Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: ? L E D taillights
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > ? L E D taillights

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/28/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

the last time I was rear ended, it was due to total negligence of the other driver. that excuse of a brake light coming on quicker, sounds to me more like a reason to convince the wife that, "yes dear, it makes sense to spend $14.99 for a perfectly good bulb whereas the current 99 cent one is perfectly adequate.
the requirement for an eye level brake light is more meaningful than a millisecond faster reaction.
bumpy


Do you just sit around and wait to disagree with people? I bet you're a miserable old crusty to be around. EVERY single post I see you on it's like you are fishing for an argument or a chance to be condescending. Eat a snickers dude.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/28/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

the last time I was rear ended, it was due to total negligence of the other driver. that excuse of a brake light coming on quicker, sounds to me more like a reason to convince the wife that, "yes dear, it makes sense to spend $14.99 for a perfectly good bulb whereas the current 99 cent one is perfectly adequate.
the requirement for an eye level brake light is more meaningful than a millisecond faster reaction.
bumpy


Do you just sit around and wait to disagree with people? I bet you're a miserable old crusty to be around. EVERY single post I see you on it's like you are fishing for an argument or a chance to be condescending. Eat a snickers dude.


I just respond to BS when I see it.
bumpy





MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 06/01/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/28/20 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too many near misses with the road. 2 years with LED brakelights. Far fewer incidents of burning rubber noises behind me. Texting? Important to avoid collisions with heavily over insured Mexican drivers.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/29/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

the last time I was rear ended, it was due to total negligence of the other driver. that excuse of a brake light coming on quicker, sounds to me more like a reason to convince the wife that, "yes dear, it makes sense to spend $14.99 for a perfectly good bulb whereas the current 99 cent one is perfectly adequate.
the requirement for an eye level brake light is more meaningful than a millisecond faster reaction.
bumpy


Do you just sit around and wait to disagree with people? I bet you're a miserable old crusty to be around. EVERY single post I see you on it's like you are fishing for an argument or a chance to be condescending. Eat a snickers dude.


I just respond to BS when I see it.
bumpy


The OP's post - "If you have regular tail, stop, turm taillights, can they be changed over to plug & play lights "

I don't see any BS. I see a question. Try to be helpful for a change or move on.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/29/20 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

the last time I was rear ended, it was due to total negligence of the other driver. that excuse of a brake light coming on quicker, sounds to me more like a reason to convince the wife that, "yes dear, it makes sense to spend $14.99 for a perfectly good bulb whereas the current 99 cent one is perfectly adequate.
the requirement for an eye level brake light is more meaningful than a millisecond faster reaction.
bumpy


Do you just sit around and wait to disagree with people? I bet you're a miserable old crusty to be around. EVERY single post I see you on it's like you are fishing for an argument or a chance to be condescending. Eat a snickers dude.


I just respond to BS when I see it.
bumpy


The OP's post - "If you have regular tail, stop, turm taillights, can they be changed over to plug & play lights "

I don't see any BS. I see a question. Try to be helpful for a change or move on.


the OPs question can easily be answered with a yes or no, and references/links to replacements.
the BS comes in when the claim is made that the 10 microseconds quicker lighting up will save the world. a more effective accident avoidance would be to increase distance between you and the vehicle ahead. who here adheres to the one car length per 10 mph or whatever, from my observances nobody does. reaction times, tire/brake condition, etc. etc. have more effect IMHO.
but please block me since my posts offend you.
bumpy

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/29/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/29/20 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to www.etrailer.com they have direct replacement for just about everything


2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 03/29/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

the last time I was rear ended, it was due to total negligence of the other driver. that excuse of a brake light coming on quicker, sounds to me more like a reason to convince the wife that, "yes dear, it makes sense to spend $14.99 for a perfectly good bulb whereas the current 99 cent one is perfectly adequate.
the requirement for an eye level brake light is more meaningful than a millisecond faster reaction.
bumpy


Do you just sit around and wait to disagree with people? I bet you're a miserable old crusty to be around. EVERY single post I see you on it's like you are fishing for an argument or a chance to be condescending. Eat a snickers dude.


I just respond to BS when I see it.
bumpy


The OP's post - "If you have regular tail, stop, turm taillights, can they be changed over to plug & play lights "

I don't see any BS. I see a question. Try to be helpful for a change or move on.


the OPs question can easily be answered with a yes or no, and references/links to replacements.
the BS comes in when the claim is made that the 10 microseconds quicker lighting up will save the world. a more effective accident avoidance would be to increase distance between you and the vehicle ahead. who here adheres to the one car length per 10 mph or whatever, from my observances nobody does. reaction times, tire/brake condition, etc. etc. have more effect IMHO.
but please block me since my posts offend you.
bumpy


Not really wanting to get in between you two fighting but I do want to give a different point of view as to why I moved to LED tail lights.

