cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hwy. 95 in Idaho

2stepn
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at traveling on Hwy. 95 in between Parma and Lewiston Idaho with my 5th wheel. The rv map I have doesn't show this to be a friendly rv route. I am wondering if anyone has traveled this route with their rv and what their thoughts were as to: how rv friendly this route was.
Thanks
Bill
2008 F250sc 4x4 V10 4:10 TorqShift
2014 Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
9 REPLIES 9

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pulled my semi and travel trailer on 95 many times. Pretty scenery, some open range, a few hills, and some places to pull over on the river north of Riggins for a lunch stop. Gas up in New Meadows, Grangeville, and Lewiston. Nice ride.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
US95 starts on the Snake River, and crosses mountains and uplands, while the Snake flows through Hells Canyon. Along the way, 95 travels along the lower Salmon River, a major tributary. Lewiston is the lowest point in Idaho.

So the grades are mainly the result of passing in and out of those river valleys.

The drop from New Meadows to Riggins on the Salmon is relatively long and gentle. The climb at White Bird to the Grangeville Plateau is more noticeable. Another long drop to Lewiston, and again the climb north out of Lewiston is significant.

Google Maps with terrain mode gives a good idea of where you are crossing in and out of these river valleys. Directions in Bicycle mode show an elevation profile.

The only alternative is I84 well to the north west, and US12 back east. That has freeway grades, but actually climbs higher.

At Whitebird there's an old grade, that is longer, gentler and twistier, designed for old cars with a lower power to weight ratio. It passes a historic battle field. There is also an old grade north of Lewiston.

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
It’s a pretty route
Winnebago Access 24V

2stepn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for you posts.. Sounds like it will be a good trip.
Bill
2008 F250sc 4x4 V10 4:10 TorqShift
2014 Eagle HT 26.5 RLS

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Whitebird Northbound is 2700 ft climb in 7 miles.

Steeper grade than the Ike Gauntlet but much lower elevation. 4200 ft at the summit.

Good three lane road with lite traffic except on weekends in the summer.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Agree. With the properly equipped tow vehicle you will not have any problems with Whitebird or Lewiston hill. The rest of the route is good two lane. Some areas with no to minimal shoulders, but that's about it. A lot of stops on the wide side of the road south of Riggins, for a break. Another climb north of Weiser, and a good rest area on that hill that you can get in and out easily. A downgrade south of New Meadows and north of Cambridge/Council, slow and steady. Open range in that area so be alert.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoyed that road pulling my TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
There should be no issues with 95. Yes that Whitebird is a pretty fair grade, 7 miles if I am correct, but a nice drive. You will take your time...
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a good two lane road with some steep sections but should not present any problems with a properly equipped tow vehicle. Just don't be in a hurry especially at Whitebird, that is a mother of a hill! Idaho is one of my favorite states.