cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best roof coating for aging rubber roofs

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
What's the consensus on the best coating for aging rubber roofs? Not tears - I use Eternabond on those. Just an old intact rubber roof where the black is starting to show through in places. I want to get a few more years from it. Is there a coating that will do this?
David Kojen
13 REPLIES 13

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
solismaris wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
solismaris wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations everybody. I'm going to try the Heng's.

Which Heng's ? They make several products that you can use.

Saying I'm going to use Heng's is like saying I'm going to buy a GM vehicle! Notice the comments on Henry actually identify the specific product they are recommending. So, which Heng's are you running out to buy?

I guess this:
https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-Rubber-Roof-Coating-Gallon/dp/B004A30MGA
Will that work? Actually you say there are several Hengs' products. This is the only one that shows up when I search. It says for RV rubber roofs.
I'm pretty sure that's what I used. I got three coats out of 2 gallons with some still left over. My roof is only about 19 feet long though.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
C Schomer wrote:
Henry 587. $95 for 5 gallons. I used it in Az. on my previous 5er and it held up great. Craig

Thanks for posting this. The 587 is the cheapest product that I saw on the market beside the Blackjack. The technical people I spoke to said it was not designed for EPDM roofs due to water ponding and steered me to their 887 product which is much more expensive. How long did you have it on your 5er before you sold it and how did it hold up?

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
solismaris wrote:

Saying I'm going to use Heng's is like saying I'm going to buy a GM vehicle! Notice the comments on Henry actually identify the specific product they are recommending. So, which Heng's are you running out to buy?

I guess this:
https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-Rubber-Roof-Coating-Gallon/dp/B004A30MGA
Will that work? Actually you say there are several Hengs' products. This is the only one that shows up when I search. It says for RV rubber roofs.
David Kojen

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
solismaris wrote:

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
David Kojen

Scooter_Alfa
Explorer
Explorer
887 Tropi-Coolยฎ 100% Silicone White Roof Coating

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Henry 587. $95 for 5 gallons. I used it in Az. on my previous 5er and it held up great. Craig

2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heng's is better than Dicor. But, if you want the best, take it to a Line-X or Rhino Liner guy. It will last 100 years.

A1RVTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Dicor and Hengs. The Dicor is more expensive, requires a primer and you have to put plastic drop cloths on the side of the RV to prevent paint damage from the primer. It looks great two years later.

On my other RV used Hengs to save time and money. The Hengs did a good job. You wash the roof real good, let it dry and put it on.

It takes one-gallon to do a 30-foot RV. This is one coat. I suggest you put on two coats. Do try and stretch the paint out.

I used a 2-inch brush to cut in all the edges and vents and then a roller for the big areas.

The prep is key and it is a lot of work.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I also had great results with Hengs on my 14 year old rubber roof. Reasonably inexpensive compared to many others. Aside from a good cleaning, no other prep involved. Mine is coming up on it's 3rd year and still looks freshly applied.

Side note; you will be amazed how much cooler the roof will be after recoating. Mine was seriously burning my hands, knees, and feet as I was preparing it. Cool to the touch now.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Asking about the best roof coating is like asking which is the best truck. ๐Ÿ™‚

I've had good luck with Heng's Rubber Roof Coating. It goes on easily and holds up well. And, no primer is needed. YMMV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy with Heng's.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I havenโ€™t used any products yet on mine but watch the Dicor web site for coating a rubber roof with their products. They look like it would do a good job. There are several companies and products out there that you would have to weigh for yourself.