Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lighting suggestions for rv building

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys
I had a rv storage pole building built that is 40x16 and wall height is 15 feet. It has 3 sides closed to the ground.
I want to install some lights inside so it is not so dark in there when tring to back in.

I am unsure of the type of lighting that would work the best for me,I don't plan on working in there just need some lighting for when backing in and when I need to get into the rv.

Thanks for the help.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion
23 REPLIES 23

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
hondapro wrote:
Hi guys
I had a rv storage pole building built that is 40x16 and wall height is 15 feet. It has 3 sides closed to the ground.
I want to install some lights inside so it is not so dark in there when tring to back in.

I am unsure of the type of lighting that would work the best for me,I don't plan on working in there just need some lighting for when backing in and when I need to get into the rv.

Thanks for the help.

In our 1st pole barn ,built 20 years ago, before the LED lighting, we used 6 sets of 2 - bulb 8โ€™ florescent light fixtures in our 34โ€™x48โ€™ x16โ€™ (wall) pole barn....which gave adequate lighting. But, we had to used the cold weather rated fixtures ($), and then had to listen to the constant buzzing.

On our new pole barn, 30โ€™x40โ€™ - though only with 12โ€™ sidewalls, we went LED lighting fixtures. We used 6 - 2 bulb 48โ€ fixtures.....huge improvement. Instant on when well below zero, very good lighting, and no buzzing.
Seriously considering replacing the fluorescent fixtures in pole barn #1! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the ideas,I appreciate it.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
if you arent working in there why not just use a flood light or a flash light?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Costco has 4' LED shop lights. 2 pack is $60. I've got them in my 16x24 barn, they put out great light. Cold weather doesn't affect them, no ballast to replace, no bulb to replace. I have a motion sensor switch that turns them on whenever I step foot into my barn.

https://www.costco.com/feit-electric-4'-linkable-led-shop-light%2C-2-pack.product.100462723.html
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
hondapro wrote:
I don't plan on working in there just need some lighting for when backing in and when I need to get into the rv..

Get the cheapest outdoor flood lights you can find.

LEDโ€™s are only energy saving when theyโ€™re on. All bulbs use the same amount of electricity when theyโ€™re off, ZERO.

If the lights are only going to be on a few hours a year what does it really matter what kind of light is hanging there turned off?

It does seem like many missed a lot of details in the original post. The pole barn is only 16 feet wide. Once the RV is inside there is only going to be about 4 feet on each side of it. Not a lot of room to be doing work.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
hondapro wrote:
I don't plan on working in there just need some lighting for when backing in and when I need to get into the rv..

Get the cheapest outdoor flood lights you can find.

LEDโ€™s are only energy saving when theyโ€™re on. All bulbs use the same amount of electricity when theyโ€™re off, ZERO.

If the lights are only going to be on a few hours a year what does it really matter what kind of light is hanging there turned off?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It's hard to beat Harbor freight prices. But you can also get the 4 foot LED florescent at Costco for about $25 each.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
LED lights mounted along each side. Don't mount along center line as the rig will block the light. Mounted 8-10 feet up will give good lighting for project. I would do them on about 10 foot centers on each wall.

Nailed it! I mounted mine at 45 degree angle along the top of the side walls of the barn. This gives great side and overlapping light.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
LED lights mounted along each side. Don't mount along center line as the rig will block the light. Mounted 8-10 feet up will give good lighting for project. I would do them on about 10 foot centers on each wall.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
I am replacing the lights in my shed(20x45)with screw in LED lamps. They are at Amazon about $35 each. 12500 lumens, bright as daylight @ 100 watts.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
These 4 foot shop lights are very bright and worked great for me. They run $29 normally but are often on sale for $19.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I replaced my MH bay fluorescent shop lights with these 4' LED for less than $7 each. Has series connections so you can do a string of several on one power feed.
LED

https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-Integrated-Fixture-Utility-Electric/dp/B07DNPL2VC/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=4x+led+shop+lights&qid=1585754380&sr=8-14
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use a basic incadescent fixture with LEDs (under $5 each) and/or LED shop lights. One shop light on each side ($45 each) and you're done.

FYI - My experience with LEDs: I installed a sunset to sunrise timer on my 6 porch lights and switched to equivalent LED bulbs. The incadescents drew 3.0A and the LEDs 0.45A, a 6.7 ratio. Then I ran the yearly cost based on last years utility bills. For 44,000 hours the LED cost is $23 and incadescent cost $155. LEDs and timer paid for and savings started in 3.5 months.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Direct wire led tubes. no ballast to replace, ever. The following led's produce 1840 lumens (about 100 watts) and use 16 watts of power. They are supposed to last 50,000 hours. No I don't work for them. It's just a thought.

https://www.superiorlighting.com/led-ceiling-t5-linkable-strip-lights-for-use-as-shop-lights-undercabinet-or-cove-lighting-choose-your-color-temperature-and-optional-accessories/?gclid=CjwKCAjw95D0BRBFEiwAcO1KDO3NNH9qE3X8sWkkMLueZyDKjTxj61yMFCwmh2wZfK2E4i5IbueVSxoCMmkQAvD_BwE
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)