Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Small Window AC vs Roof Top Air
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Small Window AC vs Roof Top Air

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

All the previous post in favor of a roof unit (except making your already tall camper taller) are correct and valid. I agree, Roof units do not have a high fail rate, but if they do can be costly.

Everyone uses there TC's for different reasons..A roof AC ads to the height of any RV and for those that use there RV's back in the woods,that extra height causes issues..I am 10' to the top of my ladder rack and one reason I bought this TC for dodging tree branches on old forest service and logging roads..

Rooftop AC's has certain issues over window units..One is the sun and the AC shroud which I have replaced a couple times..I bought a cover but it seemed a pain and I drove off with it on losing it..If the shroud gets to much sun and cracks,then it will leak...

The roof AC sometimes have issues with the gasket sealing it to the roof..Sometimes you can just tighten it a little more and your good to go,other times that don't work and you have to pull the AC and replace the gasket..That is a pain..

The biggest gripe I had with a roof AC was the noise even in larger trailers/fivers and motorhomes..There really noisy while a window unit is not near that..A 13.5 roof AC on a TC cycles to much as I found out the hard way..Live and learn..LOL

Did I mention roof AC units are noisy,especially in a TC?..LOL

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other option I am thinking for my conversion is U-shape AC.
They seem to be easier available lately and prices go down.
You can carry it inside and set in the window when needed.
For cold month - you just leave it at home.
Roof units on RV are noisy becouse they have to suck and blow all via 14" hole, what require high air speed.
I have factory roof AC on my Sprinter van, who has much bigger hole connecting to the interior and with several smaller outlets it is much quieter.
But in reality no AC is going to be quiet and the "white noise" they make covers campground & generators noise.
Truckers sleep with their huge engines running and they can't even sleep when it is quiet.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Who did you threaten to get a new roof unit for $500? I have not seen anything close to that. $1000 is more typical.

Dometic Roof AC Unit

It only took a second to google it. I bought mine 3 years ago.

It was a piece of cake like I said to replace. Its only held in place with four bolts.

And I just set it on a pallet and lifted it up to the roof with a skid steer.

They have adjustable vents?? Really?? LOL

* This post was edited 03/27/20 10:31am by specta *

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when I was looking at Casitas they had an option of a roof type unit or thru the wall. to get a taller hanging closet you had to get the roof type because of their design. but their "window" unit only stuck out an inch or two. I certainly wouldn't want one with most of the unit hanging out. and I hated my RVs air conditioners before I got them with a wall mounted control, not the old twist knobs type. save the bucks only if you can stand the noise, etc. of the window units.
bumpy

Dagwood_55

Atkins, Ar

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont know how a window unit could be any louder than a roof top AC. Ours in our 5th wheel is so loud you cant hear the TV. So if its not too hot we run the bedroom during the day and the LR unit during the night.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dagwood_55 wrote:

I dont know how a window unit could be any louder than a roof top AC. Ours in our 5th wheel is so loud you cant hear the TV. So if its not too hot we run the bedroom during the day and the LR unit during the night.

That's how I ended up with an extra window unit..We had a new 30' travel trailer and the roof AC made so much noise that I bought a window unit and put it in the bedroom through the escape hatch..It kept the bedroom like a walk in cooler and that's where I parked when it got hot..LOL

The window unit is 10X quieter than a roof mount..Watching TV was quite nice with it on in the closed space off a TT bedroom...Same in the truck camper,barely heard watching the TV..

In my old Lance TC the brand new roof AC(13.5) i put on because the old one quit,was so noisy and constantly cycling,we rarely used it because of the noise..Watching the TV on the loudest setting was a chore and un-settling..Not so with the window unit and it keeps my 9.6 TC really cool..

I would love to see an option for a window unit install on a TC like they do in other small RV's instead of an AC meant for a larger RV..

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be tempted to get the wall unit and cover the roof with solar in an attempt to cool the TC when off-grid.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JD5150

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go with a wall unit if I had the choice. I would go with a 8,000 BTU or 12,000 BTU Toshiba, Smart, Wi-Fi Remote, Energy Star. 8,000 runs off of 5.9 amps and the 12,000 BTU runs off 8.7 amps. Both are 115 volt. You can buy them at Home Depot. Both are on HD website. Small generator will power either. Bundutec will probably need the measurements or have one dropped shipped to Bundutec before build starts.

Can't wait to see your rig once it's done [emoticon]

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many different small window A/C units available. Some use significantly LESS power than others ! Buyer beware !! Shop and compare before you buy (unless you are always on shore power and there is no charge for electricity)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would investigate one of those free standing internal AC units before I would hang a window AC out the side of my RV.
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Small Window AC vs Roof Top Air
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.