cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a Toy Hauler Extension

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am thinking about putting a toy hauler extension on my enclosed car trailer and am curious if anyone has done this to their toy hauler and what they like or dislike about it.

Also, I'm curious what others think of this even if they have no experience using it.
I don't know how to do a clicky, but it is, toyhaulerextensions.com
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata
10 REPLIES 10

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
tooldad1041 wrote:
ball park, what's the cost of an extension? does it reuse the rear door? I currently have cargo doors and want a rear door. I could also use 12" more at the rear.

The cost for my 24" extension is about $3800. That includes installation using my original ramp door. I'm guessing that you would need to find a ramp door to fit your opening if you want to get rid of the cargo doors.

Bryan could provide exact details on the door situation as he is the original designer.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
That is really interesting. Obviously, cargo weight and positioning need to be looked at carefully, and would vary from user to user, depending on what/how they load the garage area. But under the right circumstances, it looks like a viable option to gain space and adjust tongue weight.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

tooldad1041
Explorer
Explorer
ball park, what's the cost of an extension? does it reuse the rear door? I currently have cargo doors and want a rear door. I could also use 12" more at the rear.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The designer and head guy of this product came to my residence and took measurements to build and put the extension on my car hauler.

He also said that they had 2 dozen orders from toyhauler owners, but about half had cancelled because of the co-vid virus. Starting today they are having a co-vid 19 discount. They are discounting each product $1000. That worked out good for me:)
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp...thanks for the clicky.

The 1st reason I am looking into doing this is because I need to lower the tongue weight and I can't reposition my suv and rzr any differently to do that. Adding the extension would let me move the suv further back behind the axles and take some weight off the tongue. The 300lb extension would help take some weight off the tongue also.

The 2nd reason is because I have a 4 post hoist built into the trailer and graphics on the outside to match the motorhome, so trading this trailer in on a new one and adding graphics and hoist would cost more than the extension.

I have weighed the trailer with suv and rzr inside and I am 1000lbs under the axle ratings. The dealer is located in Lake Havasu which is where I'm at right now. He is the main guy that designed and patented the extensions and is coning out Monday to look the trailer over and take measurements.

I appreciate the thoughts and concerns regarding this product. I've looked it over at their shop and it looks like a well built and fairly stout product. I am still hoping someone has actually done the extension.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like they are based in AZ. Maybe swing by with your car hauler and see if they think the rear framework is strong enough to support the extension. Might work!
2007 Dodge QC 4x4 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD
2014 Stealth BP TH
2017 Harley Ultra Limited

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
carringb wrote:
Most of the them have high tongue weights so balance will will be acceptable.

That high tongue weight only applies if you leave the garage empty. It's intentionally high so when you load up the toys, it drops back to a more typical percentage.

Net effect when used for it's purpose, you may wind up with too low of a hitch weight if not taken into account.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
That's kinda cool for a Toy hauler. Most of the them have high tongue weights so balance will will be acceptable. Most of the toy haulers since the original weekend warrior have small garages in favor of larger living areas.

I suspect that might not be the case on a cargo trailer, unless it's a triple axle. Plus, for the cost of that kit, it's likely cheaper to just trade for a longer trailer.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Never used one. It's going to put weight reward of your axles, thus lessening tongue weight. It will also, of course, add additional weight to the trailer axles.
Have you weighed your trailer? How close are you to the trailer axle weights now? How much does the extension and your longer cargo weight? What's your current tongue weight percentage?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Toy Hauler Extensions

I don't own one and I'm definitely not an expert, but wouldn't an extension change the COG and handling of the Toy Hauler?