cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW T.V. RECCOMENDATION?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Beginning research for a new tow vehicle. Our Kia Sedona has 125K on the odometer. Our tow capacity would preferably be around 5-6K. Seating for six or more. This would be a daily driver so fuel economy is important. Also nothing too big like a Saburban. Probley buy slightly used. Any thoughts? SUV or van. Not a truck.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
18 REPLIES 18

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Toyota 4Runner's are body on frame rigs. Highlander is a uni-body.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We have eliminated the Ford Transit. Not enough creature comforts says my wife. Now researching Toyota Highlander
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
ppine wrote:
The best tow vehicles are trucks. They work fine as daily drivers. I have driven a one ton Ford diesel as a daily driver for 18 years. Best vehicle I have ever had.

And the best fried chicken comes from Louisiana, but that has almost as little to do with the OPs query as your post.
Unless you didn’t read his post...in which case, still applies.

A truck with four doors and a bench seat can seat 6, and pull whatever is behind it.

In order seat more than 6, and be able to pull with it, you need an E-250 or 350 instead of an F-250 or 350. Trucks are made to pull with. SUVs mostly aren;t.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input. I now have some direction. Yes, I did post similar and lost the thread. Thought I was getting senile. My bad. Sorry.
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I do agree that if you want tow capacity for a safety margin with current RV, then most mid-sized 3-row SUVs will work. Chevrolet Traverse, Ford Explorer, Dodge Durango, Nissan Pathfinder, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, etc...

Get the heavy duty tow equipment (i.e. trans cooler). Check the payloads to ensure enough for your family and tongue weight.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who goes camping with more than 6 people? If you really do then an E-350 a one ton Ford van might work for you.

It is definitely a truck.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But to that point, the OP doesn’t post much and ghosted his original thread 2 weeks ago and then asked the exact same question again, soooo
Open discussion I guess.
Or waiting for that magic answer of a not so full size minivan that pulls like a full size suv.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:
The best tow vehicles are trucks. They work fine as daily drivers. I have driven a one ton Ford diesel as a daily driver for 18 years. Best vehicle I have ever had.

And the best fried chicken comes from Louisiana, but that has almost as little to do with the OPs query as your post.
Unless you didn’t read his post...in which case, still applies.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:

The OP said they need seating 6 or more. What truck has seating for more than 6?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you want the 5k-6K tow rating for overkill (I see you have a B19, 2900 lbs dry), you could consider Toyota Highlander (my '08 was very reliable and did 140k miles of towing for me).
Durango has been mentioned, and their 3.6L does seem to get relatively good gas mileage, but parts availability from FCA would have me concerned.
The Subaru Ascent (new for 2019) could work.
Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia is another to look at.
Honda Pilot has 3 row seating.
So does Nissan Pathfinder, and my mechanic thinks they may have finally gotten their act together and solved their CVT issues.

In terms of long term quality and reliability, I favor the Highlander and Pilot, with the Subaru maybe coming in at 3rd place.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Expedition or Suburban.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

blt2ski
I needed 1300 lb of payload for just my 4 kids, ex wife when kids where teen agers. Found with trailer etc, needed a minimum of 2200 or so lbs with 650-750 he depending how loaded.
Choose wisely.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
1) tow capacity around 6K.
2) Seating for six or more.
3) daily driver
4) Good fuel economy

Yea they don't make one of those. Your best bet is a Suburban.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
6 seats while towing 5-6k pounds? I do not recommend anything smaller than a full size half ton. You can pick the shorter wheelbase if you think your family will be comfortable, but Suburbans aren't that big when you have a family of 5-6 and want to tow.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)