Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Project B.I.G. Built-in Inverter Generator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Project B.I.G. Built-in Inverter Generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will make sure that the carbon monoxide detector is in working condition. If we have co issues in the camper, I will use the venturi, or some other solution.

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carbon monoxide is produced by badly adjusted combustion.
Engines release lot of different poisonous gases.
About 20 years ago I bought 12v plug in detector who had several sensors, including combustion gases. When I had to way to test it, it went off 1 time when on classA I had "doghouse" cover open and diesel engine running.
Have not seen such detector since, so is CO detector the only protection we can get in 21 Century?

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made some more progress on Project BIG today.

I decided that I don't need the outlets on the control panel, since the generator will be hard wired to the campers electrical system. So I pared it down to the essentials, and cut down the control panel. I was planning to mount it in the generator cabinet, and use the wireless remote to operate the generator. But the thought has occured to me of extending the wires and mounting this inside the living space...

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 04/04/20 07:48pm by Hemi Joel *

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have quite a pile of left over parts:

[image]

The dimensions of the generator, all stripped down are 19" x 15" x 12.5" tall. It weighs 55 lbs. THe plate that came with the camper weighs 23 lbs. By the time I get done with this, I expect to add 65 lbs to the camper.

There are 2 fans, one for the engine, and one for the generator. They both exit the same side, and the muffler is located within the shroud for the engine cooling air. So I got some 12 x 2.25 rectangular duct and made it into a shroud to route all the cooling air out the bottom of the mounting plate and into the atmosphere.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THe spark arrestor was attached to a flange at the exit of the muffler with a couple of little metric screws. Since I need to attach the exhaust pipe to it, I drilled and tapped the flange out to 1/4-20.

Then a made up an exhaust pipe flange out of some 5/16" steel plate, and welded a 3/4" pipe nipple to it, at just the right length to reach thru the shroud.

[image]

I ground the mounting surface flat and smooth for a good seal.

[image]

* This post was edited 04/04/20 07:53pm by Hemi Joel *

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used some high temp form-a-gasket and attached it to the muffler.

[image]

Then I installed the outer cover for the shroud, and threaded an elbow onto it.
After the generator is in the camper, I will thread a pipe into the elbow, cut to the proper length, then another elbow to a tailpipe out the back.

[image]

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome build!
Curious on the sheet metal bits, where edges touch other surfaces, folds etc. Will vibration cause noise?
On our built-in, though loud outside not too bad inside, even though on isolators ,its the vibration that's transferred thru out camper that makes it seem loud..Id be tempted to add rubber between mount plate and camper.
But not to distract-enjoying your efforts. Like the remote mounting of panel

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942 wrote:

Awesome build!
Curious on the sheet metal bits, where edges touch other surfaces, folds etc. Will vibration cause noise?

That's a very good point, so I'm going to make sure the sheet metal shroud dosen't touch anything. I think I'll seal it to the base with rubber roofing membrane that won't transmit vibration.

To insulate the cabinet, acoustic ceiling tile seemed like a good idea. So I picked up some glass and some perlite panels. THe first thing was to test them for fire resistance and they passed by not catching fire.

[image]

[image]

Then I glued the glass panels to the 3 sides and the top of the cabinet, then added a layer of perlite to the back and top. The back is adjacent to the basement, the top us directly under the living room floor, the front is an exterior wall and the back is adjacent to the battery compartment. So the top and back are most critical. The front and back are tight for space, so I'll just use the one layer of glass. I'll put some asbestos between the exhaust pipe and the fiberglass for insurance. I'm also going to add a few screws/washers to each panel just in case the glue doesn't hold up.

[image]

[image]

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is an excellent write up............

Tiffin Zephyr(sold)
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/20 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bwc wrote:

I have often thought why camper manufacturers do not at least offer this type of gen set as an option.

It is all about liability. The other mfg's like Honda don't make a built in generator. As far as I know Onan is the only one selling a built in generator. People don't realize how much the cost of product liability insurance is.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Project B.I.G. Built-in Inverter Generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.