cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Used tow vehicles

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Man. I cannot believe what people are asking for their F250-350 7.3 diesel trucks. Anything south of 150k miles are going for $15,000+ That's nuts.
55 REPLIES 55

blt2ski
With the C19 virus floating around. SOme states with stay at home orders. Currently, buying a new vehicle at a dealer is a no deal, at least here in Wa st. Some dealers are bringing new vehicles to your home, IR/UV lit and alcohol wiped down before you test drive from home. They then clean, drive rig back to dealer, you start negotiations on phone, email etc, Do financing etc via email etc. They then deliver the vehicle to you. Dealerships per say, are closed per SAH orders. That is the ONLY way they can operate.
The HOW many of you, myself included, buying and selling vehicles for the next 6 to potentially 18 months or so, is a mute way of doing things. If you can find a new rig, local, buy it. If not, you will have to wait, see if a dealer can make a trade etc. "
Many states also like Fl, Washington is another, with a 10% STax, trading can be in some ways better than private selling. Also GM had a trade in your less than 5 yr old car with less than X miles, they gave you an additional 1000? off or cash down something or other in the last 30-60 days. Many new vehicles, the dealer does not make money per say. SO they want clean low mile trades to sell in house.
In this day and age, up to you if you want unknowns in you residence buying anything due to C19 exposure. This is history, 1920 repeating itself. That corona virus took about 2 years to get thru the population. This might be a bit less due to better medicine and science. THen again......

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
miltvill wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
miltvill wrote:
The boss said I can have a new truck. I am one of the guys looking at a $78k truck. I want to trade my stock 2008 Chevy 2500 for for a 2020 Chevy 3500 DRW. My truck is 2WD so that may hurt me. But I have only 60K miles on it and have no rust. It looks like I may have to wait until they start building trucks again if I can't find what I want on the dealer lot.

Why would ANYONE trade their vehicle in? They only offer 1/2 of what you can sell if for on the open market. They won't offer you $25k for that truck.

Some of the things I consider when trading in a vehicle are sales tax. In Florida if you get $20k for your vehicle in a trade, the $20k reduces the cost of the new vehicle by $20k. So a $60k vehicle now cost $40K and you pay sales tax on the $40k not the original $60k. So at %7 sales tax my trade would save me $1,400 in sales tax. My $20k trade now is worth $21,400 to me. Sure I could sell my vehicle on my own and pay more sales tax, but then I won't have a vehicle and have to walk. Now I will be under pressure to purchase a new vehicle and will not be able to wait for the best prices. I want to be able to walk away from a deal and drive my old vehicle home.
Dunno about Florida, but in Missouri if you sell your vehicle you can figure that amount the same as trade-in money and it will reduce your sales tax. If you sell your vehicle for more than what you would have gotten in trade-in, you get more off your sales tax bill. And since you didn't have a trade-in, you'll most likely pay less for the new vehicle. Win Win.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
FireGuard wrote:
The 7.3 was a great motor in its day, but youโ€™re now looking at a nearly 20 year old truck and technology.
Compared to todayโ€™s trucks the 7.3 is pretty anemic.
Iโ€™m sure a new Ram 6.4 or Ford 7.3 gas with the 8 and 10 speed trans would leave the ole stock 7.3 in the dust.
Talking about prices, there is a dealer in the Sacramento area who has clean low mileage older diesel trucks and Iโ€™ve seen 7.3s as high as mid $30k.

