cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What does having an appointment mean?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
When you call your RV service center and they tell you that you have an appointment in 2 weeks, what does that mean to you? What are your expectations about when work will begin on your unit? The day I dropped off my trailer I was given an estimate of 5 hours labor. My trailer has been there 2 weeks.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
40 REPLIES 40

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been lucky, I've only taken a trailer in once, and that was for some warranty work. This was a local dealer and not who I bought the trailer from. When I asked if they would do the work, they said "Yes, bring it over tomorrow". I did, and they called back the next day and said it was done and I could pick it up. No charge, and work done well.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
with some companies, it apparently means nothing.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Where I bought my TT, having an appointment means you drop it off on the date that they tell you to and they will work on it when they **** well feel like it no matter when you need it back. They will work on it using it as filler work in between working on expensive motorhomes to give their less experienced people that don't know what they're doing something to learn on so they can screw it up instead of the expensive motorhomes.

I bought my trailer in November before Thanksgiving a few years ago and used it during hunting season from November through December. I paid for the add-a-room which hangs from the awning when I bought the trailer. They had to order it so I made an appointment to drop the trailer off in January after hunting season and get some warranty items fixed that I found before I used the trailer.

I dropped the trailer off in January and didn't get it back until mid May.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
X

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:

Look for the small, independent shops; they are the ones more likely to give the good service. JMHO.

Thatโ€™s exactly what I did in this case and I essentially lit a match to $600. Waited 4 weeks after appointment date to pick up my trailer and the work was done wrong. A very expensive lesson but I will break whatever I am trying to fix before letting one of these places touch my trailer again.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I've never purchased an RV brand new, so no warranty issues, and I've done most of my RV work/maintenance myself over the past 30+ years of RV ownership, so I haven't run into the nightmare issues that I read about regarding "appointments". I've used a mobile RV mechanic for a water heater issue about 25 years ago; went great.

About 3 years ago, I bought a "new to me" class A from a small local RV shop (parts, service, used RVs; no new). Had one slideout issue that needed addressing; they checked their calendar, made me an appointment (about 2 weeks out), I dropped the rig off at the appointed time, and they started work that same day. Got the rig back in 3 days.

Had a drivetrain issue (Workhorse brake recall) that needed addressing. Local large truck/RV shop; called for an appointment (about 1 week out). Dropped it off in the morning, went to lunch, came back in the afternoon and picked it up.

AFAIC, an appointment, at the very least, SHOULD mean that the service provider is starting work (or at least inspection) THAT DAY, and should have an idea of what it will take to do the job by the end of the day. Anything less is unacceptable, and should not be the accepted "norm". Dropping off a rig to sit on their lot for a week or 2 before they even look at it is BS. But until consumers start to push back, nothing will change. Of course, the same thing could be said about the (lack of) quality control in new RVs coming off the assembly line, but...

Look for the small, independent shops; they are the ones more likely to give the good service. JMHO.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Mildly and pleasantly surprised at the truthfulness when we brought the OKIEbago in for a safety recall, were told outright the "appointment" was nothing more than the day they'd have an open parking space in the to-do lot and that they'd get to work as soon as they could but they had no idea when they'd be able to start the work.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Businesses are able to use the difference in some repairs vs others to their advantage.
One guy may have some scheme of adding a tank to his van, which is not standard and maybe **** near impossible but assumes mechanic = fixed. Sounds like a snowflake thinking milk is grown in the grocery store....this type of thing probably should take days or weeks.
Neither guy needs a water pump replaced which should be a shelf item and a couple hours work, but gets the runaround because the dealer is busy, backed up, lazy, inefficient, doesnโ€™t care, or doesnโ€™t have the quality of employees to pull it off.
Yet they all get lumped in the same by people who donโ€™t know how to fix it themselves thus have no idea how complicated or time consuming it is.

And itโ€™s RV dealers. They are generally not under the same scrutiny as other institutions.

I don't know if this comment was pointed at me but if an RV shop can't/don't want to do a modification all they have to say is we don't do that kind of work, not charge you an hours charge to tell you nothing or lead you on for 6 months that they can do it. I understand not all business can do all things but be honest with your customers.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Update:
Lack of service is being blamed on the virus.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s different at different locations. Iโ€™ve experienced both. To one dealer it meant he had a place to park another motor home in his โ€œwaiting serviceโ€ lot and he would get to it sometime. The other one means if you have an appointment have it there by 08:30 that morning because thatโ€™s when he is planning on working on it.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
The advantage of having a 'bus' shell is that the Prevost service facility is equipped, stocked and ready to go to service most all year busses (20+ yrs... old).

When I make an appt. for service, I've never had a problem getting an appt. as I usually call two weeks ahead of when I'm wanting to have the work done. The Prevost service facilities have 8-10 plug-in spots for the coaches while being serviced.

I like the fact that I can have everything done in one location (chassis related) including a full three axle alignment and windshields if needed as they have a fully stocked parts warehouse. Anything related to the chassis can be done.

I usually arrive the day before service and we are always 'summoned' at about 7:00 am in the morning. Whatever we've had done, it's usually ready by the evening. They have long service shop hours,
Regular Hours:
Mon:
7:00 am - 12:00 am
Tue - Thu:
Open 24 Hours
Fri:
7:00 am - 3:30 pm

You just can't beat Prevost service! All 'house' items have to be done at the converters facility or secondary shop.

Safe travels and safe quarantine!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Businesses are able to use the difference in some repairs vs others to their advantage.
One guy may have some scheme of adding a tank to his van, which is not standard and maybe **** near impossible but assumes mechanic = fixed. Sounds like a snowflake thinking milk is grown in the grocery store....this type of thing probably should take days or weeks.
Neither guy needs a water pump replaced which should be a shelf item and a couple hours work, but gets the runaround because the dealer is busy, backed up, lazy, inefficient, doesnโ€™t care, or doesnโ€™t have the quality of employees to pull it off.
Yet they all get lumped in the same by people who donโ€™t know how to fix it themselves thus have no idea how complicated or time consuming it is.

And itโ€™s RV dealers. They are generally not under the same scrutiny as other institutions.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
The shop we use is not a dealership, but they handle warranty work for pretty munch ALL makes. When we need some work done we call for an appointment - that establishes a time when we drive in to their lot and talk to the service writer. Once the service writer has filled out all the paperwork he asks "When do you need it back?" and we tell him the date we need it back - they've NEVER missed that date in the 12 years we've been using them!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
What an appointment really means is your ticket is assigned to that sales writer and he will get the spiff when you come in.