Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Expedition or Excursion $6000 budget
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Expedition or Excursion $6000 budget

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

hertfordnc wrote:

I'm talking to a guy now who has one with 210k but he claims he replaced the engine at 87K and the trans at 150k

Sounds suspicious but if it it's true it's a good deal for $4K

This strikes me as somebody who doesn't do his PM's. Did he learn in lesson the first time around? From what I've observed... not likely.... And possibly why he's selling it on the cheap.

You might be right, I have not seen the car. I buy from private sellers and i rely on my knowledge of people and cars to determine if the story is straight.

I searched, there was a spate of early V10s spinning bearings at relatively low miles.

He mentioned pulling an 11000 lb boat so i'm thinking he might have traumatized the trans on a boat ramp?

I'll know when i see it how it was cared for.

Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid

1972 Revcon

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hertfordnc wrote:

THanks. This truck will probably never do prolonged heavy towing. Occasional vehicle rescue, occasional transport of heavy load of building material but generally it will pull a small trailer or run empty.
---

I want to load 4X8 sheets and close the door, i want to fill the back with bricks and not flatten the springs.

If you want hauls those building products, a VAN will do it way better. You can load 2 pallets of bricks or pavers using a forklift (one into each door), where you'd be hand loading them into an SUV, and it'll swallow sheets of plywood onto its flat floor, with room to spare.

And FWIW - An E350 has over double the payload of an Excursion. But, it is harder to find the V10.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

\

If you want hauls those building products, a VAN will do it way better. You can load 2 pallets of bricks or pavers using a forklift (one into each door), where you'd be hand loading them into an SUV, and it'll swallow sheets of plywood onto its flat floor, with room to spare.

And FWIW - An E350 has over double the payload of an Excursion. But, it is harder to find the V10.

I want 4wd drive and this is a family vehicle and the bride HATES vans.

Otherwise, i'd be there. 7.3 E350's show up all the time

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hertfordnc wrote:

THanks. This truck will probably never do prolonged heavy towing. Occasional vehicle rescue, occasional transport of heavy load of building material but generally it will pull a small trailer or run empty.

Really, it's overkill. An Expedition will do everything i want. i just like overkill.

I want to load 4X8 sheets and close the door, i want to fill the back with bricks and not flatten the springs.

And if the right 35 foot trailer comes along i want to be able to say 'yes'

The old saying, "Wish in one hand and sht in the other and see which one fills up first comes to mind with a statement like this."
And yes good Excursions are fairly rare and good excursions for cheap (which is what you're after) are even rarer.
But Expeditions are dime a dozen. Seen one here on CL last night. 04 loaded Expe, 87k miles, $4400. Maybe something wrong with it, but point is 1/2 ton suvs were produced by the millions? and 3/4 ton suvs both GM and Ford, much lower numbers and discontinued in 2007 and 2013 iirc = greater demand.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hertfordnc wrote:

What about MPG ? I have no delusions about a three ton vehicle but i hear claims of 17-18. i struggled to get anything close the that from a V8 explorer or a 2001 Expedition.

There's almost literally no difference. And it should be last on your list of priorities. 1/2 ton older suvs get say 13-15mpg bobtail and 3/4 tons 12-14 mpg and both drink like sailors once the hitch gets something on it.

You're on the right track with private owner and lots of questions. Far more info or "history" to be gained vs a dealer who wouldn't tell you the history if they knew it, unless they were lying...

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hertfordnc wrote:

Really, it's overkill. An Expedition will do everything i want. i just like overkill.

And if the right 35 foot trailer comes along i want to be able to say 'yes'

If this is what you want to do, then you either want the Excursion or a 2500 Suburban.

Those will both handle 4x8 sheets in the back and have decent payload. The best two working SUV's made!

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep looking, but stop fixating on Excursions IMO. Time is not on your side if you want a good reliable budget rig for this summer.

The other half of "reliable" with an old car is "knowing" it a bit. Not signing the title, hooking up a trailer and hoping to not have a breakdown in Nebraska somewhere because you didn't do your due diligence.

Regarding the Excursion with the engine and trans a long time ago. Worth a look, IMO, but records to back that up would be required as the parts will not "look" new.

There are good deals on good suvs out there. But like anything, the more popular and limited production run ones (Excursions) will cost more and be less plentiful.

Nother nice one I saw here. 97 3/4T Suburban, 4x4, 454, 130k miles. Just from the pics it wasn't mistreated. $4700 obo.
If that was the same vehicle but a CC LB pickup, it would be 50% mo money.

* This post was edited 03/30/20 11:02am by Grit dog *

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hertfordnc wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

The cheapest X's usually come up for sale owned by municipalities but are usually 2 WD and 5.4 motor with a plain Jane interior. I would also search in a area that didn't use salt on the roads. I bought mine in Texas with zero rust on it.

3.5 tons with a 5.4 seems like a terrible idea. I'd rather have an expedition.

But as i search i find that my goal is in reach. I do private sales and i try to have a lot of communication beforehand, read people, get the story on the vehicle.

I'm talking to a guy now who has one with 210k but he claims he replaced the engine at 87K and the trans at 150k

Sounds suspicious but if it it's true it's a good deal for $4K
I agree completely, that's why they can be bought so cheap. Expeditions can be bought cheap as well compared to the Excursion

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/20 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Keep looking, but stop fixating on Excursions IMO. Time is not on your side if you want a good reliable budget rig for this summer.

The other half of "reliable" with an old car is "knowing" it a bit. Not signing the title, hooking up a trailer and hoping to not have a breakdown in Nebraska somewhere because you didn't do your due diligence.

Regarding the Excursion with the engine and trans a long time ago. Worth a look, IMO, but records to back that up would be required as the parts will not "look" new.

There are good deals on good suvs out there. But like anything, the more popular and limited production run ones (Excursions) will cost more and be less plentiful.

Nother nice one I saw here. 97 3/4T Suburban, 4x4, 454, 130k miles. Just from the pics it wasn't mistreated. $4700 obo.
If that was the same vehicle but a CC LB pickup, it would be 50% mo money.

Not bad with the mileage.
I paid under $3K for mine with 180k miles, but it did need a few small maintenance items and has typical clearcoat issues from this year truck. Interior and drivers seat are in good shape though which is the hardest thing to find.

Always wanted one and the first tow did not disappoint compared to my old half ton burb.

The year 2000+ Suburbans in my area are almost all terribly rusted...but most of the Excursions are too and for twice the price.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$6k gets you a 15yr old SUV with 150k miles.
$6k gets you a 8yr old GM 1-ton van with under 100k miles.

Do you need 4WD? Do you need al lthe luxury items that higher end SUVs have?

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Expedition or Excursion $6000 budget
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.