I spend a considerable amount of time commuting daily to work, 500 miles a week..

Over the years I have seen women putting makeup on at highway speeds, someone taking their "T" top off their car while driving, reading a newspaper and books while driving, texting while driving..

I have seen folks with bunch of bright electronic screens mounted to their windshield..

I have seen folks driving with the interior lights on at night..

I have experienced TAILGATORS nearly on a daily basis even at 70+ MPH, at those speeds they should be multiple car lengths behind you.. Nope, they are often so close I cannot see their headlights or front end and that is without a trailer attached.

Distracted driving has been around for a long time, it is now even more so.

So, if a huge BRIGHT WALL of red tailights gives me a slight advantage that someone driving stupidly distracted happens to see that bright wall of lights in time to react and prevent a disaster I WILL TAKE IT.

Simply put, I (and YES YOU BUMPY) do not have control over OTHER DRIVERS and what they do.

We cannot keep them from TAILGATING, driving distracted or not even driving (autopilots), we can only WARN THEM that driving conditions in front of them are changing (Tail lights).

I will take even a microsecond advantage (the speed LEDs light up faster than a incadescent bulb) if that is what it takes for me to avoid someone driving into me from the rear.

LEDs do react faster, they are brighter when done correctly and you can really see the difference.. Just don't buy them solely for life, I have had to replace lots of LED modules and they did not have the 100,000 hrs that was claimed (11 yrs of continuous light).

Bumpyroad

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/29/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:


Not really wanting to get in between you two fighting but I do want to give a different point of view as to why I moved to LED tail lights.

I spend a considerable amount of time commuting daily to work, 500 miles a week..

Over the years I have seen women putting makeup on at highway speeds, someone taking their "T" top off their car while driving, reading a newspaper and books while driving, texting while driving..

I have seen folks with bunch of bright electronic screens mounted to their windshield..

I have seen folks driving with the interior lights on at night..

I have experienced TAILGATORS nearly on a daily basis even at 70+ MPH, at those speeds they should be multiple car lengths behind you.. Nope, they are often so close I cannot see their headlights or front end and that is without a trailer attached.

Distracted driving has been around for a long time, it is now even more so.

So, if a huge BRIGHT WALL of red tailights gives me a slight advantage that someone driving stupidly distracted happens to see that bright wall of lights in time to react and prevent a disaster I WILL TAKE IT.

Simply put, I (and YES YOU BUMPY) do not have control over OTHER DRIVERS and what they do.

We cannot keep them from TAILGATING, driving distracted or not even driving (autopilots), we can only WARN THEM that driving conditions in front of them are changing (Tail lights).

I will take even a microsecond advantage (the speed LEDs light up faster than a incadescent bulb) if that is what it takes for me to avoid someone driving into me from the rear.

LEDs do react faster, they are brighter when done correctly and you can really see the difference.. Just don't buy them solely for life, I have had to replace lots of LED modules and they did not have the 100,000 hrs that was claimed (11 yrs of continuous light).


well stated. by the way I went back through this thread and noticed that way2roll's entire input into it was the whining at me. [emoticon]
bumpy

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 06/01/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/29/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Etrailer was the sole online vendor that had high current 2 pin sockets and plugs


The city that I am in for the present has draconian fines for celling while driving and prison automatic for injury accidents. They seize celulars by gunpoint. If necessary. Any texts or calls at the time of the accident a driver can kiss their rear end adios

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

Senior Member

Joined: 11/27/2005

View Profile



Posted: 03/29/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

This is what I replaced the incandescent units with. I could have simply replaced the lamps with LED's but this was FAR BETTER!

[image]


This is what I used on my 1984 Komfort, I can testify that they are super bright.

However, the brightness comes with a cost..

Less life.

Yep, I HAVE had to replace 3 modules out of 4 in less than 5 yrs of very little use compared to what they should last.

I will say though the replacement modules so far have been better in life.

Considering just how expensive these ones are they should outlast the RV life and buying individual replacements is super insanely priced.

I would suggest buying an extra two bay "tail, turn, stop" ASSEMBLIES while you are at it so you have a set of spares to replace any module that quits while on the road.

[image]

The two bay costs around $47-$50 and single "replacement" modules can cost $38-$40 each.

You can also buy drop in plug and play replacements if you have the Bargman #84 frame..

[image]

Which run $25-$30 each..

You will not find these at your local Walmart so keeping a spare is a wise idea..


I used those same Bargman LED replacement modules on my truck camper last year after nearly being rear-ended by a semi. The driver got next to me and told me my brake lights weren’t working, but when I pulled over to check them, they were fine. Later on though, I noticed that when you were looking down at my brake lights from about the height a truck driver would be at, they seemed to be very dim during daylight hours.

The replacement modules aren’t cheap, but they much, much brighter.

Upgraded TC Taillights to LED

[emoticon][emoticon]


2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > ? L E D taillights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.