cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water pump problems

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Okay I just took the 5th wheel out of storage. I have filled the fresh water tank and turned on the pump. I do the usual of opening fixtures and hear some gurgling like usual. But it just keeps gurgling. I turn the pump on and off to try to get it to prime but it just won't. The I hook up the hose and make sure the hot water tank is full and run water out all the lines. I turn the pump back on and it just won't get pressure. So I remove that pump put another pump on and exact same problems. All I get is dribbles and spurts of water. Any help here would be appreciated. This is on my Forrest River 2005 Cardinal. I should add it has been in storage for 4 years.

Thanks again for any advice opinions.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
20 REPLIES 20

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
A water tank vent doesn't leak into the basement. My tanks vent is right beside the fill.

It could if the leak was near the top of the tank and it was over filled. In either case, a leak in the tank itself would not impact the pump. Unless the leak was at the pump. And the OP has tested the winterzation port so presumably would know if there was a leak in the very proximity of the pump.

They may need to drain the tank and do a similar test but draw from a bucket from the normal pump port. Just because it is drawing from the winterization port does not mean the primary works.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
A water tank vent doesn't leak into the basement. My tanks vent is right beside the fill.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A leak at the TOP of the tank will not affect the water pump. It's supposed to have a "Leak" (Note the quotes at the top to let air in as the tank empties, it's called a vent.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting ideas. I have been working mon tues and wed. I will take another look Thursday. You see when I filled the fresh water tank all the way up instead of just 2/3 full, water actually leaked out of the tank area. Meaning to me something has come apart, or cracked. How I do not know because I am always very anal about winterizing. Somewhere at the top of the tank probably where the fresh water tube connects there has to be a problem.
When I find it I will update! Thanks
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dave17352 wrote:
I checked the pump by running water through the winterizing hose and it worked fine so....

If you have a winterizing hose. Do you have a valve 3-way type that you use to select it? IF so the valve is suspect (I mentioned it earlier) to test plug the winterizing hose or seal the intake by whatever means you like.. if that fixes it the valve is the problem.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Check the in line screen cover. Those little clear plastic covers can crack when frozen despite having rv antifreeze in the lines. Ask me how I know.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. It is definitely on the inlet side. I have no idea what happened but I have leak right at the top of the fresh water tank. I am thinking where the fresh water line enters the tank. I had two thirds of the tank filled and no water leak. When I filled it to the brim a little water leaked out. I checked the pump by running water through the winterizing hose and it worked fine so.... I replaced the pump for no reason. ๐Ÿ˜ž Works fine with city water inlet though.

So does it work now?

A leak there should not cause the problems you are experiencing. The tank does not need to be pressurized. You are drawing air somewhere in front of the pump or the pump itself.

Exactly^^^^^
Tank has a vent so a small crack/hole on top of tank would NOT affect pump being able to suck water from tank.

Air leak on suction line between tank and pump, strainer gasket, winterizing set up etc allowing air into pump ---hence no priming/pumping
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. It is definitely on the inlet side. I have no idea what happened but I have leak right at the top of the fresh water tank. I am thinking where the fresh water line enters the tank. I had two thirds of the tank filled and no water leak. When I filled it to the brim a little water leaked out. I checked the pump by running water through the winterizing hose and it worked fine so.... I replaced the pump for no reason. ๐Ÿ˜ž Works fine with city water inlet though.

So does it work now?

A leak there should not cause the problems you are experiencing. The tank does not need to be pressurized. You are drawing air somewhere in front of the pump or the pump itself.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
So now you need a product to fix the leak. Should not be difficult once you determine what will bond to area of the leak.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the pump by running water through the winterizing hose and it worked fine so...

:h so then did you switch the winterizing valve to suck the water out of the tank?

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

chainegang
Explorer
Explorer
On some setups, and this problem sounds like one of them, the exit point of the tank that leads to the intake of the water pump, sometimes have a pre filter the shape of a nipple that is part of the exit plumbing. This nipple is a screen material probably stainless steel to eliminate corrosion. Over time the inside of the water tank develops a skin like material that is not harmful, but clings to the wall of the tank. Constant filling and draining can can shake loose some particles of material as the water level drops and float to the discharge point of the tank plugglng the screen on the inside of the fitting. Removing the fitting at that location will reveal I think, the culprit of your issue. It will come out as one piece and is easily cleaned.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it keeps gurgling that means it is sucking air.. Now fact it will gurgle for a long time when you first charge the lines but ... .... if it's sucking air it will gurgle forever.

now why would it suck air
The most likely cause is the inlet strainer on the pump. but you'd have checked that when you replaced the pump Still check to insure it is properly sealed and not cracked.

Then inspect the suction line ONE option.. on my RV the fresh tank drain valve is "T" connected to the suction line. did you remember to close it

As others have said some rigs have a 3-way valve called a "Winterizing" valve that changes the suction line to a hose that can suck pink stuff out of a bottle.. If you have such a valve is it properly set.

Next is a pin hole in the suction hose or a mouse hole.

Finally and this one is rare.. My tank has an outlet strainer as well as the inlet strainer on the pump.. it can get "Slimed up" (in theory, never seen it happen) or otherwise clogged (Again never seen it happen).

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
On some RVs if the water is set to "city water" and you turn on the pump it will just pump water from the fresh water tank back into the fresh water tank making gurgling sounds and not sending anything to the faucets. Discovered this helping a friend de-winterize his Class A Dutch Star.