cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide-Out Backings

gdhoffman51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Phoenix 298RLS and want to put slide-out awnings on it? How do you tell if it has the backings to mount slide-out brackets. I checked with Manufacture, but Virus has sent workers home.
Greg D Hoffman
2 REPLIES 2

DBH_MI
Explorer
Explorer
There probably are no backing plates for the slide out awning mounting brackets. When I installed them on our trailer, the upper bracket screws did go into the slide out top frame, but the lower screws just fastened through the outer skin. Instead of using a butyl sealer under the brackets, I used 3M black two sided tape and melted the screw holes with the soldering iron. This avoids the "squeezing" around the edges and adds a little bonding strength to the sidewall.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I added one to my last trailer. It had the awning rail but I don't think there was any backing plate material in the wall. There was a cabinet inside that I could hide through wall hardware in. I used stainless steele nuts and bolts with fender washers. I used a good sealant and it was very secure and water tight.
FWIW, it was a very useful mod. Not only did it keep all the tree stuff off, it also cut down on the heat that came through the roof and allowed the AC to work better.