Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds In Limbo As Coronavirus Upends Travel Plans
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Snowbirds In Limbo As Coronavirus Upends Travel Plans

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

I don't think any Canadian snowbirds would lose their government supplied coverage, under these circumstances (out of province coverage is already next to nothing, anyway), but some supplemental plans probably have maximum out of province time limits. For some provinces it's 6 months, some are 7. Individual supplemental plans probably/may follow those guidelines.

Many of my Canadian friends DID receive letters from their supplemental companies mandating their return within 10 days or they lose their coverage. Also, loss of governmental coverage if they overstay the allotted time in the US anyway.....

I just spoke to a returning Canadian snowbirder (Ontario) and his supplemental emergency medical coverage was still good, they just decided to return early. He called his company to verify. He did say some others in the AZ park they were in had received the 10 day expiry letters for their supplemental EMC.
Regardng losing government out of province coverage. It's not much, and they're doing away with it in some provinces (Ontario), so losing it isn't a big deal for some. As for the in province coverage, most provincial governments seem to be more accommodating for problems like delays returning due to COVID-19, under the circumstances.

* This post was edited 04/01/20 02:49pm by MDKMDK *

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

We are heading north. Staying in a KOA tonight in Yemassee SC and they are handling things right. Met us in a golf cart, offered copies of our paperwork which we respectfully declined, drove us to our spot, disinfected the power box and water spigot and told us to leave our trash in a bag when we left.

Much better than pushing people into rest areas posted No Overnight Camping.

Dave

Good luck. Stay safe.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here... some of my Canadian neighbors in our snowbird park in AZ cited supplemental insurance issues for their early exit, others stayed here telling me their insurance was/is not a factor.

my original post was reference the Canadian PM making his statement to have Canadian citizens return home sound like a mom calling her kids into the house at night when the street lights came on. i don't recall hearing any state governors calling citizens of his/her state to return. just seemed odd to me.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most, but not all, Canadian supplemental policies have a clause that says the coverage will expire 10 days after the Canadian government declares a national disaster which it did. None of the Canadians we know here in Palm Springs, CA, thought there was any chance Canada would close their borders to their citizens. All we know here did head home and are now self quarantined for 14 days at home. Also, it looks like there are very few RV parks that have closed.

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are German and British 'birds in my neighborhood. Some left already. Some stayed. They're mostly concerned about not overstaying their 6-month visas.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CarnationSailor wrote:

Most, but not all, Canadian supplemental policies have a clause that says the coverage will expire 10 days after the Canadian government declares a national disaster which it did. None of the Canadians we know here in Palm Springs, CA, thought there was any chance Canada would close their borders to their citizens. All we know here did head home and are now self quarantined for 14 days at home. Also, it looks like there are very few RV parks that have closed.

Mine doesn't say anything about "the Canadian Government declaring anything" unless you've contravened a government issued (DFAIT) travel advisory warning against travel to the country of your destination prior to your departure date. It also won't cover treatment that results from war, rebellion, and/or nuclear radiation as a result of same.
This one surprised me the most,
"Any expenses resulting from orbital space flights, sub-orbital space flights and space
tourism".
I guess Branson/or and Musk will have to provide some sort of in flight insurance for me. [emoticon]

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've followed one couple on YouTube who is on an entirely different continent. They're in an old truck and a pretty decrepit looking truck camper. Leave Everything and Wander are from Italy, they've been on a multi-year travel from Alaska to the bottom of South America. They are in Argentina (I think is the correct country) and can't fly home and they keep having troubles where they are, nobody wants them and they can't find out where to go just to be SAFE. It's sad to see what they're going through.

I also followed a couple of British Citizens who have small RV's, most were in Spain or Portugal and were told to head back to England ASAP or risk being locked out of England.

It's sad. I'm glad I'm where I need to be.

Good luck to everyone in this mess we're thrown into.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OkieGene wrote:

I've followed one couple on YouTube who is on an entirely different continent. They're in an old truck and a pretty decrepit looking truck camper. Leave Everything and Wander are from Italy, they've been on a multi-year travel from Alaska to the bottom of South America. They are in Argentina (I think is the correct country) and can't fly home and they keep having troubles where they are, nobody wants them and they can't find out where to go just to be SAFE. It's sad to see what they're going through.

I also followed a couple of British Citizens who have small RV's, most were in Spain or Portugal and were told to head back to England ASAP or risk being locked out of England.

It's sad. I'm glad I'm where I need to be.

Good luck to everyone in this mess we're thrown into.

Amen to that.

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/20 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are back home in Ontario after our run from southern California and we are better than halfway through our 2 week self isolation. None of the RV parks we normally hit were closed, the only "wrinkle" was that we got a notice from a KOA that we stayed at in Indiana saying they were charging us for not cancelling our one night reservation, we actually stayed there, the documentation was ready for us when we arrived but nobody was in the office the entire time we stayed there!

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

almcc wrote:

We are back home in Ontario after our run from southern California and we are better than halfway through our 2 week self isolation. None of the RV parks we normally hit were closed, the only "wrinkle" was that we got a notice from a KOA that we stayed at in Indiana saying they were charging us for not cancelling our one night reservation, we actually stayed there, the documentation was ready for us when we arrived but nobody was in the office the entire time we stayed there!

That's a first.
At least you're home, safe and sound.
Hang in there.
This can't last forever.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Snowbirds In Limbo As Coronavirus Upends Travel Plans
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.