Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Built in quiet inverter generator for truck camper?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Built in quiet inverter generator for truck camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hemi Joel wrote:

From the responses, I gather that a modern built in inverter generator for a truck camper is still not available.
So I'm going to move forward with adapting a portable into the existing space.
I think I can get it to work. I'll start a new thread on it when I get started.

The market segment is so tiny, I sincerely doubt there ever will be. Truck campers are a minute fraction of all RV sales, and only some TC's come with generators.

If built-in generators were a thing in travel trailers, you might see something, but as far as I know, few to none of the travel trailers out there have generator options.

Generators are only common on motorhomes, and they're still largely the clanky old fashioned Onan units. Their solution to noise is to insulate the coach, not come up with a quieter generator. Plus the motorhome units are much too large for a TC.

Your idea of mounting an inverter generator in the compartment is nothing new. People have asked about it for years. You need to address ventilation and cooling so you don't end up inadvertently filling the TC with carbon monoxide, and don't burn up the generator from heat.

Those generators are computer designed to operate sitting on the ground, in the open, in their factory cases. The manufacturers will not support their use in any other fashion, and will not provide any information on how much ventilation you need or the effects of piping the exhaust out of the compartment. You are on your own, and if you don't know what you're doing, people will find you dead in your camper one morning. It's more involved than gobbing the inside of the compartment with silicone and sticking a pipe on the end of the muffler to direct it out of the compartment.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed, and your concerns are well founded. Thankfully, I have the equipment and the skills to engineer and execute a safe, reliable installation. It is just a matter of dedicating the time to it.

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen people spending 100's and even 1000's hours on project of very little value, only becouse they enjoyed it, but for starters all portable generators are gasoline-powered.
Gasoline fumes will never be safe and the only way is do the Venturi pipe over the roof.
Did I say how much moving generator weight from rear of the camper to front hitch mount helps in rig stability?

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a built in generac in my TC which loves propane and is noisy, but the biggest issue is the reliable. It runs when it wants. I tow a trailer behind the TC most of the time so I mounted a 2400 Yamaha inside as a backup.Take less then five minutes to run the cord and open the hatch for the exhaust.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are there built-in inv gens for trailers and motor homes? This seems like a camper idea, not specific to TC. TC is not unique in this regard.

+1 for the front hitch generator mount. On mine I had electric cord attached to the truck frame and two short extension cords (2 feet) for gen to truck, truck to camper connections. I could drive like this as I had the electric entering camper under, not into a side door.

[image]

[image]
Home made.

You still have to get out to start and stop the gen (unless electric start remote), so not as nice a a built-in, but otherwise is good. Keeping the gen farther away has advantage too.

I have a nice vinyl fabric cover to protect the gen. I also have a board to cover the gen in the rain.

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/20 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the bumper mount works for you guys, great. I don't want anything hanging off my bumper, especially when there is a perfectly good generator compartment built into the camper.

Lithium is too expensive and risky for me to consider, plus they still need a generator to charge them when the sun doesn't shine for an extended period.

My brother-in-law has had a class c for 20 years that has a factory installed gasoline generator that draws fuel from the RVs main tank, and the exhaust pipe exits in similar fashion to the exhaust pipe of any vehicle. So far they haven't died.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sportsman GEN4000LP, Propane Powered Portable Generator

This was my first generator, $349 when I bought it. It ran on LP.

I didn't want a gas generator. This one would run for 10 hrs at 50% on a 5 gallon bottle of propane. It was relatively quiet at less than 68 Db. Probably 67.999 Db.

If I needed a divorced generator I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Built in generators are quite popular in toy haulers.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hemi Joel wrote:

If the bumper mount works for you guys, great. I don't want anything hanging off my bumper, especially when there is a perfectly good generator compartment built into the camper.

Lithium is too expensive and risky for me to consider, plus they still need a generator to charge them when the sun doesn't shine for an extended period.

My brother-in-law has had a class c for 20 years that has a factory installed gasoline generator that draws fuel from the RVs main tank, and the exhaust pipe exits in similar fashion to the exhaust pipe of any vehicle. So far they haven't died.

Agree, agree, agree.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is a good generator compartment in TC, I would love to see it.
Most of them are placed in the rear, increasing COG problem.
Than the only insulation I see on them is 1/2" fiberglass board.
Meaning generator heat enters the camper in big flow, so generator has to work harder to cool down its own heat.
Lastly not all exhaust are bulletproof. In some winds you will get exhaust inside. I guess that is main reason why all factory TC generators run on propane, whose fumes are less harmful.
Just like all forklift operating in closed warehouses are propane.
In my years of RVing I heard about enough deaths due to generator fumes to not ignore the issue.

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

When I was in dealer 8 months ago they had one sitting on the floor in the service waiting area. I don't recall the name as it was not a name I heard before. But it was a replacement, builtin inverter generator. I also recall it seemed expensive but don't recall the price.

quick search on internet shows Dometic makes a TEC29 but it is 230v (some countries use 230 instead of 110. This is not what what I saw at dealer.
But a quick call to them might provide the answer. They are listed as Lazy Days Ocala or "the villages"

Thanks for the tip on lazy days in Ocala. I did phone them. they weren't sure exactly what generator you were talking about but they think that it was a 6000 watt Onan that is available as an inverter generator. He quoted a price of $3,700 which isn't outrageous. But it would be too big to fit in my truck camper. in my extensive internet searching, I have run across that dometic before but apparently it is only an Australian thing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Built in quiet inverter generator for truck camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.