cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado State Parks closure

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colorado State Parks and Wildlife, as of 03.27.20, has closed all state parks campgrounds until further notice. Prior to that date, the campgrounds were to continue to be open, however, that changed with the order from the Governor for a statewide closure. Source - H E R E . Oddly, the state parks themselves remain open.

Hoping this will be resolved by the end of April. First trip of the season scheduled for Golden Gate Canyon SP the first weekend in May.
If, however, I have to change it, I'll change it. I have the entire season planned out and reserved. If it means cancelling, then so be it.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.
14 REPLIES 14

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Closing the campgrounds will greatly reduce people traveling to and from the parks and going into towns for supplies. Far fewer people will be traveling to the parks if they can use them for day use only. Traveling spreads disease from one area to another, one group of people to another. Who in turn spread it to other areas. Thatโ€™s how all this started.
That's apparently the thinking, but I saw just the opposite happening.

I was kicked out of a CA campground, while the day use and restrooms remained open. I was camped well away from others, and self-contained. There were few other campers, and if more arrived the host could have spaced them out. The hosts were allowed to stay. This is snowbird migration season - especially Canadians -and we really need a safe place to layover.

On a nice day there were between 50 and a hundred day-use visitors, using the bathrooms, congregating as usual. There was even a wedding party.

It's closing the campground that makes people do more traveling. It did me, or I'd still be there.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Most Colorado State Parks are associated with a a lake that allows recreational boating. At least for now, the boat ramps are staying open.

I don't think that it makes any sense to close to camping for many of the reasons already stated. But, as a boat owner, I'm glad they are not closing completely.

As far as the bathroom, some of the individual park Facebook sites state that they are still open as well. Makes even less sense.......
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand this "no camping" policy either;
Here in the NE, PA and NJ closed their parks to camping but not day use.

I go to state/county parks every day for mountain biking and since the
closure, there have been 2 or 3 times MORE people in the parks. I live next
to a county park and the trails are packed with people.

Normally outside the summer season, the campgrounds have maybe 10 spots
occupied out of 170? sites.

I don't get it. Keep the campgrounds open and the bathrooms closed.....
Gerry

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I was confused as to the why when NM closed overnight camping at their state parks but kept them open for day use. Made no sense to me.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
The main issue is that they also close all the restrooms and showers as they would be difficult to keep clean under the present situation. Apartments have their own bathrooms.

You wouldn't catch my wife in a campground shower house and we've been fulltime for ten years. And we do prefer state or federal campgrounds to commercial alternatives where your not on top of your neighbors.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Closing the campgrounds will greatly reduce people traveling to and from the parks and going into towns for supplies. Far fewer people will be traveling to the parks if they can use them for day use only. Traveling spreads disease from one area to another, one group of people to another. Who in turn spread it to other areas. Thatโ€™s how all this started.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
Apartments have their own bathrooms.
So does my RV.

Another thread that's going to get shut down.

Uhhh...no. Closure threads allowed
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea Colorado. Send all those RVers out on the road. Dopey policy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
They close the parks, to cut the virus traveling to places not infected yet!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, we're all gonna just sit here and let them close down all the parks and not say anything about it. Like it or not it's all politics at this point.
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Apartments have their own bathrooms.
So does my RV.

Another thread that's going to get shut down.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sigh. Probably too cold anyway.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
The main issue is that they also close all the restrooms and showers as they would be difficult to keep clean under the present situation. Apartments have their own bathrooms.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
All these state park closures - how is this supposed to protect us from this virus? I don't see any apartment complexes getting closed and people live a whole lot closer to each other in apartments.
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE