cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 thor ace 29.4

george_37
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a 2017 Thor ace. whats everyone's thoughts?
2 REPLIES 2

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
We purchased a 29.2 new back in 2013. Had it for several years until we sold it privately. We loved that coach. I am not sure what Craig means by saying it's not Thor's lowest end Class A offering - it is - unless you are considering an Axis which is really a stretch to call a class A as it's on the E450 chassis. That said with realistic expectations it's on par with any other brand's budget class A. The trick is those realistic expectations. It's a fine little coach for what it is. Weekend trips, the occasional one or 2 week, but I certainly wouldn't want to full time in it. The fit and finish is fine, but it's not meant for full time use. I also agree with Craig in that ours only had one AC and it was a booger to keep cool on hot days. Travelling on the road with temps in the 90's and it simply wouldn't keep up. I do believe the newer ones have 50A/2AC's. A few of the pros are - price - it's one of the cheapest class A's out there, storage - and lots of it for a small coach, reliability - I am risking a flaming here as Thor always gets a bad rap for quality and reliability, but the ACE is a pretty solid MH. We didn't have any major issues and the small issues we did have were normal and we received wonderful support from Thor. I never really see any complaints about the ACE models unless they are unrealistic in what you get for cheap coach. Cons - one AC - unless you get a newer one with 2 ac's I would seriously consider when and where you go camping. Handling, while the power to weight is great it's almost too light to compress the springs enough for comfortable travel. I followed all the proper steps for setting proper PSI, did the CHF (helped tremendously) but that light coach on the F53 amplified every single road imperfection. It's also noisy when travelling, I assume due to being a cheaper MH it just wasn't insulated very well, never mind any noise dampening. It was difficult to hold a conversation without almost yelling, my son would try and watch TV and usually had the volume at max to hear it. All that said we had a lot of wonderful memories for the 5 years we owned it. We traveled most of the East coast and never had any mechanical issues. Again - I'll go back to realistic expectations. It's an entry level coach meant for weekending and vacations. If that's what you are looking for I think they are great.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I had a Thor ACE 2017 29.3. A little history first, we traded to the ACE from a rather large 5th wheel. We wanted to down size! After 2 years with the ACE we found out we downed sized to much so traded it.

The ACE is not quite the bottom of the Thor line but close (I knew that going in). As for the chassis with the V10 it was great I had no problem traveling the mountains of CO or the roads of MO. I pulled a KIA on a dolly the whole time.

All the appliances are the same in all units so that was not an issue. The black holding tank was a big issue. It was only 26gal plus the bath sink went into the black tank. Then there was an elbow just below the toilet that wanted to collect everything. That was my major complant. Make sure the ACE you are looking at has 2 AC's Mine had only one and it was a ***** to keep it cool.

There were other things that I did not like but that was just me so I will leave it alone. Would I buy another ACE maybe. I would check out the Thor forum https://www.thorforums.com
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly