that container or compartment must be vented to the outside. It’s not enough to just vent the storage area, and the batteries must be isolated from any other spark producing equipment like converters and inverters. AND you need to patch up that hole you cut in the propane compartment.

Option 2, and the path I would probably take at this juncture, would be to pony up for lithium or gel batteries. These don’t need to be vented so it preserves the installation design. They also don’t have water levels to be checked. The only hassle will be changing them, but that’s a 7 year event. Make the countertop removable, so when the time comes they are easy to remove/replace. You’ll have to re-do the wiring for 4-12v but that’s not a big deal.

Otherwise, good design. Any solar in this setup?

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Kxracer704

NE Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

You really designed yourself into a pickle on this one…that venting system is in no way adequate…

I have since realized that the venting is not adequate. I’ve built the camper from the ground up, so anything can be changed to make improvements. Thanks for the recommendations.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're really doing some nice work too!

If you stay with the lead acid batteries, don't forget to make some provision to check and add water at least once per year.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kxracer704 wrote:

JoeChiOhki wrote:

In my setup, I framed and boxed in where the batteries are, then used a section of abs pipe with a louverd vent cover on the outside that goes straight through the tub wall (As my battery boxes are inside the two dinette seats) at the highest point in the compartment.

Any recommendations on the style of louver for going to the exterior of the camper?

I actually found them pre-made in the roofing aisle at home depot. They make round soffit louvers caps that have a screen in them that fit perfectly inside of a 2" piece of ABS pipe.

Mine extend past the skin about an inch and a half and I angled the opening just a bit to match the curvature of the aluminum skin on the outside.

As to the subject about watering the batteries, that's very easily taken care of with a water filling cap kit for the batteries themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2000-........=Battery+Water%2Cautomotive%2C315&sr=8-3

This method only requires connecting a squeeze ball assembly and inserting the hose into a jug of distilled water and squeezing till the ball becomes first (The battery caps have floats in them that close when the batteries reach ideal water levels).

I am using this method on my rig as well, so I only have to open one compartment up to go and water the batteries periodically.

* This post was last edited 01/25/21 07:18pm by JoeChiOhki *   View edit history

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Kxracer704

NE Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Kxracer704 wrote:

JoeChiOhki wrote:

In my setup, I framed and boxed in where the batteries are, then used a section of abs pipe with a louverd vent cover on the outside that goes straight through the tub wall (As my battery boxes are inside the two dinette seats) at the highest point in the compartment.

Any recommendations on the style of louver for going to the exterior of the camper?

I actually found them pre-made in the roofing aisle at home depot. They make round soffit louvers caps that have a screen in them that fit perfectly inside of a 2" piece of ABS pipe.

Mine extend past the skin about an inch and a half and I angled the opening just a bit to match the curvature of the aluminum skin on the outside.

As to the subject about watering the batteries, that's very easily taken care of with a water filling cap kit for the batteries themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2000-........=Battery+Water%2Cautomotive%2C315&sr=8-3

This method only requires connecting a squeeze ball assembly and inserting the hose into a jug of distilled water and squeezing till the ball becomes first (The battery caps have floats in them that close when the batteries reach ideal water levels).

I am using this method on my rig as well, so I only have to open one compartment up to go and water the batteries periodically.

Thanks for the advice

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kxracer704 wrote:

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Kxracer704 wrote:

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Thanks for the advice

Most welcome [emoticon]. For yours, since you can't direct anchor through the top of the pipe like I was able to, a flat abs flange like the kind used for attaching to holding tank could be used on the inside wall with a bead of automotive seam sealer between it and the compartment wall-side, which would allow you to screw it into the wall material to keep the joint in as much compression as reasonably possible.

The outside louver I mentioned, I simply used a 1/2" self-taping screw to secure into the end of the pipe to keep it from vibrating out, I did not put any sealant between the outlet side of the pipe and louver, so to allow as much air flow as possible, as mine extend out from the wall a little ways on the outside because they're exit point is below the overhanging wing of the outside wall, so visually they are out of sight, out of mind and because they're painted to match the rest of the camper, they're not an immediate eye grabber. The louver was mainly meant to act as a rain and bug preventer in my setup, because the camper itself shelters the outlet from the majority of rain that could get to it.

In your case, you will likely want to seal the the pipe to the outside skin in some fashion, as the louver itself will not have a big enough flange to seal to the wall on its own.

There are exterior battery vent louvers that you can get that are plastic, but they are designed for use with a flexible hose coming off a battery box and may require some extra engineering to make work with a rigid pipe going through the wall.

Also, make sure you get the pipe at the very top of the battery compartment space, so that you don't get a pocket of pooled hydrogen gas trapped above the vent.

Shr3k

Winter Park

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep up the awesome build! I've been really enjoying it.

Kxracer704

NE Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Latest Video...
BATTERY VENT HOOD VERSION 2.0 - Truck Camper Build Part 31

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 1977 Sunline Truck Camper FULL BUILD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.