cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full-time and don't/didn't like it?

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stay in our trailer for 4+ months every year. During that time we have met many people who call themselves full-timers. Some live in their trailers year around in the same place others travel around. None of this appeals to us and we frequently get asked about when we are going to do this. My question is, are there many who try full-timing and don't or didn't like it? Surely we can't be the only people that have no interest in this lifestyle.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
65 REPLIES 65

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
The point is to be outside. Shirtsleeve weather. Some extra clothing to cover a variety of conditions. The pleasure of cooking inside or out.

If my โ€œidealโ€ was a lumbering, unstable 5โ€™er to which I had to buy a commercial vehicle to drag it with, that sure takes the fun out of solo touring a region. Day trips.

Same with a Moho. Itโ€™s flat funny seeing the โ€œtoadโ€ that only two people will ever use. A big family group it makes some sense. But repairs and maintenance are a pain as little is DIY. Two drivetrains has to be justified.

THE POINT is that many MAY NOT have made good choice when it came time to buy an RV.

The extra work of โ€œbiggerโ€ is a huge turnoff. If not today, then tomorrow.

Highest reliability, longest-life and ease of travel were the priorities I learned as third generation owner of type.

Set-up and take-down shouldnโ€™t be a burden.

Thereโ€™s NEVER an end of things to do or see. A major city or an unknown region. Any budget.

A life of television has stunted many of you. Most of whom you might meet.

Throw it out, as itโ€™s poison.

No one had them until reasonably priced solid-state portables were available in the mid-late 1970s.

Absolutely NO ONE missed them.

Examine assumptions. The rut you prefer is still just that.
The lifelong slave loves his collar too much to remove it.

An RV is maybe last chance to wake up in an unfamiliar place . . and allow the unfamiliar part of you come forward.

Well, unless your profile isn't up to date .... your RV setup is a PU truck towing a fairly good sized TT or 5'er of some type .... which seems to me to be a bit limiting.

It my opinion, the "RV'ing philosophy" of yours above seems to indicate this kind of a rig ๐Ÿ˜‰ :

Itโ€™s a possibility. Very short trips. In no way full-time. And, does it make a good family vehicle the rest of the time? (No).

Add in a definition:

1). How long parked on one place with no need of re-supply? Nothing. No external sources connected.

2). Now: bad weather. Illness or injury. Confined to vehicle.

โ€” Point being just how โ€œtrueโ€ is it the vehicle is self-contained? Time, is the answer, along with possible complications. The primary limitation is water capacity. Propane a close second. (Electrical pretty much irrelevant. Not necessary except for furnace fan).

Propane is what makes an RV possible. Cook, clean, bathe, refrigerate food and lighting.

The Quigley camper van trades self-containment for but a few miles of unpaved road capability. (Some may want that).

Mines longer than I wanted. But itโ€™s not going off-pavement in any reasonable sense of that restriction. Two weeks unsupplied is easy. Cooling or heating isnโ€™t difficult. The pickup was my companyโ€™s vehicle. Not necessary, but already owned it. No house, so it still functions for the โ€œbusinessโ€ of trailer restoration. Until not needed. Then, back to a car. Iโ€™m pretty tired of a 9,000-lb trucks poor braking in a combined rig versus that of a 5,000-lb car, for starters. Same for handling and crosswind-resistance. Itโ€™s more work with the same trailer.

Gee, how does he know that?

As to travel, again, a new place is new people. How they live three states over. How they got their start as a state. Then the differences in geography, zoology, and the rest.

An RV is the extension to the weekend day trips youโ€™ve made from home.

โ€œWhereโ€ one is parked is OCCASIONALLY the point. A campground is a campground is a campground. Itโ€™s about the region. What there is to see and enjoy. (A destination campground is a different beast).

The miles solo ALWAYS dominate. They determine BEST vehicle spec.

As for the grumps, we know who made bad choices and think the primary purpose of RVโ€™ng is to watch TV some warmer or cooler place. Attacking me versus THE ATTEMPT to understand what was written, well . . . carry on. TV really is your god. Getcher panties untwisted a little more quietly, huh?

My first thirty years of this travel was in using cars. Same trailer type and weight. Cars not as good as what can be found today. But were better than the pickups โ€œyouโ€ believe necessary (when thereโ€™s no IRS rules applicable). Canโ€™t separate meanings of Need versus Desire.

Family car. Easy-to-tow TT. The formula is easy. . Lower budget, and did more.

You want unstable, short-lived and expensive to operate, have at it. Stay with the lemmings on that hard road. New guys with 15, 20 years of ignorance and the contempt to prove it.

Get on back to the satellite TV threads. Keep the poison fresh. Hit a few National Parks. Visit a few long-lost relatives. Call that your great adventure.

There was more to be experienced. Hiding between your ears, and, when found by accident, rejected.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Lantley wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Walaby wrote:
Maybe half as expensive, but while you're paying a mortgage, the house generally appreciates. You're paying half but you never recoup any of that... it's all lost to depreciation or rent.

Usually long term parks don't include electric.. they'll put you on metered. But then again, owning a house you pay electric as well.

There's too much other stuff I'd miss, at least right now. I like having my yard. Like my shop out back to work on old cars. Like the pool on a hot summer day after yard work etc... I see myself on the road 3-4 months, and then returning for 3-4 and then back out again, until I can't do it anymore. Then I'll just be here.

Mike

True, if the market is going up, as it usually does. The house needs to appreciate by more than $1,000 per month to win that race. Most don't. But, obviously, the biggest trade off is that you have much less space living in an RV.

How about property taxes. They are going up as well. There are no
property taxes with RV living. Lot of property tax with home ownership

Property tax on the last home I owned near Dallas was about $8,600 per year for a $200K value home. But DW was over 65 when we bought it - so our taxes were frozen, and with homestead exemption, our taxes were fixed at $2,800 per year.

A commercial RV park in Texas pays about three times per square foot more than a residential property. With no homestead exemption or freezing rates for residents over age 65.

Multi-family residences pay at least 2.5 times what a home owner pays.

In Texas, 70 to 80 % of property taxes goes to the school district. Most school district tax reports show the single family home owners pay 30 - 35 % of the costs of the school total tax collection.

Living in an RV park, there are still property taxes paid by each tenant. True the individual tax total for a 60x20 ft, 1,200 sqft RV spot is less than the average new development 65 x 85 ft, 5,525 sqft single family home lot with a $225K home sitting on it.

But the aggregate total works out to not a huge difference.

Heck, the Walmart pays more property tax than many 100 home subdivisions, unless the city, county and school district have waived taxes for several years to get Walmart to build a store within their limits.

when I was looking in TX I learned about your MUD taxes.
bumpy

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Granted I'm not in one of the the cheaper areas of the country. But a 500K home is about 7K in taxes.
If I were to full time I would have an instant 7K to spend annually vs. staying put.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"How about property taxes. They are going up as well. There are no property taxes with RV living. Lot of property tax with home ownership "

YEP, my Taxes are now well over $5,000 per year. Costs to keep it heated to 60 thru the winter, Homeowners Insurance and general maintenance. That sucker costs me a lot, BUT I have a home to go back to if living full time in the RV changes.

It has increased in value I would guess 50% since we started FT in 11/11. So the reality is I am still way ahead on paper!

Have a great place to go back to for the Summers with my Shop, Boat and about every type of tool needed for metal or woodworking along with automotive maintenance/ repair.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rltorpey
Explorer
Explorer
You can still buy a nice house in the part of NY state where I live for less than 100K but the annual property taxes on that house would pay for a lot of campground fees. Figure 2K to 4K per year in taxes.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Walaby wrote:
Maybe half as expensive, but while you're paying a mortgage, the house generally appreciates. You're paying half but you never recoup any of that... it's all lost to depreciation or rent.

Usually long term parks don't include electric.. they'll put you on metered. But then again, owning a house you pay electric as well.

