cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat towing vehicle list

Sacerdote
Explorer
Explorer
I've decided to buy a car to flat tow it behind my Holiday Rambler 235s. Is there a list of flat towable cars anywhere on the internet? I don't see any and I did a search for the vehicle below.

A friend might sell me a 1998 Mercury Tracer with very low mileage at a really good deal. It is automatic transmission.

Thanks for any help
11 REPLIES 11

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
In case the OP is considering modifying a non-towable to a towable, I did that on my S10 pickup with a drive shaft disconnect. It sucked.
bumpy

ronfisherman
Moved from Class C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
While choosing, make sure the car you desire can be matched to an available base plate for the tow bar that you want to buy or already have.
I wanted a DEMCO tow bar setup but no base plate was made for my car. I had to buy a Blue Ox instead.

Then, once you have decided on a vehicle, ask again on this forum , for a response from someone with experience towing that make and model. They might be able to give some specific additional info.
EX: my Chev Sonic hatchback with 47 cu ft of cargo space plus an addition crossbar roof box setup offers a lot of extra storage that can be flat towed. GM says to pull a fuse every time you hook it up. Reason being, it will prevent the discharging of the Chev battery while the ignition is 'ON' while towing. A simple solution to not have to do that every time is to add a 12v charge wire from the RV to the car to charge the car battery.

You don't really need to buy specific harnesses to run the car lights.
Its less expensive to drill a hole in each tail light assembly to install an 1157 bulb for running, brake and directions. Just run those wires to the front of the car to incorporate into the tow harness going to the RV. If you decide you also need side marker lights etc, just turn them on via your dash switch and run with them on the parking light setting. Your charge wire will keep your battery charged as if you're driving your towed car.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
you might want to look through this guide.
Remco

and after you have narrowed down some choices, confirm with the owners manual.
bumpy

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
you might want to look through this guide.
Remco

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, not all manual transmissions can be towed four down.
Always check the owners manual.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
look in the owner's manual under either recreational towing or towing behind a motorhome. that is the only valid source. you can look in these various third party lists but CONFIRM with owner's manual.
bumpy

Sacerdote
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys I found it. Looks like this is not a flat towable car. Appreciate the replies

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Motorhome.com downloadable dinghy towing guide
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
"Motorhome Magazine Annual Dinghy List" or something like that.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Check with Ford on the Mercuryโ€™s capability to be towed four down. May have low mileage but that vehicle is 22 years old.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad