cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snowbirds In Limbo As Coronavirus Upends Travel Plans

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
It’s pretty rare to see news about Snowbirds outside of travel or RV oriented media, but the current coronavirus crisis has caused the political press to take note. Snowbirds In Limbo As Coronavirus Upends Travel Plans:
Retired Americans and Canadians who spend winters in the southern U.S. are stuck in limbo as the coronavirus pandemic has forced them to re-evaluate where to live the next few months.

The group, commonly known as snowbirds, is questioning whether it is safer to stay in their winter homes or head back north as travel restrictions from Florida to Canada go into effect.
Not much in the article that hasn’t been raised here before, but perhaps some awareness will be raised. More at link.
2013 RT 190-Popular
35 REPLIES 35

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
DallasSteve - I guess it depends on how popular of an area you are in. There are lots of parks in smaller out of the way places that are not in snowbird territory.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:
There is no way that a Canadian Citizen is going to be denied entry into Canada. Period. The border is Federal jurisdiction and not Provincial. Even Quebec our self centered sibling cannot restrict the federal border!!

That said, we headed home from Gold Canyon, AZ to Cold Lake, Alberta as soon as it became apparent that both Canada and the USA were going to follow Italy and Spain with respect to infection rates. Many of our other Canadian friends were told by their out of country insurance that they would not be covered after Mar 23rd. Fortunately, my insurance told me that they would continue to cover us, but that was not my main concern.

My concern was with the availability of medical equipment in Canada and the US as the emergency progresses.

In the event that myself or my wife contracted pneumonia from Covid-19 or any other reason, I did not want to take up a respirator in the US. Can you imagine the scenario where there are 2 people who need respirators, but there is only one remaining and available. Would it be fair for me as a Canadian to have it and deny the US citizen in the bed next to me? How would his/her family react if a respirator was given to a Foreign national who has a home outside the US and his family member was allowed to die?

So my message to all Canadians, is to head back to your home where your tax dollars support the medical system. Leave US medical services to US citizens unless absolutely necessary.

When this is all over, we can all get back together a celebrate!!

If you both needed a ventilator at the same time, and their med insurance was in good standing and paying for it, you would be the one SOL. If you got there first, and your emergency medical coverage was willing to cover the costs, you'd get the ventilator. The US system is pay per use, you have the money, you get the treatment. Ours is single payer, get in line, wait.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:
There is no way that a Canadian Citizen is going to be denied entry into Canada. Period. The border is Federal jurisdiction and not Provincial. Even Quebec our self centered sibling cannot restrict the federal border!!

Agreed. The Border Agent did seem relieved to hear that we had a destination planned, and wouldn't be sitting in front of her any longer than necessary. I would assume they have a procedure to repatriate everyone, even the ones with no specific quarantine location, but we didn't ask. Even a Corrections Canada cell is inside the border.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
doxiemom11 wrote:
We and others we know are out here full-time and there is no shortage of open parks to stay at. Most state parks, corp of engineer and other public parks are closed, but most private parks are open. Most will want you to reserve and pay online or by phone. There is not the big problem many seem to think there is. Gas stations are open. Rest areas are open and if they weren't, there are still big parking lots at various places of closed businesses to stop. Walmart and grocery stores are open etc.

I'm also in Texas. I just put money down for 30 days at an RV park in Georgetown. While what you say is basically true, this private park and the one I was at last night are almost full. They had about 2 monthly spots available at each and a few daily spots. If Texas closes its state parks like the Chicken Little's in the media want these private parks will be jammed. The state parks that are open (about 20% are closed) were also pretty full in March.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer

That said, we headed home from Gold Canyon, AZ to Cold Lake, Alberta as soon as it became apparent that both Canada and the USA were going to follow Italy and Spain with respect to infection rates. Many of our other Canadian friends were told by their out of country insurance that they would not be covered after Mar 23rd. Fortunately, my insurance told me that they would continue to cover us, but that was not my main concern.

My concern was with the availability of medical equipment in Canada and the US as the emergency progresses.

In the event that myself or my wife contracted pneumonia from Covid-19 or any other reason, I did not want to take up a respirator in the US. Can you imagine the scenario where there are 2 people who need respirators, but there is only one remaining and available. Would it be fair for me as a Canadian to have it and deny the US citizen in the bed next to me? How would his/her family react if a respirator was given to a Foreign national who has a home outside the US and his family member was allowed to die?

So my message to all Canadians, is to head back to your home where your tax dollars support the medical system. Leave US medical services to US citizens unless absolutely necessary.

When this is all over, we can all get back together a celebrate!!
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Due to a family medical emergency I had to return to Washington state from Arizona.
The fastest route due to potential weather problems was through California up Hwy 99 and 5
The only over-night stops I made were highway rest stops.
Lots of truckers and a few RV's in them - but all had space.

