cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof coatings.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone familiar with RV Armor, Flex Armor Gaco or other liquid roof coating? I suffered some damage to my roof and am being told I need a whole new roof. It's only 4 years old but I understand a dealer service shop needs to cover their butts if they are going to guarantee a new repair installation. Is the liquid roof stuff a good option? It's almost half the cost of a new TPO or EDPM membrane. Any insight here?
24 REPLIES 24

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the RV Armor. Waiting to schedule the work and cooperative weather.

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Out here in AZ we use a rubberized roof coating on our homes. Some people have been using this coating on their RVs with success. I've only used it on my home and am very pleased with the results. It paints on with a roller and drys quickly.
Are you talking about a silicone based coating? I'm hearing many in AZ are using that on flat house roofs over the elastomeric (foam roof) coating. Have also been considering the silicone coating (from Home Depot) over my 15 year old trailer TPO vinyl roof (which is actually still in real good shape!).
Mighty 4Runner Sport V8 4x4 - over 200k
Hensley Hitch
McKesh Mirrors, Geolandar G015 Tires
Hopkins Insight Brake Controller
Tranny: Hayden Cooler/Fan & CyberDyne Gauge
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fluids everywhere!
Rockwood 2502 Ultralight TT (3600 lb. dry)!

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to suggest: Gotta make sure you got the right coating for the right roof base material. When applying Eternabond, I always round any corners. I believe it helps resist peeling up. Also if there is a forward facing edge of the Eternabond, sometimes I coat that forward facing edge with a urethane caulk. My roof is fiberglass but I covered the front and rear cap seams with Eternabond. .

MrWizard
Small rips from the limbs

Clean the surface with correct solvent
Cover rips with Eternabond tape
You can seal over that with a roof coating (if you want to) but it is not needed
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
If it was mine, I would use Eternabond to repair those tears, then consider coating it with something. Four years doesn't seem that old to me. Maybe it's because I'm up north. I used Hengs on my then 14 year old rubber roof and am happy so far after 2 years. I repaired it several times over the years with Eternabond due to tree limbs. Worked perfectly.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used liquid EPDM the first time and it lasted about 5 years. This last year I applied Tropicool. Made by Henryโ€™s I think. Available at Home Depot.

I did repair a tree tear prior to the coating. No leaks.

My roof is 19 years old now so the next coating will be a new roof.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Tangled with a tree branch and only small minor scraps and tears in the TPO, roof decking is still sound and no rot. So far the consensus is it's a good coating.

No one can make a proper long term fix recommendation without first seeing how much damage was done.
Some are making recommendations of what they did with no roof damage. They simply had a coating job done.

If I had a older unit and was repairing a torn roof then a quick patch job and then a quality coating may gain a few more years.

If the unit is newer and I was going to keep it for several more years I would replace the membrane.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
My only suggestion is before buying a product from a recommended manufacture, make sure it's appropriate for your type of roof. Some manufactures make multiple products under their roof coatings each designed for a particular type of roof. If you buy based on the brand name because it's labeled for RV roof repairs, you may be disappointed when it doesn't work properly on your roof material. Make sure you are matching product specs to roof material being repaired and not just cause a name was thrown around.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

wrogers
Explorer
Explorer
Oops. Tried to do a quote, but went without my comments.

I justy had the same spray on done to my 5th wheel & it is awesome. Very tough and durable, and eliminates the caulk maintenence around the seams and protrusions. It is a one piece seamless product once finished.
2021 F450 4WD
2019 Heritage Glen 356 QB

wrogers
Explorer
Explorer
2naEagle wrote:
ken56 wrote:
Anyone familiar with RV Armor, Flex Armor Gaco or other liquid roof coating? I suffered some damage to my roof and am being told I need a whole new roof. It's only 4 years old but I understand a dealer service shop needs to cover their butts if they are going to guarantee a new repair installation. Is the liquid roof stuff a good option? It's almost half the cost of a new TPO or EDPM membrane. Any insight here?

This is what I put on my 5th wheel. IMHO nothing better.

FlexArmor
2021 F450 4WD
2019 Heritage Glen 356 QB

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got a bit of a rub on the corner of mine. No biggie. Taped it for good measure & plan on using the Heng's, 2 coats min, after a good prep job on the original surface which has been stored indoors for most of its 12 year life & had regular cleaning & maintenance product applied.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Tangled with a tree branch and only small minor scraps and tears in the TPO, roof decking is still sound and no rot. So far the consensus is it's a good coating.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
New EPDM: $9000, 1 year warranty.

Rhino Coating: $6500, 10 year warranty.

I'm very happy with my Rhino coating job, and even happier that it was paid for by my auto insurance policy!
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stay away from Dicor....