cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Access to Grey Water Holding Tank

KevinandHarvey
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, We own a 2002 Winnebago Suncruiser Class A. Have an issue with a leaking from the grey water tank. Water leaks over the frame, undercarriage of the rig. How can I access this tank? K
11 REPLIES 11

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Awesome. Glad you got it fixed and reported back.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you really want to access either the black or grey tanks unless absolutely necessary. We had to do it in our 2001 Adventurer and it was a royal PITA.

First off you have to remove a couple of the side panels. They're held in place by screws on a top and bottom flange. To get to the screws you have to remove the trim belt.

Once the trim and panels are removed you have to remove a set of sheet metal panels between the main floor and the sub floor. Once the screws are removed you have to get a thin putty knife under the sheet metal and slowly break the caulking type seal. The sheet metal panels are thin and the glue/caulking is strong. It takes lots of patience to keep from destroying the panels.

Once you gain access to the tanks you'll find there's very little room to work on them. You have to be a bit of a contortionist just to get to the plumbing connections.

We had a leak where the fitting from the toilet meets the black tank. We didn't know it until we had driven about 250 miles and were pulling in the drive. As we went up the slope you could see black gummy crud dripping out the back of the motorhome.

It took several hours to access the tanks, and another couple hours to flush out the smelly goo. Once everything was clean It was a real chore to get into the area and find the problem.

Once we found the problem we quickly realized the repair was beyond our capabilities. We didn't have the tools or components to replace the broken connection to the tank. In the end we took the motorhome to the Forest City service center. Even though we had already gained access to the tanks it took the better part of a day to repair the connection. We stayed overnight and they leak tested and reinstalled the panels the following day.

It's not a process I would wish to repeat. If we have a similar problem in the future the motorhome will go directly to Forest City.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

KevinandHarvey
Explorer
Explorer
Hey gang! Found the issue. Pulled up the whole outdoor shower assembly and discovered that the Grey Drain Pipe joint had separated! Three minutes later it was fixed. I did call Winnebago Tech and they were great however still no solution to how to access the rest of the tank. So all fixed. Thank You all for your help!!!!
Harvey

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Going to assume you know it's the grey by the levels going down on that specific tank? What about the blade/gate valves in the wet bay? Also can you see any connections in the wet bay?

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not your RV, but when we had this I was able to find it and see from the sewage connection compartment door. I was able to find it and took a while to figure out how to reach it. Not easy but did get the bad connection cut out and put back together with out so many joints. Straight runs then cut as needed to get it all back to a working condition.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Why don't you call Winnebago service? They are very helpful.
2010 Suncruiser

KevinandHarvey
Explorer
Explorer
I have been under the rig. The tank is not visible or โ€œmounted underโ€. Seems to be installed , sandwiched between the main floor and subfloor. Crazy. Canโ€™t find any access.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
KevinandHarvey wrote:
Thank you! Dennis looking at this diagram, the grey water tank is located closer to the middle of the rig. It is unclear to me how to get access. Worst case is there access from inside under the floor?

Have you tried crawling under to see if it's a leak on the tank itself, or a connection? A camera scope can be had on Amazon for about $20, and are great for scoping out leaks etc that are otherwise physically hard to get to. They work with your smart phone.

KevinandHarvey
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! Dennis looking at this diagram, the grey water tank is located closer to the middle of the rig. It is unclear to me how to get access. Worst case is there access from inside under the floor?

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Winnebago Plumbing Diagrams...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Go to http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Plumbing.htm
Select your year and model.
Lots of other specs and parts info available from Winnebago.
2010 Suncruiser