Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Small Window AC vs Roof Top Air
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Small Window AC vs Roof Top Air

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely a window unit..The Honda 2K doesn't even know it
s there..Quieter than roof air also by quite a bit..Roof air raises the overall height of your TC camper also..Roof air is super expensive and window units can be had for like $99 on special and draws less than 5 amps..

My truck camper did not have roof air and I was going to put one on until I looked at the prices..It was getting into the high 90's here so I tried a 5K window unit I had in the garage..At like 95 degree's out I was about 72 degree's inside on the low setting and it was super quiet compared to any roof air I have ever had..(There noisy)

So I am sold on the window units..Quieter/less power draw/easily ran on a Honda 2K in eco-mode/there not heavy/they don't raise your overall height which is very important to me and why I came back to a TC..

I only put in my rig when I think I might need it..

[image]

[image]

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

In my experience roof airs rarely fail. I still have a 1987 Vacationeer with its original roof air that works great. I’ve had others that old or older that still worked great.
The roof is the best place for an AC. That’s why they’re almost always up there.
Heat rises.
If you go anywhere that gets really hot, you’ll wish you had the roof unit.
As far as replacement goes, roof air for the win again. They’re all designed to fit a standard 14”x14” hatch. Window units are all different sizes. Good luck matching it if you have to replace it.
Everyone is talking about what’s cheapest. But roof air is what’s best.

I agree with burningman. Heat rises, get the roof AC.

I did have one die on my other camper. I bought a brand new one for under $500 and its a piece of cake to replace.

AC units are not a high failure item.

And I would think that with a window AC the air will be constantly be blowing directly on you.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I did have one die on my other camper. I bought a brand new one for under $500 and its a piece of cake to replace.

AC units are not a high failure item.

And I would think that with a window AC the air will be constantly be blowing directly on you.

I’ve had two items fail on my TC. The AC and water pump. I think it’s one of the highest failure items. Also, it’s not easy getting a 100 lb item on the roof. I do wonder where you bought a new rooftop AC for $500. Mine was more like $1000 for a low profile unit installed.

As far as heat rising and air blowing on you goes, AC vents can be pointed whatever direction you want.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

They have adjustable louvers to blow air where needed away from you if needed..High or low and side to side....

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I’ve had two items fail on my TC. The AC and water pump.

I am trying to think of what has not failed and I had to replace...

Oh..The oven..laffin

On topic,I have replaced two RV air conditioners,One on a Class C motorhome and the other on a Lance TC..

They do fail and leak...

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember, you get what you pay for. That's your answer as to which unit will do the job when its really hot, right there.

Touring in our 2010 Suncruiser, beaches, site seeing, national parks, chillaxing..

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who did you threaten to get a new roof unit for $500? I have not seen anything close to that. $1000 is more typical.

I lucked out and bought a USED roof unit off an old popup trailer for $75.

I would not consider installation easy. Between getting the roof vent unstuck from the roof, cleaning up the leftover adhesive and caulk, fixing the screw holes from the vent cover, reinforcing the roof, and heaving 100lbs of delicate awkward machinery 8-1/2ft into the air TWICE, it was a project.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IB853347201 wrote:

Remember, you get what you pay for. That's your answer as to which unit will do the job when its really hot, right there.

Sometimes, you just pay for specialized ACs. [emoticon]

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$500 unit? That's mine, yes.
I got lucky maybe. I browsed ebay and found a "refurbished" unit in August I think for $500. It is a Coleman Mach-something 5200 btu. New shroud and everything about it looks new. It works perfect. I had settled on paying more but found this, score!
I dont think you will find them this cheap hardly ever, and much less likely now that it is warm.

I originally bought for my truck camper so I could run off the Ryobi 2200 gen. Worked perfect, but I took it off and put the 13500 unit back on to sell since the 13500 is a more standard option that I think would be more attractive to a buyer. Plus, I wanted to keep it since I have a little gen.

It is now on my cargo conversion/ toy hauler cargo camper.
I really wanted to put a window unit in the cargo camper, but just could not come up with an easy way to mount it without eating up valuable interior space. I was going to mount a window unit completely inside, so needed a bigger box to allow air to circulate around the AC unit, so taking up even more space, then needed to cut giant holes in either the floor or the wall, which I was not wild about either. The 5200 Mach8 is low profile at only about 8 or 10 inches high, so in the end was the best option for me and the cargo trailer is only 5 foot interior height so the overall trailer height is still not so tall.

All the previous post in favor of a roof unit (except making your already tall camper taller) are correct and valid. I agree, Roof units do not have a high fail rate, but if they do can be costly.
Get what you pay for , referring to $99 window units, not so. Millions of these sold, so the per unit price will be lower than the per unit of a roof unit. Quality here is not correlated to price when comparing RV items with household items. A $200 window unit will be more quality than the $99 likely, and the $200 unit will be high quality and more on par with the roof unit.
Just my opinion.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ugly looking, Jay.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Small Window AC vs Roof Top Air
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.