cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frog in fresh water holding tank!

Diggumfish
Explorer
Explorer
Title says it all with this one! I went to fill my fresh water tank in my 26ft greywolf TT and when I open the cap there’s a front in the hose! I must admit he had to have gotten in there recently when I forgot to cap it, but how in the world can I get him out of my tank before it riots and makes a whole other mess or problems? I tried to drain the tank from underneath, but the drain definitely wouldn’t pass this frog he’s a little chubby. I’ve looked every where for advice on what to do, aside from remembering to recap my fresh water outlet I’ve had no luck! Would love if anyone had any recommendations!
38 REPLIES 38

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:
No problem! In a few days he will croak.

seriously, I think it's just A Bull Frog.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
One of the many reasons I never drink the water out of the fresh tank. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
My son had a Dolphin gas motorhome that he and his family lived in for over a year while his new home was being built. This MH had the fresh water tank in the rear area around the rear axle. It had a 1.5" or 2" tube that ran from the rear of the MH to the tank. Son thinks it must have been a breather tube like the one that go up through the roof normally.

While cleaning one day he noticed something dark inside the white translucent tank. Luckly, it was accessible from the top via a hatch in the floor.
He had to cut an opening in the top of the tank and install a cover that is used on boats to access the inside of the tank - almost identical to the first one linked above by fisherman. He stuck his arm in the hole and pulled out a mouse!:E.

It was not possible to replace the tank so he used a sponge type mop with a 3 or 4ft handle to scrub the whole interior of the tank. Then he rinsed it well and filled it with bleach water and let it sit for awhile then rinsed it several times.
He, his wife, and two children and a dog then lived in the MH for about a year without a problem.

He never told any of them what had happened and they do not know about it to this day!
I am spilling the beans here but doubt that they will see this. Hope not! :W:B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
True story years ago.

Left the lid off my daughters turtle sand box,thunderstorm filled turtle.

In a matter of days tree frogs congregated and laid eggs. When they hatched moved them into a 125gal aquarium.

When they grew limbs they crawled out of Aquarium and had an infestation of tree frogs in the house with their very loud serenade in the night.

I captured most if not all and released them to the trees.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Well to be realistic, hopefully the OP can remove the tank from the trailer or at least gain access to the top of the tank. There are products to install an access port for "removing frogs" and general cleaning. http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com/tanklid.htm Here's another one. https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?name=dometic-universal-holding-tank-cleanout-kit&path=-1|51|2234299|2234304&id=197164

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:
No problem! In a few days he will croak.

Ha ha, thats a good one!
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Before you all start going off on this guy look where he is from. In Florida we have small frogs that can climb the empire state bldg and get into everythung

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
Put a snake in the tank and the snake will eat the frog.

Yeah, then you’ll need to put in a mongoose to eat the snake, then a leopard to eat the mongoose.....where does it end???

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Assuming the OP isn’t pulling our leg, she’s probably talking about a tree frog. Those dang things can crawl and hang on to any surface, vertical, horizontal, or upside down. You wouldn’t believe some of the weird-a$$’ed places I’ve found those around and in our house.

I wouldn’t leave it in the tank if it was me. I’d figure out a way to use the overflow line to fill the tank up till it was flowing out the fill port and hopefully float that thing out of there.

:):)

That's what I'm thinking, reading the OP's post - a tree frog got in the fresh water fill spout when he left the fill cap off. They are not very big and can indeed climb almost anywhere with their suction-cup-like feet, and are fond of hiding in damp confined places during the day.

I expect he would come out at night - others have already addressed how you might be able to figure out if he left or not.
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Put a snake in the tank and the snake will eat the frog.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
tommyznr wrote:
Name him Jerimiah. He will be a good friend of yours. You won't understand a single word he says but you can help him drink his wine, and he always has some mighty fine wine.

Joy to the World

that's funny!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I can see how a frog *could* get into a freshwater tank: if your white hose isn't screwed onto itself in storage, a small frog could take shelter inside, etc. How do I know? In Florida, we have little Anole lizards running everywhere. My hose hadn't been connected to itself - so I hooked it to the faucet and screwed a srayer onto the other end. Turned on the water - and got nothing! It seems an Anole was somewhere in the hose and the water pressure blasted it into the sprayer. When I took the sprayer off - all I saw was the tail.... and there's no way to fish one out of a sprayer because the tail simply breaks off 😞 Fortunately, sprayers are cheap - and I now ALWAYS make sure my stored hose is screwed onto itself so no lizards can crawl inside
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps it is not a frog but a toad instead.. Buy a Blue OX tow bar and hitch it behind your RV.

To toad or not to toad. that is the question.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
OP gone. thanks for the laugh
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman