Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Project B.I.G. Built-in Inverter Generator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Project B.I.G. Built-in Inverter Generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/20 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This looks very interesting and I wish you luck, its looks like a great project. Please keep the pictures coming and all of your ideas.
When you get the tank and all the other stuff removed take and record some measurements for us, it would be helpful if others want to try the same setup.
Thanks again for sharing this project

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When those aux tanks look good on the picture, how do you fill them with camper on?
Sure with "stay home" orders make it good time for dilemma like that.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy they don't give those pork chop tanks away, do they?

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/20 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tanks are $165 each. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snow-Performance-10-GallonTool-Box-Style-Bed-Mount-Reservoir-/233497849601?hash=item365d8e6f01 I have 3 of them in the truck. I might add another so I still have 3 for diesel. THey are advertised as 10 gal, but they actually hold 12. With the camper mounted on the truck, there is just enuff of a gap to slither a gas pump nozzle in with some degree of difficulty. It has to be a slender handle. Big splash back guards and california emissions boots don't work. I'm thinking about making up some remote filler tubes. I am often pulling a 35' long trailer, so maneuvering into some stations can be a pain. And going thru the truck stop takes forever because a lot of them don't have retail pay-at-the -pump. Thus I like to fill as infrequently as possible, plus avoid fueling up in the states or locations that are the most expensive.

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/20 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sound level inside the RV might be a factor, too. I'm sure it will be louder now when you occupy the TC. But your neighbors will benefit, and so will you when you're outside.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/20 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike, I'm going to add some insulation to try and mitigate the Db's in the camper.

I made some progress on it tonight after supper.

I took the base plate out of the generator compartment. I ended up having to raise the camper of off the truck to get it out.

[image]

The top of the plate had 2 layers of plywood with a white coating screwed and caulked in to form a nice floor for the cabinet. I had to take those out.

[image]

As a pattern to drill holes in the base to mount the generator, I cut up the original base from the generator so it would fit into the recess. THen drilled the holes.

[image]

The rubber cushioned vibration isolator feet are now fitted to the base.

[image]

I cut down the bracket for the inverter, and mounted it to the base, right in front of where the vent in the door is. More bracing will be needed for the top. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to keep it right there. It allows access to the oil and spark plug, but not the carburetor drain. I'm not sure on the air filter access either. Maybe I'll put a remote valve on the carb drain? A little more study is needed. .

[image]

I felt like my work tonight went very well. I hope it keeps working out!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/20 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About carburetor drain. I never used it.
Over the years I had lot of engines who were seasonal and all I did was shutting off the fuel and running carburetor dry.
Surprisingly small lawnmowers can have fuel shut-off valves, but 5l Mercury on the boat did not. I had to add fuel valve to it.
Never had a fuel-related problem.
My Honda 3000 EU is about 15 years old. Still starts on 1st pull.
Have 13 HP Honda in pressure washer, who is about 20 yo.
I had to replace carburetor seals at year 17.
Best was JD tractor with Kubota engine.
Could sit for 2 years and still start on 1st turn and I never drained diesel from it.

bwc

Atlantic Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the many years I have simply filled my gas tanks, added stabil and 6 months later my units always started. My Honda dealer advised not to run my engines dry as this can sometimes suck dirt into carb. I have often thought why camper manufacturers do not at least offer this type of gen set as an option. I would like to have the ability to start with remote than get out in the rain/wind to hook up our Honda 2000i. All the best in your project. You appear to have this under control. Be safe out there.

2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bwc wrote:

I have often thought why camper manufacturers do not at least offer this type of gen set as an option.

I agree..

There is no comparison between a Honda and an Onan for quietness or even the Champion for that matter..Onan built in gen sets are problematic compared to the external set..I have owned a few built in Onan generators with only a tail pipe pointed away from the unit..My last Class C had an Onan below the dinette on the side with the tail pipe pointed away from the unit and window..Certain winds brought the fumes toward the window and we had to close it..

But we never died and I have never heard of a death from a built in generator...

Nice build your doing opp..Thumbs up...

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

I have never heard of a death from a built in generator...

Usually those people don't speak.
When you go to big rally, almost all the time organizers require that build-in generators have Venturi "chimney" to run.
Ask yourself why?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Project B.I.G. Built-in Inverter Generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.