cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taking RV to FLA (west cost) to pick up mother in law

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy, I just was told we are going to Englewood Fla. tomorrow. Has any one else used their RV to move an older person up north - to keep out of hotels and rest areas...
Just wondering what to expect out there....
26 REPLIES 26

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great news -- well done!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dedmiston
fourthclassC wrote:
Update from OP--

All home - safe and sound. It was an un remarkable trip except for the current situation. Very grateful all are home and we had a camper ready to go when needed.

I'm glad to hear you made it home safely and that it was uneventful.

Not that I'm encouraging anyone to venture out when we should all be staying at home, but do you have any tips for others in your same situation? Were you able to find someplace to spend the night OK?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Update from OP--

All home - safe and sound. It was an un remarkable trip except for the current situation. Very grateful all are home and we had a camper ready to go when needed.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that was fourthclassc heading south then north. We are just off rt 81 in VA. Tomorrow we head to CT where all of the campgrounds have been closed so will be looking for a parking spot somewhere. Saturday we head to Cape Cod to catch our ferry home after passing through a National Guard Checkpoint when we cross into Rhode Island.

So far light traffic and cheap fuel. We hope that continues. I canโ€™t say enough how great it is to use dog poop bags as cheap gloves for fueling, picking up maps at campgrounds and many other things. When you want to take them off just shake them off into a trash can.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

dedmiston
profdant139 wrote:
dedmiston, I think the OP with the MIL was fourthclassC, rather than magicbus.

I sure am rooting for these folks -- hope they make it home OK.

Thanks. Too much to keep up with.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston, I think the OP with the MIL was fourthclassC, rather than magicbus.

I sure am rooting for these folks -- hope they make it home OK.
About our trailer

dedmiston
magicbus wrote:
Just came north across the FL-GA border and they are separating southbound commercial vehicles and private vehicles at the approach to the weigh station about 5 miles south of the FL state line. Commercial passes in the left lane, private vehicles are fed into the weigh station which is now a checkpoint and everyone apparently gets read the rules. There was no backup when we came through.

Dave

North? You're on your way home with MIL?

Good luck. I hope it's boring, uneventful, and safe.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Just came north across the FL-GA border and they are separating southbound commercial vehicles and private vehicles at the approach to the weigh station about 5 miles south of the FL state line. Commercial passes in the left lane, private vehicles are fed into the weigh station which is now a checkpoint and everyone apparently gets read the rules. There was no backup when we came through.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually, when pumping gas you can place a doggie pooh bag or grocery bag over your hand, when done, turn it wrong side out as you take it off, deposit in trash and then wash your hands inside. No need to waste gloves which are in short supply in many areas.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
tenspeedret360 wrote:
I'm a NYer, and have been self quarantining in NY for about 3 weeks now. I'm chomping at the bit to get down there, and have cancelled 2 reservations so far to autotrain it down.

Long story short, Im eventually gonna get down there and get my RV. and when I do, governor DeSantis will be very happy that me, and my money, will be out of his state. There are other states in the southeast that have very similar, or are trying to, implement tax advantages to retiring there...

Unfortunately you are probably the exception... not like a NYCityit in our park that flew down this past Friday (NY quarantine in place does not apply to him). Is out and about ( Floridaโ€™s 14 day in place doesnโ€™t apply to him), even going into the office (sign on door โ€œIf you are recently from NY, call DO NOT COME IN!). Even went swimming with a similar sign that the pool was closed if you had recently come from NY.
Why does SE Florida have more cases than the rest of Fla? Could it be all the people from NY that canโ€™t read and are hard of hearing?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
fourthclassC, I think that rescuing her with the RV is a great plan. Yes, it does put you at more risk than just hunkering down in your living room, but it probably involves less risk to her than putting her onto a flight. At least with the RV, you are in control of cleanliness, unlike public transportation.

Do you have more than one person who can drive the rig, so that you can keep rolling as much as possible? Since you won't be stopping at RV parks, do you have a way to empty your tanks at home?

Also (and you probably already know this), bring a lot of plastic bags (like the market uses for produce) and wear them on your hands as disposable gloves when you get gas. I also use rubber bands around my wrists so that the bags don't flop around.

Good luck, and let us know how it went!!
About our trailer

dedmiston
fourthclassC wrote:
Lots of mean spirited posts here.

So sorry for that. Tensions are high and the keyboard bullies are going wild.

I deleted the posts from one of the repeat offenders.

Good luck with your mother in-law. This sounds like a difficult trip.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
fourthclassC wrote:
Lots of mean spirited posts here. I am not going down to Fla for the fun of it. My mother in law is 80 and with the way things are going if something happens to her we will not be able to go visit, or go advocate for her if any thing bad happens. Originally I thought the best place for her was in Fla, but with the way things are going not so any more. Believe me I am old and high risk also and the last thing I want to do is leave my home.....

Nope just telling you the truth. The state added more roadblocks. The one we got caught up in was backed up five (5) miles.

Why don't you just fly her out. My Uncle - who I just buried in MT - flew up until last December was 92.
Capt Phillip & Mattie
Guyana - 2013-2019 Dodge 1500, Lance camper - SOLD
Brasil - 2019 > 12m work boat conversion - leased out
Panana - 1976 > 16m Skookum ketch