Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Camper got hailed on last night
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camper got hailed on last night

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
JoshuaH

Jefferson City, Mo

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a pretty good hail storm last night, did pretty good damage to two of our vehicles. Our new camper, which is this,

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/wolf-pup/16BHS/1330

also got some damage, the side that was facing the south has dents, and the front area that faces up also has dents. I haven't been able to do a close inspection of the roof yet, I can see the roof form the house about 30ft. away and I don't see anything obvious, but I'm going to get the ladder out so I can make an up close inspection.

My question is, what do I need to look for on the roof? Should I take it to the dealer we bought it from and have them inspect it? I'm guessing I'm probably going to have to take it there to get an estimate for my insurance company. However our county is on lockdown right now so I'm not sure when that can happen.

Never been though this processes so not sure exactly what to do.

Thanks!

Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry! Take a bunch of pictures. Submit a claim or notification to the insurance company online today. Ask for their guidance. Keep a copy of your claim notification. Protect your RV from water damage. I’d use a plastic tarp on the roof.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

morphrider

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have the insurance adjuster look at, not an RV dealer.

H. Cramer

St. Peters, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm over here in St. Peters, Mo. just West of St. Charles.
Got woke up at 2 something, Hail but mine was Pee sized.
Two new cars in the Drive not a mark on them.
At Menard's shopping today, lady from Wright City said she had Marble sized the bigger ones.

Wish you luck

H.
Out

JoshuaH

Jefferson City, Mo

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I just got off the phone with my insurance agent, he recommended that I have the dealer give me a repair estimate on the camper, but they are going to look directly at my vehicles and roof of my house.

Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oral communication and insurance don’t mix. I said, he said, she said, they said.

JoshuaH

Jefferson City, Mo

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had golf ball to baseball size, was quite loud in the house when it was coming down.

busterja21

Elizabeth CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 11:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

here's my suggestions:

Cars: pretty straight forward, they will give you an estimate and usually a check on the spot. Most repairs will be paintless dent repair, unless the paint is damaged, or its severe damage. You should look over the car for any cracks in the paint, especially for dents on edges, near body lines, or deep dents, cracked paint will require conventional repair and its easily overlooked. Take your car to a reputable shop, they will go back to the insurer for supplemental repair costs if its more than what the insurer gives you.

House: If you know a reputable roofer, have them present when the adjuster is there, they will help get the initial claim to cover everything needed. You should also be covered for things like dented gutters, chipped paint/siding, torn screens, broken patio furniture, broken window frames, etc. If you have a mortgage, the check will be made out to you and the bank. Every bank has their own process for how they pay the money out.

Trailer: You will most likely need to take this to a dealer for an estimate, your insurance company will give you instructions on this. You can have this done before or after the adjuster looks at it. Siding repairs are expensive, so be prepared for an expensive repair estimate. As far as the roof, check for broken/cracked skylights, tape these up so they don't leak until you can get them replaced. Also check the top of the awning, the fabric is often damaged, other than that look for broken or damaged a/c cover, refrig vent cover, lights, trim etc. You may want to call the dealer first, some charge for estimates, some don't.

My suggestion is to look everything over in advance so the adjuster gets as much as possible in the initial claim. Also keep receipts for any temporary repairs you make, these are reimbursable.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/20 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great advice ,double check things.

JoshuaH

Jefferson City, Mo

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/20 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camper got hailed on last night
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.