cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this called?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK what is that black plastic piece, under the bumper and which stretches all the way across the bottom front of the truck called? I have a F350. I thought it might be the dam but that doesn't not find the part. I looked thru the Rock Auto body part section but could not find one.

I wasn't too worried at first but it's loss actually exposes some rods and other parts plus I think it might affect mileage.

Any help is appreciated.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
14 REPLIES 14

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I presumed you’ve already towed with your truck and didn’t have any issues.
And you won’t have any issues either, fwiw.
Too bad, I’ve thrown 2 of them for that style truck in the garbage.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you looking for a solution to a problem you don't have?

Hmmm..you lost me here. Since I will be towing a fairly heavy RV out west the explanation above seems to apply to my truck.
Superbumper

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
agesilaus wrote:
There are a couple on Amazon at $99, now I know the name. One has good reviews and comes with all the hardware. I'm going to order one of those. Thanks for all the answers and especially the explanation of what it does.

Are you looking for a solution to a problem you don't have?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of any name except air dam. Learning everyday.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:

Back in the day, we would put spacers between hinge and hood, to get a gap about half inch. That let a lot of heat get away from that 427, drop the temp much quicker after top the hill. Going up hill, grossing 110,000 was hard to hold enough speed for airflow.

427 towing a 110,000 gross load?????
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a couple on Amazon at $99, now I know the name. One has good reviews and comes with all the hardware. I'm going to order one of those. Thanks for all the answers and especially the explanation of what it does.
Superbumper

agesilaus wrote:
OK what is that black plastic piece, under the bumper and which stretches all the way across the bottom front of the truck called? I have a F350. I thought it might be the dam but that doesn't not find the part. I looked thru the Rock Auto body part section but could not find one.

I wasn't too worried at first but it's loss actually exposes some rods and other parts plus I think it might affect mileage.

Any help is appreciated.

** Lower Air valance . . . Shop around, I just replaced the one on my old 2015 and found it for $100 with free delivery.. I just do not remember where I found it??? I will try and find the paperwork.

Try here - lower air valance
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Our older trucks didn't have the front under the bumper air dam. Engineers found air flow under the engine bay wouldn't let hot air escape fast enough and was creating hot running engines when pulling a heavy trailer (example).

The air dam helps create low pressures under the engine bay which allows more air flow through the radiator ...over the engine and on out the bottom.
This was happening when I was towing for a living. Sooo... we made air dams for our older trucks or bought them from a dealer if our trucks had the same bumpers. Worked great on my 454 GM trucks. No more fried spark plug wires and no more hot starter motor/no crank issues.

Never noticed any mpg changes in that type of work. Just a steady 4-6 mpg on those old carbureted BB engines.

Newer trucks ?? Truck MFG engineers can give us the skinny on their use today.

Back in the day, we would put spacers between hinge and hood, to get a gap about half inch. That let a lot of heat get away from that 427, drop the temp much quicker after top the hill. Going up hill, grossing 110,000 was hard to hold enough speed for airflow.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN, that's the first time I've ever had that explained.
Make sense. Thanks

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You won't notice a significant difference in mileage and the truck will maintian temp fine without it, but they do have a small effect on both. Think helping achieve EPA targets.

They are not there to "protect" anything. Hard to keep from ripping them off if you're using a truck off road.
But mildly worth while for highway and towing.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Our older trucks didn't have the front under the bumper air dam. Engineers found air flow under the engine bay wouldn't let hot air escape fast enough and was creating hot running engines when pulling a heavy trailer (example).

The air dam helps create low pressures under the engine bay which allows more air flow through the radiator ...over the engine and on out the bottom.
This was happening when I was towing for a living. Sooo... we made air dams for our older trucks or bought them from a dealer if our trucks had the same bumpers. Worked great on my 454 GM trucks. No more fried spark plug wires and no more hot starter motor/no crank issues.

Never noticed any mpg changes in that type of work. Just a steady 4-6 mpg on those old carbureted BB engines.

Newer trucks ?? Truck MFG engineers can give us the skinny on their use today.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, it's also called the 'air valence' and at $178 it's either gone for good or a junk yard trip is in the cards.
Superbumper

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is the air dam.
Routes air from getting under the vehicle, which reduces fuel economy.
You can remove it. I seriously doubt you would notice any change in your fuel economy.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
It is called a bumper valance.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS