Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Full-time and don't/didn't like it?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Full-time and don't/didn't like it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/20 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

My question is, are there many who try full-timing and don't or didn't like it? Surely we can't be the only people that have no interest in this lifestyle.
B.O.

No your not alone. We lasted 7 weeks and hated it. Camping for a couple of week was fine but not living in a box with people all around just wasn't for us. Our home is in the middle of 40 acres about 4-6 miles from the nearest highway. Wife and I came from farm and ranch back grounds so living like packed in sardines wasn't for us. Camping for a week or two was OK but we were always glad to be back home.

Of the 7 couples we know that retired and hit the road to full time all gave it up gladly at some point. One couple sold his rv business and lasted 10 months. The last couple lasted 3 years and came home. They then became snow birds. Left the last of OCT and home in mid March. Their both 84 now and sold the motor home cause they had health issues.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/20 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were going to "full-time" when we retire in a year or so. Since then we have decided to find our retirement home first, in snow country, then decide what we want to do. We will ALWAYS have an RV of one kind or another because we are gypsies at heart and like a change of scenery. We may snowbird, or maybe we'll do 6 months on the road at a time. Either way we will still "RV" till we can't any longer.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Slowmover

Fort Worth, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The point is to be outside. Shirtsleeve weather. Some extra clothing to cover a variety of conditions. The pleasure of cooking inside or out.

If my “ideal” was a lumbering, unstable 5’er to which I had to buy a commercial vehicle to drag it with, that sure takes the fun out of solo touring a region. Day trips.

Same with a Moho. It’s flat funny seeing the “toad” that only two people will ever use. A big family group it makes some sense. But repairs and maintenance are a pain as little is DIY. Two drivetrains has to be justified.

THE POINT is that many MAY NOT have made good choice when it came time to buy an RV.

The extra work of “bigger” is a huge turnoff. If not today, then tomorrow.

Highest reliability, longest-life and ease of travel were the priorities I learned as third generation owner of type.

Set-up and take-down shouldn’t be a burden.

There’s NEVER an end of things to do or see. A major city or an unknown region. Any budget.

A life of television has stunted many of you. Most of whom you might meet.

Throw it out, as it’s poison.

No one had them until reasonably priced solid-state portables were available in the mid-late 1970s.

Absolutely NO ONE missed them.

Examine assumptions. The rut you prefer is still just that.
The lifelong slave loves his collar too much to remove it.

An RV is maybe last chance to wake up in an unfamiliar place . . and allow the unfamiliar part of you come forward.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/20 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slowmover wrote:

The point is to be outside. Shirtsleeve weather. Some extra clothing to cover a variety of conditions. The pleasure of cooking inside or out.

If my “ideal” was a lumbering, unstable 5’er to which I had to buy a commercial vehicle to drag it with, that sure takes the fun out of solo touring a region. Day trips.

Same with a Moho. It’s flat funny seeing the “toad” that only two people will ever use. A big family group it makes some sense. But repairs and maintenance are a pain as little is DIY. Two drivetrains has to be justified.

THE POINT is that many MAY NOT have made good choice when it came time to buy an RV.

Highest reliability, longest-life and ease of travel were the priorities I learned as third generation owner of type.

There’s NEVER an end of things to do or see. A major city or an unknown region. Any budget.

No one had them until reasonably priced solid-state portables were available in the mid-late 1970s.

An RV is maybe last chance to wake up in an unfamiliar place . . and allow the unfamiliar part of you come forward.

well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
bumpy

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
bumpy"

Exactly, UNTIL someone doesn't like what you say. [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/20 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slowmover wrote:

Very thought-provoking in a positive.

* This post was edited 03/31/20 01:08pm by DarkSkySeeker *

There is something special about camping in an RV.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

not my quote
bumpy

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/20 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

not my quote
bumpy

Oops.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/20 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Army11Bravo wrote:

My wife and I talk about going Full Time in a few years, but in all honesty, we will most likely be snowbirds. We love our house and enjoy Northwest Montana, but to be able to leave the snow to travel around exploring other parts of the country for several months out of the year would be heaven.

I don't think a FT lifestyle would suit us. The longest experience in our TT was 6 weeks and we looked forward to a home without wheels.

Six weeks is about it for us ,even southwestern Montana for six weeks fly fishing in the summer, in about six weeks its time to be home. Same in Arizona in the winter ,much less appeal , just warmer then home 4-6 weeks same thing, time to be home.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slowmover wrote:

Well, unless your profile isn't up to date .... your RV setup is a PU truck towing a fairly good sized TT or 5'er of some type .... which seems to me to be a bit limiting.

It my opinion, the "RV'ing philosophy" of yours above seems to indicate this kind of a rig [emoticon] :

[image]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Full-time and don't/didn't like it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.