Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Just bought my first travel trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Just bought my first travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go for the diesel for sure! Our trailer is just about the same size and weight as the one you are considering and you can see that we towed it with a Ram 2500 with the CTD. Very pleasant tow and ride! [emoticon]
Barney

[image]

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

RickG64

Oak Hills, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What the salesman told me that sold me my trailer is that he has a similar sized trailer and pulls it comfortably with a F-150. He said as long as it’s a newer truck it would work just fine. I was thinking 3/4 ton not 1/2 ton from the start. I currently have a newer Dodge Durango that I really like. I was thinking of trading it in for a Dodge 2500 with a Diesel engine but have heard Ford is better for towing.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would a Ford be better for towing ? I bet a Ford man told ya that , For the last 15 years I have been towing with Ram CTDs , 2500 . No problems at all . The Fords and GM trucks all do good . Diesel is my choice .

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know where you heard that. Must have been the Ford forum! [emoticon]
I think you will find that the majority of "haulers", those who do it for a living, are using Rams with the Cummins turbo diesel.

When I was looking to replace my F250 PSD I test drove all the "3/4 ton" trucks and the Ram came out on top easily for ride, luxury in the cockpit, and just fit and finish. In addition, you can not go wrong with the Cummins. That thing has torque you will find hard to believe. Here is a pic of the interior of the one in the my picture above.

One more thing. That hitch weight of 1100 lbs is going to probably be north of 1300lbs when you are ready to camp in it. Mine is 1380 and advertised dry hitch weight is 1100lbs. Really is too much for a 150/1500 series truck regardless or what the salesman is telling you. He just wants the sale![emoticon]
Barney

[image]

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/20 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“What the salesman told me that sold me my trailer is that he has a similar sized trailer and pulls it comfortably with a F-150.“

Please stop listening to the salesman!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

beermanjoe

Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TT is close to your specs also.I have a Ram 2500 gas Hemi 6.4 with 4.10 gears. It pulls it great. You don`t need a diesel but it is an option. Spend a little extra money and get a high quality WDH. I purchased a new hitch setup with our new camper and it was a huge difference. Don`t go cheap on your WDH.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

RickG64

Oak Hills, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What will give better fuel economy. Gas or diesel? The diesel will be higher in maintenance costs at least from what I’ve read. My wife and I will be able to retire soon me mid 50’s her early 50’s and plan on taking a year living in this and visiting all 48 continental US states.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel exists for better MPG and longer range but cost per gallon may make things about equal. Towing will be a much better experience with the diesel.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/20 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RickG64 wrote:

What the salesman told me that sold me my trailer is that he has a similar sized trailer and pulls it comfortably with a F-150. He said as long as it’s a newer truck it would work just fine. I was thinking 3/4 ton not 1/2 ton from the start. I currently have a newer Dodge Durango that I really like. I was thinking of trading it in for a Dodge 2500 with a Diesel engine but have heard Ford is better for towing.

That's the standard sales pitch that the salesman wasn't smart enough to realize didn't matter to you. Tell the customer how they can do "just fine" with the least expensive tow rig.

While I can, do and would pull 10-11k lb trailers with a new or newer 1/2 ton, you are at the very upper end or out of 1/2t capability with a trailer that size. Especially considering this is your "first trailer". That and your question says you don't have any or a lot of experience towing. A bigger truck will make up for some of that and lower the learning curve providing a safety margin as well.
ANY new 3/4 ton or larger will pull it very safely. How big, what brand and gas or diesel, I'll let the others try to convince you. But to say you'll be super pleased how effortlessly any of the diesels tows in the power and exhaust braking department.

Congrats on the new trailer!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 21' Escape fiberglass trailer weighing 5000 loaded with a 2018 F 150 3.5 EB engine & the 1st level tow package. It is a good combination & at 7000 miles on this trip, average is 12.5 MPG.

That said, you are looking at twice the weight & 17' more length. While you may squeeze under the tow capacity of the truck, you won't be happy with the combination. Go for the F 250 or equivalent.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Just bought my first travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.