cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route for surface conditions

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a favorite route Eastbound route through mid PA or northern NY? I can't decide between I-86 or I-80. I plan on entering Vermont on Rt 7 outside of Troy, NY. Coming home from NM. I am in Columbus, OH right now on I-70. tia.
3 REPLIES 3

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I agree w/ Drew that 86/88 will be more scenic and not too many hills till you get Cobleskill east. 88 can be rough, but still scenic. Oops, forgot, there is a very good hill on 88 just east of Binghamton. No tolls all the way to VT.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Both the routes you're considering are okay, in my estimation.

I-86 to I-88 has less traffic generally (particularly as you don't have to go through Scranton et al in eastern PA) and in my opinion is a bit more scenic. It has, in years past, had some pretty rough areas of pavement, but most of them, at least the worst bits, have been repaired in the last several years and it's not too terrible now.

I-80 on the whole is probably a bit better maintained, I-81 maybe a hair less so just because of the traffic it gets, and I-84 through PA and NY is miserably rough. Once in MA, I-84 is now fine although normally busy.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
We come from the south, up rt 81 to Harrisburg and take 78 to east to 287 north and east into NY then go east into CT. Pretty good roads. You would probably head north from there.

Although rereading your post Iโ€™d stick to 80 across PA.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36