cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot Spot

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the past, I have used my cell phone as a hot spot while we traveled. The last couple of times I could not make the computer see the iPhone. I could get the computer to 'show available networks' but could not get a connection. On the other side, the iPhone did not seem to be connecting telling me did not have wifi. We were in a Ga state park with no wifi.
Obviously I am lacking something here. Perhaps it is enough savvy to do something I am not seeing. help?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow
13 REPLIES 13

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
This happen often with my iphone. If I turn the hotspot off for 10 seconds and then turn it back on, my laptop will usually connect. You might have to get the laptop to refresh the wifi search.

You might want to do a "hard shut down" on the computer.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
This happen often with my iphone. If I turn the hotspot off for 10 seconds and then turn it back on, my laptop will usually connect. You might have to get the laptop to refresh the wifi search.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have tried most of what was suggested. Rebooting computer (didn't try the phone however - will turn it off and wait for a while and try again) We had good tower signal, I was able to send photos to my kids from the site. I tried every combination I could think of. as a friend of my once said, 'the older I get, the more confused I become'
I have an account at Best Buy and I will likely make a run there if we ever get the Shelter in Place order lifted.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Data from your carrier is used for a hotspot, with a weak or no data connection a phone hotspot will not work.
When you turn on your phones hotspot the phones WIFI turns off.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
You might try calling your cellular carrier. It could be the plan you are on has a restriction of some kind. Or maybe Apple has made a change on the phone that is causing a problem. Either way your cell providers tech support line should be able to figure it out.

My cell provider (AT&T) informed me that the data base plan I had would have down load restrictions after I reached my current data plan limits. I would have to upgrade my plan to get faster speed and avoid problems with using hot spot connections.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok this is from "other sources" There is a reason I don't have an I(incompatable) phone... This is not it (the reason is older than the phone)

Open the phone hotspot. Turn it OFF. Open the Computer's wi-fi connection tool. Turn on the Hotspot and then tell the computer to search. You have a short time I think 5 minutes) to connect.. then the phone goes "Dark".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
You might try calling your cellular carrier. It could be the plan you are on has a restriction of some kind. Or maybe Apple has made a change on the phone that is causing a problem. Either way your cell providers tech support line should be able to figure it out.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
My hot spot won't work if the Wi-Fi is on.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
You're probably way beyond this, but you did not mention that you actually turn the phone setting to "on" as a hotspot. Do you do that?
There is something special about camping in an RV.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Markโ€™s post.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Iโ€™ve often had to play games to get some devices connected.
Like going into settings and turning wifi off then back on. Rebooting the laptop, etc.

Esp. after itโ€™s been sitting idle.

Ditto! Ditto! I also called my service carrier and up graded my data plan. Part of issue can be related to with your location from the nearest signal tower.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Rebooting things is what usually works.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ve often had to play games to get some devices connected.
Like going into settings and turning wifi off then back on. Rebooting the laptop, etc.

Esp. after itโ€™s been sitting idle.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.