Noise at night was bad. Truckers start engines during the night. Some leave, some arrive.
500 miles a day for a 1510 mile drive - took three days.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
Darryl&Rita wrote:
We crossed back into Canada, using the Sweetgrass/Coutts border crossing. We were already in a travelling self-isolation situation, and the only thing outside our rig we touched was the fuel pump and keypad for the pump. We had rubber gloves for the contact, which were discarded after use. All contact with people was outside, over 6 feet of separation. We had called ahead for a campground reservation in Lethbridge, without which the Border agent seemed to be inclined to refuse us entry. Always have a plan. Life in the park involves lots of inside time, as the provincial government doesn't want us out and about. No walking the dogs, no shopping, nothing. If it doesn't get delivered, we don't get it. Even the garbage is picked up at the edge of our lot, not carried to the dumpster. Water isn't turned on yet, due to cold, so we topped up the tank, and will need to call the office when we need to refill. The office will schedule someone to be there to fill, and tell us when to pull forward to get water. They are using a disinfectant spray on the hose bib, both ends of their hose, and the end of our hose that contacts their hose. We had no (none, zero, nada) contact with any of their property, even though the rubber gloves were in place. Seemed like good protocol. Supper involved pizza. The driver placed it on the pic nic table, along with the credit card machine. Tap to pay is encouraged, and used. We backed away, the machine was retrieved, the receipt removed and placed under the pizza box, and the driver left. The box was brought in, placed on a small table, topped with a garbage bag. The pies were eaten, leftovers placed in separate containers, and the box, rubber gloves, and handi wipes were in the garbage bag/tablecloth.

Wow. Sounds like you've handled it pretty well, and got everything under control. With no symptoms, or other snafus, you'll be out of quarantine in no time. Hang in there.
btw, if you're Canadian citizens, and I assume you are, they can't refuse you entry into Canada. Entry into Canada by a citizen is guaranteed under the CCoRF Section 6 (1).

While Canadian citizens are guaranteed entry back into Canada, provinces are imposing additional restrictions for inter-provincial travel which are more strict.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Darryl&Rita wrote:
We crossed back into Canada, using the Sweetgrass/Coutts border crossing. We were already in a travelling self-isolation situation, and the only thing outside our rig we touched was the fuel pump and keypad for the pump. We had rubber gloves for the contact, which were discarded after use. All contact with people was outside, over 6 feet of separation. We had called ahead for a campground reservation in Lethbridge, without which the Border agent seemed to be inclined to refuse us entry. Always have a plan. Life in the park involves lots of inside time, as the provincial government doesn't want us out and about. No walking the dogs, no shopping, nothing. If it doesn't get delivered, we don't get it. Even the garbage is picked up at the edge of our lot, not carried to the dumpster. Water isn't turned on yet, due to cold, so we topped up the tank, and will need to call the office when we need to refill. The office will schedule someone to be there to fill, and tell us when to pull forward to get water. They are using a disinfectant spray on the hose bib, both ends of their hose, and the end of our hose that contacts their hose. We had no (none, zero, nada) contact with any of their property, even though the rubber gloves were in place. Seemed like good protocol. Supper involved pizza. The driver placed it on the pic nic table, along with the credit card machine. Tap to pay is encouraged, and used. We backed away, the machine was retrieved, the receipt removed and placed under the pizza box, and the driver left. The box was brought in, placed on a small table, topped with a garbage bag. The pies were eaten, leftovers placed in separate containers, and the box, rubber gloves, and handi wipes were in the garbage bag/tablecloth.

Wow. Sounds like you've handled it pretty well, and got everything under control. With no symptoms, or other snafus, you'll be out of quarantine in no time. Hang in there.
btw, if you're Canadian citizens, and I assume you are, they can't refuse you entry into Canada. Entry into Canada by a citizen is guaranteed under the CCoRF Section 6 (1).
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Try passing through Connecticut and staying at a campground.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We and others we know are out here full-time and there is no shortage of open parks to stay at. Most state parks, corp of engineer and other public parks are closed, but most private parks are open. Most will want you to reserve and pay online or by phone. There is not the big problem many seem to think there is. Gas stations are open. Rest areas are open and if they weren't, there are still big parking lots at various places of closed businesses to stop. Walmart and grocery stores are open etc.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
We were stopped at the Rhode Island border checkpoint and when they cleared us we thought to asked the MP if they would let us stay in the rest area all night since CT closed the place we were going to stay. They said no problem and directed us to an out of the way secondary truck parking lot. So now we’re sleeping with an armed guard!

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
In case anyone hasn't seen it (I just saw it), Escapees has a good page of advise, including links to open campgrounds:

https://www.escapees.com/coronavirus/

My heart goes out to people who are on the road or full-timers now.

clicky

didn't see a link for the list of open campgrounds and parks. i did sign the petition.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
In case anyone hasn't seen it (I just saw it), Escapees has a good page of advise, including links to open campgrounds:

https://www.escapees.com/coronavirus/

My heart goes out to people who are on the road or full-timers now.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.