cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brakes Stopped Working after CW Visit.

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what is going on. The brakes worked fine when the trailer went into the shop 5 months ago.

Had warranty work done, one of which was to change a leaf spring out. When we received the trailer, I noticed it had a new breakaway switch in the pin. Not sure why but didnโ€™t ask and was not part of the warranty work.

On the way out the truck wave me a warning to check the trailer wiring so I played with the pigtail and the brakes worked. I got the notice on and off an the way home.

Yesterday I played with the pigtail but still have the problem but now I have no brakes more than having brakes.

Last thing I did before putting it away was pull the breakaway cord hoping the brakes wild lock. Nope.

So, I have no power going to the brakes. The light work fine.

Iโ€™m calling CW to see what the hell they did to the brake wiring. I know this will mean taking my trailer back to CW, but itโ€™s a 3 hour round trip and God knows how much lost time in the shop. If itโ€™s an easy diagnosis and fix, Iโ€™d rather do that.
2018 GMC Seirra 3500 Denali SRW
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2019 Polaris XP1000 Trail and Rocks edition
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats
20 REPLIES 20

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
First issue was leaving it with them 5 months, lots of time to mess things up.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I would ask why there is a new breakaway switch on your trailer when they were supposed to change a leaf spring. The two are not related and you have a right to know what happened to your trailer that they felt they had to put a switch on. Their answer might give you a clue to why your brakes aren't working well. But regardless of that, if I was you I would be cutting out and redoing every connection from the umbilical cord to the each brake magnet.

Also many times the brake wires get chafed where they run through the inside of the axle and short to ground. If you do the connections over it would be a good idea to run new wires along the outside of the axles. Get some long zip ties and run the wire behind the axle to protect it from flying debris when driving down the road.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if they put on a new break away switch they may have screwed up the wiring job and or connections. or the break away switch is faulty

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
ugeesta wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
K Charles wrote:
Maybe they broke a wire when they dropped the axle.

If I had to guess I'd say the probability of this is in the 99+% range.

Would that provide intermittent complete brake failure or just affect the single brake?...

That depends upon if the broken or poor connection is between the plug and all of the brakes or just at one wheel. There needs to be a complete reliable connection from the plug to all brakes, including power and ground.

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
K Charles wrote:

Would that provide intermittent complete brake failure or just affect the single brake?...
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
K Charles wrote:

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Big_Dog2
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem several years ago. It turned out to be a ground wire in the pigtail was loose. I recommend you check/tighten all the connections inside the pigtail. Hope your issue is resolved as easily as mine was. Good luck.
I am living proof that you are never too old to do something foolish.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You noticed the brake issue when? Five months ago?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
Did you drive without the breakaway cable? Hence the brakes were on, overheated and likely now ruined? Sounds like it.

Yes/no. I pulled the breakaway cable and drove for about 30 feet. Just enough to see if the brakes worked.
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:

What does "I have no brakes more than having brakes" mean?

It means the brakes would work intermittently. Iโ€™m going to try to clean the plug a little better an apply some dielectric grease to see if that helps
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ugeesta wrote:
Had warranty work done, one of which was to change a leaf spring out. When we received the trailer, I noticed it had a new breakaway switch in the pin. Not sure why but didnโ€™t ask and was not part of the warranty work.

On the way out the truck wave me a warning to check the trailer wiring so I played with the pigtail and the brakes worked. I got the notice on and off an the way home.
Did you drive without the breakaway cable? Hence the brakes were on, overheated and likely now ruined? Sounds like it.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
ugeesta wrote:
K Charles wrote:

I checked all the connections at the brakes and they looked good.

Looks are deceiving. Looking good and an actual good connection are 2 different things.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I get the check trailer wiring almost every time I hook up. I have to wrap a bungy around the 7-pin cable and connector to pull it tight up to the truck. I think the connector pins have spread and don't make good contact - time to replace that connector. You may have that problem.

OTOH, if your trailer battery is charged, pulling the breakaway pin must give you brakes regardless of the condition of the cable/connector at the truck end.

I've seen trailer brakes that were incorrectly wired in series instead of parallel. They don't work well that way.

What does "I have no brakes more than having brakes" mean?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
ugeesta wrote:
K Charles wrote:

I checked all the connections at the brakes and they looked good.

Check for voltage at the brake itself with a meter and the brakes applied
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"