Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: 12v outlet question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > 12v outlet question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
campermama

Here and There

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/02/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I'm just sayin, but I used this inverter in my last rv's 12v outlet under the tv that was about 13' from the batteries for the last 4 yrs with no problems.


2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/02/20 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campermama wrote:

Question....what 12v outlet will handle my inverter safely?
None go to 600 watts. Use something like Anderson Powerpoles to connect.

I still think my solution above is way easier and no wires draping around.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/24/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/02/20 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campermama wrote:

So I'm just sayin, but I used this inverter in my last rv's 12v outlet under the tv that was about 13' from the batteries for the last 4 yrs with no problems.


That does suggest that your TV uses a lot less than 600 watts. I, too, would suggest putting the inverter as close to the battery as possible, just in case you ever decide to try to run a coffee maker, for example, which would likely draw close to 600 watts. AC current at 120 volts tolerates smaller wires than DC current at 12 volts. If I remember my wire guide table correctly, a 13 foot run of wire for 50 amps at 12 volts requires 10 gauge wire, which is pretty heavy stuff. However close you put the inverter, you should use a 60 amp fuse.





jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 04/02/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campermama wrote:

Ok so based on what I think I am learning from you guys and a few others.....

I could probably cut 12v plug off inverter, add wire and wire inverter right to the batteries, no 12v outlet. Would this be best way to go? Would this scenario still need a fuse inline?

I need simple/easy oh and english! haha!
Thx!


This is what I would do. Yes you need a fuse as close to the batteries as practical. I'd also use #8 wire.


2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD


DrewE

Vermont

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/02/20 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

campermama wrote:

So I'm just sayin, but I used this inverter in my last rv's 12v outlet under the tv that was about 13' from the batteries for the last 4 yrs with no problems.


That does suggest that your TV uses a lot less than 600 watts.


Any halfway modern TV will use a lot less than 600 watts. Something around 25-50 watts is probably more typical, depending on screen size, etc.





drsteve

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/03/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:



Any halfway modern TV will use a lot less than 600 watts. Something around 25-50 watts is probably more typical, depending on screen size, etc.


That is why our old 50" plasma TV lives in the bedroom where it is seldom used. Beautiful rich color, but draws 650 watts. Ouch. The new 55" LED in the living room needs only 50 watts.


2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

Senior Member

Joined: 03/01/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/03/20 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure that their are no 12 volt outlets anywhere in this RV ? Almost all of the antennae boosters in a RV that I've seen have a 12 volt outlet on them right near where the switch is to turn on the booster. (Maybe some of the new ones don't do that anymore thought I suppose)

RickLight

Washington

Full Member

Joined: 01/22/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/03/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

naturist wrote:

campermama wrote:

So I'm just sayin, but I used this inverter in my last rv's 12v outlet under the tv that was about 13' from the batteries for the last 4 yrs with no problems.


That does suggest that your TV uses a lot less than 600 watts.


Any halfway modern TV will use a lot less than 600 watts. Something around 25-50 watts is probably more typical, depending on screen size, etc.


If you pick up a 100-150W inverter (well under $50) and wire in a 12V outlet near the TV, you could be done.

My radio is 12v and is in next to the TV. I've already added a USB outlet. Next is a 12V outlet for my 150W inverter.


Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

Senior Member

Joined: 06/27/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/04/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider using a 12v TV set. I got two when we went solar. Our inverter requires 2 amps just to run before it even does anything. My 12v 32” tv requires 45w of dc. It’s a lot less load on your battery and you can probably tap off a nearby existing cable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > 12v outlet question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.