There's too much other stuff I'd miss, at least right now. I like having my yard. Like my shop out back to work on old cars. Like the pool on a hot summer day after yard work etc... I see myself on the road 3-4 months, and then returning for 3-4 and then back out again, until I can't do it anymore. Then I'll just be here.

Mike

True, if the market is going up, as it usually does. The house needs to appreciate by more than $1,000 per month to win that race. Most don't. But, obviously, the biggest trade off is that you have much less space living in an RV.

How about property taxes. They are going up as well. There are no
property taxes with RV living. Lot of property tax with home ownership

Property tax on the last home I owned near Dallas was about $8,600 per year for a $200K value home. But DW was over 65 when we bought it - so our taxes were frozen, and with homestead exemption, our taxes were fixed at $2,800 per year.

A commercial RV park in Texas pays about three times per square foot more than a residential property. With no homestead exemption or freezing rates for residents over age 65.

Multi-family residences pay at least 2.5 times what a home owner pays.

In Texas, 70 to 80 % of property taxes goes to the school district. Most school district tax reports show the single family home owners pay 30 - 35 % of the costs of the school total tax collection.

Living in an RV park, there are still property taxes paid by each tenant. True the individual tax total for a 60x20 ft, 1,200 sqft RV spot is less than the average new development 65 x 85 ft, 5,525 sqft single family home lot with a $225K home sitting on it.

But the aggregate total works out to not a huge difference.

Heck, the Walmart pays more property tax than many 100 home subdivisions, unless the city, county and school district have waived taxes for several years to get Walmart to build a store within their limits.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
I could fit all my stuff into two boxes and be very content

Detailing those items would be an interesting thread.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I periodically browse Zillow for real estate back in God's country. I would say that for $50,000 one could buy a very liveable house, $100,000 a bit nicer.
bumpy

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
DallasSteve wrote:
Walaby wrote:

Mike

How about property taxes. They are going up as well. There are no property taxes with RV living. Lot of property tax with home ownership
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
We had friends in Az. who thought they might like a small MH so they rented for few trips. The rentals were in such pathetic condition, they were really tuned off! We all tried to tell them it was no wonder they hated it. Then we moved back to Co. and I don't know if they ever bought their own. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Walaby wrote:

Mike

2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
It's very cheap, if you're just staying in one place and if you can tolerate the smaller living space.

All the places that I would like to stay for extended periods of time don't have real cheap monthly rates. I guess it is all relative. Not to mention if one is also making a monthly payment on the RV itself. In my case, it seems like it matches my mortgage payment on my stick and brick house.

If I was living in one area and not traveling around I could get a nice 5th wheel and pay someone to tow it to an RV park. It wouldn't need to be new, because I wouldn't be worried about dragging it up and down highways. So even with a modest down payment the monthly payment would be around $300. There are lots of nice RV parks for around $400 to $500. Bargain ones run closer to $300. That means your total housing and electric are around $800 per month. Most houses I've seen are around $200K and up. With interest, taxes, insurance, maintenance, utilities, you're probably looking at around $2,000 per month. And that's in a very middle class neighborhood. And if you pay cash for that house you're still taking a hit that accountants call "opportunity cost"; that is, what you could have made if you invested that money somewhere else.

So in summary, I'd say living in a trailer is about half as expensive as living in a traditional house, if you aren't traveling, and comparing apples to apples. Right or wrong?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I constantly dream about the F/T lifestyle, watch YouTube and peruse RvTrader looking at 40ft motorhomes and fifth wheels. We have friends that own both. Even though I love big rigs, it wouldn't be practical for our boondocking lifestyle in Mexico. We can always park the TT and have the SUV worked on if we were to breakdown. A big rig, I'd be lost figuring things out.

That said, we have easily spent up to four and five months in our 24ft travel trailer with two slides. The bedroom alone measures 7ft by 10ft. It's very comfortable and though not top quality it has served us well for 10 years.

I'm different than most folks. I could fit all my stuff into two boxes and be very content. I've never been into accumulating things. That said, we have two outdoor sheds filled to the brim, but not with my stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog