cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM trucks outsell Ford first quarter !

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Well I know there is so much more serious news out there, but I was glad to see the numbers so strong for the first quarter for GM.
83 REPLIES 83

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
librty02 wrote:
Yeah same around here GM was basically giving the trucks away up to 12k off and 0% for 84 months...

Your bias is showing. GM was not doing 12k cash and 0% for 84. Additionally, you had to have near perfect credit to score the 84.

As for the other discussions regarding sales being higher in May for Ford F-series, it is proven that vehicles sales are seasonal based on factors. The auto companies all know and understand, and then we get politics and world impacts that disrupt.

Yes yes they most certainly were giving up to 12k off and 0% for 84 months this wasn't long after christmas...just as some Ford dealers in my area were giving up to 7k off and 0% for 84 months on all 19 Superduty's near the end of March up till March 31...not sure how you could say that is being bias FACTS are not bias :S
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
I'm in the auto industry. I've provided information I've learned from outside of my employer. I also have several friends that are business owners. I've floated trial balloon of 50% small business closure in MI, and nobody has disagreed, and I've had a couple of people suggest I'm being overly optimistic.

GM and FCA have reduced salaried employees pay up to 25%. Ford as of yet hasn't done any salaried reduction program.

OEM's are running on thin profit margins. Chop the top line and it will get very ugly on the bottom line very quickly. Lose just 10% in revenue, your 5-10% margins quickly disappear. Take away 25% of an employees gross pay, and watch how fast they don't lease another 50, or 60, or 60,000 vehicle.

You are right, this is different from '08, IMO, this is much much worse, and my opinion has nothing to do with politics. In fact, I've warned my wife that by the end of summer, I may be done working. Luckily, near the end of my career anyway, and we have put in place our long term planning.

I agree that this may be as bad or worse on the state than 08-09, depending on duration, but I feel that the auto companies are better prepared, and that was my point. I am not sure that the state economy is prepared.

Additionally, it appears that the government is providing more help to more this time. I don't want to start a political discussion, so saying nothing more.

I wish you well through this year. Hopefully the US can recover without serious impact.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
The last time was also extremely different circumstances. I think you know Philh that they all went to their credit tools to have cash, GM and FCA are deferring salary to all salaried workers, some new and enhancement programs (cash sucking activities) have been delayed, and competition is not producing vehicles either.

I am ashamed that you correlated 10.5 to auto bankruptcy.

We need to have compassion for all companies and workers. Regardless of your political beliefs, there are many

I'm in the auto industry. I've provided information I've learned from outside of my employer. I also have several friends that are business owners. I've floated trial balloon of 50% small business closure in MI, and nobody has disagreed, and I've had a couple of people suggest I'm being overly optimistic.

GM and FCA have reduced salaried employees pay up to 25%. Ford as of yet hasn't done any salaried reduction program.

OEM's are running on thin profit margins. Chop the top line and it will get very ugly on the bottom line very quickly. Lose just 10% in revenue, your 5-10% margins quickly disappear. Take away 25% of an employees gross pay, and watch how fast they don't lease another 50, or 60, or 60,000 vehicle.

You are right, this is different from '08, IMO, this is much much worse, and my opinion has nothing to do with politics. In fact, I've warned my wife that by the end of summer, I may be done working. Luckily, near the end of my career anyway, and we have put in place our long term planning.

I truly feel for you guys and I hope that this disaster passes as soon as possible and we can start the recovery process.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
The last time was also extremely different circumstances. I think you know Philh that they all went to their credit tools to have cash, GM and FCA are deferring salary to all salaried workers, some new and enhancement programs (cash sucking activities) have been delayed, and competition is not producing vehicles either.

We need to have compassion for all companies and workers. Regardless of your political beliefs, there are many

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksss wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I'm surprised that the GMC numbers are so low compared to the Chevy since the GMC actually looks good and the Chevy's front end has the only your mother could love look.

I don't think the buyers are finding it nearly as awful as you think it is. You clearly don't like and you have been consistent on that. However that feeling isn't held by as many as you would like to believe. They are selling pretty well. I agree the GMC is more traditional and to some degree I like it better, but I would own a Chevy as well.

Yes the numbers don't lie but I just don't see a lot of these trucks around here (less than a dozen to date). I just seen the first Chevy High Country yesterday and it confirms that it's slightly less ugly than the standard uglier front end. It seams every manufacturer goes thru a period where the design looks terrible and Chevy has this one dialed in.

I wouldn't call the GMC traditional but it looks sooo much better and I actually wouldn't mind owning one.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
I'm surprised that the GMC numbers are so low compared to the Chevy since the GMC actually looks good and the Chevy's front end has the only your mother could love look.

I don't think the buyers are finding it nearly as awful as you think it is. You clearly don't like and you have been consistent on that. However that feeling isn't held by as many as you would like to believe. They are selling pretty well. I agree the GMC is more traditional and to some degree I like it better, but I would own a Chevy as well.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:

How do you know the guy is the "father"? Did you get the birth certificates?
So I guess when a single mother gets a HH house they have to sign a contract that they will not ever have a boyfriend or get married as long as they live.

Unless the mother is lying. As I stated, when we built a home, the people getting the house would come out and help when they could which was usually on weekends when I was volunteering. After working for a while, you get to know them. When you finish the house then you move the next one which was usually next door. While working on the house next door, you would usually see the owner of the last house and talk to them. Some would even flat out tell you hat they do not plan on getting married to them because their benefits will go away.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
NJRVer wrote:

So you lease all your vehicles too?

Don't know how you get internet for a computer without cable or satellite.

These people didn't lease vehicles. I don't think leases would allow you to put the types of wheels, exhaust, and sound systems in their vehicles. I didn't have cable or satellite growing up. It was a luxury that we could not afford. I can't believe you would defend people stealing from those in need.

You can buy used luxury brand for pennies on the dollar. Cheaper than a new econo brand. Cadillac dealer in my area sells 2-3 year old Caddy's for $20,000.
I can't believe you accuse everybody of being a thief.
That must be because you are so young and no life experience.
After all satellite tv has only been mainstream since the 90's and cable only became popular in the '80's.
So if you didn't have them growing up you aren't very old.

These weren't used 2-3 year old Caddy's. These were mostly new trucks and SUVs like H2 Hummers and Excalade's. I call it like I see it, and was far from being the only person there calling them that. I was there, and you were not and yet you are defending something that you were not even there to see. I knew what it was like to grow up poor and only afford what you needed, not luxuries like cable, computers, new trucks with wheels that costs thousands of dollars, sounds systems that cost hundreds, and so on. They were able to do this because they claiming a single mother home to receive benefits even though the father was living there. It was so common that even the lefties(like you) on my crew hated it because even they thought of it as stealing from those who really needed it(unlike you).

And no, cable was mainstream since since the late 70's (even though it has been around since the late 40's) after the FCC lifted rules that limited it's growth in the early 70's. In fact, in 1975, there were 10 million subscribers and 40 million by the end of 1979.

How do you know the guy is the "father"? Did you get the birth certificates?
So I guess when a single mother gets a HH house they have to sign a contract that they will not ever have a boyfriend or get married as long as they live.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
NJRVer wrote:

These people didn't lease vehicles. I don't think leases would allow you to put the types of wheels, exhaust, and sound systems in their vehicles. I didn't have cable or satellite growing up. It was a luxury that we could not afford. I can't believe you would defend people stealing from those in need.

You can buy used luxury brand for pennies on the dollar. Cheaper than a new econo brand. Cadillac dealer in my area sells 2-3 year old Caddy's for $20,000.
After all satellite tv has only been mainstream since the 90's and cable only became popular in the '80's.

These weren't used 2-3 year old Caddy's. These were mostly new trucks and SUVs like H2 Hummers and Excalade's. I call it like I see it, and was far from being the only person there calling them that. I was there, and you were not and yet you are defending something that you were not even there to see. I knew what it was like to grow up poor and only afford what you needed, not luxuries like cable, computers, new trucks with wheels that costs thousands of dollars, sounds systems that cost hundreds, and so on. They were able to do this because they claiming a single mother home to receive benefits even though the father was living there. It was so common that even the lefties(like you) on my crew hated it because even they thought of it as stealing from those who really needed it(unlike you).

And no, cable was mainstream since since the late 70's (even though it has been around since the late 40's) after the FCC lifted rules that limited it's growth in the early 70's. In fact, in 1975, there were 10 million subscribers and 40 million by the end of 1979.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
NJRVer wrote:

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Even with a roommate and social help it's going to be tough to save. Try showing a little compassion in these hard times. Since you are obviously doing OK why don't you donate your stimulus check to those in need?"

I have plenty of compassion. People make choices in their lives.

I will be buying my Daughter that uses a food bank a washer and dryer. She walks to town pulling a cart or takes a taxi to do laundry, this is EXPENSIVE. She has a husband that makes $25 in a lumber mill plus bennies but they are ALWAYS broke. No car and rent is $400. They walk everywhere.

She has told my wife more than once to butt out as "it's my business if I am poor". Her and her husband have tattoos top to bottom and smoke the reefer constantly.

I will NOT give them any money as it will change NOTHING. There are many people in this world like them. This is their life!

By giving them the WD this way they can't PIZZ the money away. In fact I will tell them they need to pay me $30 per month until it's paid off. Do ya think they will do so even tho it's less money than what they actually spend on laundry? I bet not!

So because your daughter behaves like that, then that means everybody else does the exact same thing.
You paint with a very broad brush.

Look at the stats of people that have won a lottery that were poor. Yep they became poor again. Itโ€™s human nature.

There are driven to succeed people and then just good enough.

Same goes for corporations.
So no funding for them either!

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
NJRVer wrote:

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Forget about how got the most sales in the 1st quarter, industry analysts are forecasting 2020 to be a 10.5M year. Last time that happened GM and Chrysler went bankrupt. This will be devastating.

We need to have compassion for all companies and workers. Regardless of your political beliefs, there are many in this nation that will need help or not be able to help others. I have a daughter who is a special education teacher, and she is delivering food to those that will not eat without assistance. I have a daughter in nursing school that has worked 12 hour days in the Covid ICU at one of the "Detroit" hospitals.

Let's all try to have compassion for each other, regardless of whether they prefer gasoline or diesel, or which manufacturer.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS