cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air conditioner troubleshooting

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, here's my issue. 2014 Phaeton MH.

Two roof AC's (Airxcel units). For a while I noticed rear unit ac and electric heat were hit and miss starting, very random. Initially it was so occasional that I thought I was imagining. Now it won't start on AC or electric heat. The fan still comes on when set to Fan Mode "on" position and propane heat comes on. The fan didn't bog or slow down when it did decided to work.

Physical inspection on roof didn't show any obvious issues.

It's getting warm here in Casa Grande, AZ. I need to troubleshoot this and get it fixed or call a repairman in.

Any AC guys on here to give me some diagnosing advice??
Jack and Nina
6 REPLIES 6

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
Quick update - Turned out to be in the thermostat. New thermostat and all is well. Thx everyone!
Jack and Nina

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
Good point Dford.

The AC is a 47000 series heat pump by Airxcel. The thermostat is marked RVComfort.HP

garyemunson, we do have a power management system. No indications of trouble. Any idea on testing it?

jdc1We, I won't ask you how you know this. We are parked at our lot in Casa Grande. The power is 50 amp. Not a generator or low power issue.

Lwiddis, it was a short window from intermittent to not working. Thanks for the help.
Jack and Nina

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
What was the source of electricity? If you were plugged in at home to a 120V (15A) outlet, you may have not been drawing enough amps....and fried something. Even if it were a 20A curcuit, the wire length may have dropped the amperage enough to do harm to your AC unit. I don't want to tell you how I know this stuff. LOL.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Most newer RVs have a power control center that prevents A/Cs from starting together and/or makes sure generator has caught it's breath before letting the A/Cs come on line. When those start getting flaky that's a symptom. I'd look into that.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
When it was “hit and miss” why didn’t you fix it or get it fixed? That was your warning.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
To get spot on assistance, you have to give all the information you can on what you're having trouble with. Not everyone know what brand of a/c or thermostat Tiffin used in your MH at least I sure don't. Hope Doug has the time to respond once you've mentioned the brands (model?) of your equipment.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System