That is all very true. My dad's new F350 will beat the 2000 F250 that he sold me in every respect except fuel economy. But my 2000 F250 with 167,000 miles is still a pretty decent driver and shows how far trucks have come over the years. When I was a youngster I bought a 20 year old truck- a 1964 Chevy Fleetside. That thing was so ancient and beat up even in 1985 that you could barely trust it to drive around the block. My current truck I could jump in it and drive anywhere in decent comfort. Hopefully my dad's 2019 will still be a nice, drivable truck in 2040. It should be, provided that the computers required to make everything work right are still functioning.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
miltvill wrote:
The boss said I can have a new truck. I am one of the guys looking at a $78k truck. I want to trade my stock 2008 Chevy 2500 for for a 2020 Chevy 3500 DRW. My truck is 2WD so that may hurt me. But I have only 60K miles on it and have no rust. It looks like I may have to wait until they start building trucks again if I can't find what I want on the dealer lot.

Why would ANYONE trade their vehicle in? They only offer 1/2 of what you can sell if for on the open market. They won't offer you $25k for that truck.

Some of the things I consider when trading in a vehicle are sales tax. In Florida if you get $20k for your vehicle in a trade, the $20k reduces the cost of the new vehicle by $20k. So a $60k vehicle now cost $40K and you pay sales tax on the $40k not the original $60k. So at %7 sales tax my trade would save me $1,400 in sales tax. My $20k trade now is worth $21,400 to me. Sure I could sell my vehicle on my own and pay more sales tax, but then I won't have a vehicle and have to walk. Now I will be under pressure to purchase a new vehicle and will not be able to wait for the best prices. I want to be able to walk away from a deal and drive my old vehicle home.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned around 30 vehicles in my life so far. Never traded any of them in to a dealer.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
miltvill wrote:

Instead of trading in my last truck I decided to sell it privately after paying cash for my 2017. The 2016 was in absolutely mint condition with 30k miles on it. It took me 6 months to sell and in the end I got $2500 more than what I could have got trading it in.

Selling privately comes with risks, I got more scam calls than real calls. Many would ask you to provide them with a VIN check from a link they provided. The sites would have a charge, great way for them to get your CC information!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I usually get an itch to trade/sale my truck every three to four years. With this one, every time I get an itch I add another mod. I am so far into it now that I really have no reason to trade it in for a new one because that would be a step backwards for me so I plan on keeping it for at least another five years. So far, mod list is up to around $9k, but at least $3k has been paid back since a few of the mods gained me an additional 2 mpg according to my aCar mileage recording app. The longer I keep it, the more these mods pay for themselves.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdc1 wrote:
miltvill wrote:

Instead of trading in my last truck I decided to sell it privately after paying cash for my 2017. The 2016 was in absolutely mint condition with 30k miles on it. It took me 6 months to sell and in the end I got $2500 more than what I could have got trading it in.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

jdc1 wrote:
miltvill wrote:

I just traded my 2015 F350 in.. she had 57k miles and I got $41,000.00 trade... Does that mean my 2015 could have sold privately for close to 80k ??

That was $41k LESS TAX I paid on the new truck....

At that price, I was not looking to deal with scammers online, bullish!7 all that stuff..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
miltvill wrote:

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Price a good '02/'03 7.3L Excursion with reasonable miles (if you can find one!!) and see what they are selling for!!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
A 2.5 gal bottle lasts me 3000 miles or so and costs $7. That's 4.3 cents a mile. Doesn't exactly break the bank

X2. $7.88 for the big jug of Walmart DEF. I use 3 or 4 jugs a year
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Love hearing the guys who donโ€™t understand inflation and technology complaining about the cost of stuff......

Coupled with the common attitude that a lot of people have that somehow makes it a โ€œrightโ€ to have a new/big/expensive vehicle.
Just because they offer it, doesnโ€™t mean you earn enough or have earned the โ€œrightโ€ to one.

Sorry, if your career involves regular use of a mop and broom or a headset saying โ€œwould you like fries with that?โ€ then you donโ€™t have the jam, mentally or economically to buy a new diesel. Maybe Bernie will get ya one though....lol.
Depends where your priorities are I guess.
If I liquidated a bunch of stuff, could go buy a new diesel truck every year for the next couple decades and burn the old one when I was done with it. But part of the reason I can do that is because I DONT do that.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold