cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on new Gas Tow vehicle

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will start this post out by saying I know a diesel would outperform a gas motor. But after reading all the posts of issues with diesels, I am thinking if I buy new, I would go with a gas motor. My current t tow vehicle os a 2003 ford excursion with a V10 and 4:30 gearing. our Current TT weighs in at about 10,500 loaded.
This combination has done everything I could have hoped for in terms of performance.
My wife and I are within 5 years of retirement and are thinking we would like to upgrade to a 5th wheel when this happens. If we were to purchase a 6.6l gm or 6.4l Ram would we comfortably be able to tow a 13,000lb 5th wheel as easily as our 03 excursion tows our current 10,500 TT.????
16 REPLIES 16

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
1700@60?
Shoot, that’s awesome! Could pull 4.56s and have good cruising rpms too!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Since you have time, I would wait until the new Ford 7.3L gets 2~3 years of miles on them and then consider one. Give them time to get the bugs worked out and get the inevitable improvements new vehicles always get.

One thing that currently seems odd is that the F250 only has 2 axle choices, 3.55 and 4.30. Typically there is a 3.73 in there.

The F350 has a choice of 3.73 and 4.30.

Max tow rating on F250/F350 7.3L gas are an amazing 18,000-20,000 lbs (5th wheel).

That's a heck of a spread. I wonder if they'll bring back the 3.73 if the public keeps asking.
I'm cruious what the eng speed is in top gear at 60 with the 4.30? I realize it wont be towing in that gear (?) but we end up doing a fair amount of bob-tailing once we get someplace.

The base tire package is around 32".

With 4.30's in 10th gear (0.632:1) that puts you at ~1700rpm with the converter locked.

Obviously you won't tow in 10th, but unloaded it should cruise around that rpm.

That is great, especially for 4.30 gears. I really don't see you gaining much in the way of fuel mileage dropping down to 3.55's...definitely not enough to offset the loss in towing ability.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Since you have time, I would wait until the new Ford 7.3L gets 2~3 years of miles on them and then consider one. Give them time to get the bugs worked out and get the inevitable improvements new vehicles always get.

One thing that currently seems odd is that the F250 only has 2 axle choices, 3.55 and 4.30. Typically there is a 3.73 in there.

Max tow rating on F250/F350 7.3L gas are an amazing 18,000-20,000 lbs (5th wheel).

That's a heck of a spread. I wonder if they'll bring back the 3.73 if the public keeps asking.
I'm cruious what the eng speed is in top gear at 60 with the 4.30? I realize it wont be towing in that gear (?) but we end up doing a fair amount of bob-tailing once we get someplace.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The heavier the rig you are going to tow, the more sense it makes to do it with a diesel. Talk with 5er owners.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I think TFL also did a run up Ike with the 7.3, older videos of the ford 6.2 showed good performance out of that motor as well. Lots of good choices!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
My take follows ScottG's.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
agesilaus wrote:
This depends on where you are towing, Full Time you will probably hit roads like Utah 12 outside Escalante with a 12% grade. A gasser will do it but it will be running at high rpm. And check out the expected mileage on those gassers, you will think you are driving a big Class A. You will join that bunch of irritating posters who continuously put up posts saying "how to I get to point B from point A without any steep roads?"

Cranking up the RPM on a properly running engine does no harm.

Unless you are doing 30-50k miles per year, you aren't going to make up the initial price on fuel savings with a diesel.

Modern gas engines have incredible power compared to 25-30yrs ago. 350-400hp is normal and plenty of power.

Where a diesel offers advantage:
- Turbo means you don't lose power with altitude...but unless you get extreme, it shouldn't be a real problem.
- Newer diesel trucks have engine braking...which is a really nice feature coming down mountains.

Unless you plan to spend a lot of time in the mountains, diesel falls into nice but not needed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking too, mainly at the Ram because some 2019's are still available and the prices are 40 or less on the tradesmen 2500's. The 8 speed seems to be an improvement and the folks on here with them dont seem to be having too many issues.
The new Ford would be my preference, but a new Engine AND a new tranny all in one year worries me.
As to your towing , maybe take a look at the TFL Truck guys videos, they have recently tried them and the 6.6 chevy 3/4 ton trucks on the Ike pulling 16000 lbs. They are supposedly doing a 6.4 Ram sometime soon, the latest one I know of was back when they still had the six speed.
Chevy
Ford

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
mrad wrote:
We are in no hurry to buy. It will most likely be two years before we purchase a vehicle. however, I was looking online at some of the 6.6 gassers and saw they could be bought for $42,000. I would like to see some opinions on the Ford 7.3 when they release it. Does anyone know when they wil be available?

They are available now.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are in no hurry to buy. It will most likely be two years before we purchase a vehicle. however, I was looking online at some of the 6.6 gassers and saw they could be bought for $42,000. I would like to see some opinions on the Ford 7.3 when they release it. Does anyone know when they wil be available?

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a GM, I would wait until they offer the 10 speed with 4.10 gears. I am not a Ford guy but that 7.3 with the 10 speed and 4.30 gears looks awesome.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve been reading and researching the new gassers also. I’ve got a 2002 Chevy gasser that I’ll need to replace at some point. I think 13k is about max I’d want to tow with a gasser. In mountains I’m sure a diesel, but most of the time I think the gasser would be fine. The emissions on the new diesels worry me.

Right now the Ram 6.4 would be my first choice. Everyone is loving the new 8spd trans. Used to there were complaints with the 6 spd being 2 spread out and having bad shift points. I think GM screwed up using a 6spd, I’m beginning to here the same complaints about it. I think the ford will end up the leader of the gassers, having more power, and the 10 spd.

I really wanted to like the new Chevy since my old one has been so good, but I just don’t want that 6 spd.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Personally, I feel like 13K of trailer is on the edge of being too much for a gas engine but I appreciate, and agree with your assessment of the current diesels.
If I had to buy right now, I would go with the Ram's 6.4L.