Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Spearfish, SD
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/20 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garmp wrote:

Secondly both the DW & myself have respiratory issues and don't want to get in to too high elevations.

Wyoming can sneak up on you. It doesn't seem like it when you're in the flats, but even places like Laramie are at 7,000' in town before you even head up into the hills.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Expanding our search for campgrounds to Montana. Thinking about seeing the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument and would like to camp near by. But need electric. About the only thing I can find is Tongue River State Park, Montana. Not the cloest, but has power.
Any thoughts on this park or any other near the monument?

Also in Wyoming, we want to see the Devil's Tower, but the only campground I can find near there is a KOA and really don't want to refinance the coach to spend a night. WOW! Any other campgrounds around there, with electric, worth staying?
Boy the pioneer life in the wild west is rough! Can't find many, if any parks with conveniences without selling the farm.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/20 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know ahy you'd want to spend that much time at that park, it's small and there just isn't that much to see.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garmp wrote:

Expanding our search for campgrounds to Montana. Thinking about seeing the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument and would like to camp near by. But need electric. About the only thing I can find is Tongue River State Park, Montana. Not the cloest, but has power.

Also in Wyoming, we want to see the Devil's Tower, but the only campground I can find near there is a KOA and really don't want to refinance the coach to spend a night. WOW! Any other campgrounds around there, with electric, worth staying?
Boy the pioneer life in the wild west is rough! Can't find many, if any parks with conveniences without selling the farm.

That is why many of us have our rvs ready to go with no hookups..
If I were you, I would look at skipping Custer until you were done with Custer Battlefield. They are quite a ways apart. Honestly, Wind Cave NP as a drive through will show you more wildlife than Custer SPs Wildlife Loop. They are actually connected.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garmp wrote:

There is a CG in Harden, that is FHU. Very near the Battlefield. Not the nicest we have stayed in, but adequate for a couple of days. You likely will just sleep there and tour the area during the day

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like going to Custer State Park with stops on the Needles Highway, the Coolidge Mountain Fire Tower scenic overlook, and the burros. We carry vegetables to give to kids to feed the burros. The kids enjoy that. If you are physically able to take a cave tour, I would suggest either Jewel Cave or Wind Cave or both. The caves are very different even though they are only 30 miles apart.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Finally Time

Western Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a campground right next to Little Big Horn National Monument, I stayed at 7th Ranch RV Park
Pleasant owners, very clean, quiet park with full hookups and good sized spaces.

'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc, Is this the park you were referring to? If not which one?
Finally Time wrote:

For a campground right next to Little Big Horn National Monument, I stayed at 7th Ranch RV Park
Pleasant owners, very clean, quiet park with full hookups and good sized spaces.

I was going to ask about this place. You said it was nice. We only plan to spend one night there. Which do you fell is better: see the Monument park then check in or spend the night and see the Monument the next day? We only have a couple hour drive that day.
thanks all

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/20 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry, the name of the place is Grandview Campground. Service station across Mitchell street from it. Closer to the Battlefield than the 7th, but does have some permanents. Not sure how to post a picture from Google maps. We've been to the Battlefield a couple of times. Sad place when you figure what went on there and see where folks died. Museum is very interesting.
I guess the time of day you arrive is the key to which to see first. I know the parking lot for the Battlefield and cemetery (there is a national cemetery also) gets pretty crowded and you cannot turn a 40 ft rig and a towed Jeep around in it with the crowd - believe me, I KNOW! [emoticon] [emoticon]

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.7390766,........gAlVLastt9jIJatyP8o9w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

* This post was edited 03/29/20 04:59pm by an administrator/moderator *

horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Finally Time

Western Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote Finally Time For a campground right next to Little Big Horn National Monument, I stayed at 7th Ranch RV Park Pleasant owners, very clean, quiet park with full hookups and good sized spaces.

Quote I was going to ask about this place. You said it was nice. We only plan to spend one night there. Which do you fell is better: see the Monument park then check in or spend the night and see the Monument the next day? We only have a couple hour drive that day.
thanks all

I would check in, then see some of the other things in the area. I would wait to go to the monument early the next morning to beat the crowds and heat. I was surprised how much there was to see at the battlefield. I think I could have spent all day there.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.